Casual Look for CMs???

raven

It was on my last trip to Disney that I started really noticing somethings about the cast members. This trip was in late September, and I noticed that they did not have too many college age CM. I think this back when they were not employing as many people. I noticed that there was a CM with us on the nearly empty monorail in the middle of the afternoon. He was still wearing his work uniform (from a ride in Epcot) but was wondering if anyone has an answer where he could have been going to.

Most likely to the TTC to catch a bus. This is actually fine with Disney. As for the low number of CPs, you could've been there between the groups that come in.

What the hell are you talking about? CPs have no rights and are expendable to Disney. It says right in the contract that Disney can fire them without cause.

True. But in a lot of areas CPs are given more recognition, get thrown parties from the company and get special treatment, sometimes including prefered work schedules to be allowed to party, and they take advantage of the situation. As you can probably tell this doesn't sit well with regular CMs who've been around for years often with no recognition.

Dwarful

Maybe i am crazy, but WHO WEARS PANTYHOSE ANYMORE??? I work in a professional environment and i have not seen a lady in them in years!

Now- Character costumes etc, sure they would need them as part of the character, but for women in general, I think it is a smart move to get rid of them! YUCK! I cannot even FATHOM having to put a pair on anymore!

Most of the teachers in our district still wear them..even new hires. Open toe shoes are forbidden as well. But when wearing dresses/skirts in the winter..you want that thin layer when you have outside recess duty.

Horizons1

True. But in a lot of areas CPs are given more recognition, get thrown parties from the company and get special treatment, sometimes including prefered work schedules to be allowed to party, and they take advantage of the situation. As you can probably tell this doesn't sit well with regular CMs who've been around for years often with no recognition.

Not at all. CMs around the company are always recognized when they do an outstanding job, whether they are a CP or not. CPs do not get the padded lifestyle from the mouse that you seem to think they do.

TheBeatles

Raven, please show me where this is happening so I can transfer there :ROFLOL:

niteobsrvr

Also, (I don't think I'll ever forget this one) but after leaving Illuminations, there are CM waving with big Micky gloves by the big fountain, and I saw a CM talking on her cell phone. :mad:

I fail to see a problem with this Mickey Hand waving thing. IN fact, the company looks favorably upon it as most guests react in a positive manner and it eventually seels a lot of big overpriced Mickey hands.

I also would love to know more about the CM talking on a phone. Was she in costume? Could she have been a manager with a Blackberry?

Duckberg

The whole Camp Shirt thing for men is unfortunate, in my opinion. You rarely see men wearing them here in SoCal (Hawaiian shirts are something else entirely, which you do see in SoCal), but when I'm back East on business I do see guys trying to pull that Camp Shirt look off in the office or at a nice dinner. It rarely works for them.

A Camp Shirt is the male equivalent of the housedress or muu-muu. It's just a big, overcut swath of fabric that an overweight and/or maturing man likes to wear because it makes them feel like they are camoflauging it. It's not really camoflauged though, it's just covered in billowing fabric without much style.

It's rather unfortunate Disney felt they needed to lower their standards and allow men to wear Camp Shirts to the office. It's very rarely a flattering look. :rolleyes:

Its the TIMES we live in!!! Duckberg :cool:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Its the TIMES we live in!!! Duckberg :cool:

What part of his post were you referring to? The unfortunate part? The part about people in So Cal not wearing these shirts? The part about older men hiding their flab? The part about how the shirts are unflattering?

Phonedave

Not to get off topic, although this thread has drifted farther than a hobo, but could you film that and post it on Youtube? Thanks in advance! :lol:

Specifics?

Used or fresh motor oil? 10W40? 10W30?

Serrated knife (Ow!) ?

Need to do this right. :)

-dave

rsoxguy

Specifics?

Used or fresh motor oil? 10W40? 10W30?

Serrated knife (Ow!) ?

Need to do this right. :)

-dave

In answer to your query, new 5w30 oil with a Rambo-like knife. One more request, if you will; it would be peachy if you could play "I'm a man" by the Spencer Davis Group as the background music on the video. Again, thanks in advance for your effort. :)

raven

Not at all. CMs around the company are always recognized when they do an outstanding job, whether they are a CP or not. CPs do not get the padded lifestyle from the mouse that you seem to think they do.

That statement can't be any farther from the truth. That's what most people believe but not all department heads even care. "Do this or else, We are always watching you, You guys can't do anything right" are words we hear nearly every shift because they rule with fea and we have more complaints filed to HR in a month than most others have in a year. The CMs I work with often joke that our motto should be "Show up, Shut up, Don't F*** up."

Raven, please show me where this is happening so I can transfer there :ROFLOL:

Epcot FW attractions.

wedway71

My problem would not be with the CP's that are not in dress code. My issue is with the Leadership that allows this to go on. They are entrusted to enforce policy and if they cant seem to do it, I will take over if they wish.:wave: I was at Director level with 400 Team Members and 12 Managers and have NO problem enforcing rules....:D

thegeneral01

That statement can't be any farther from the truth. That's what most people believe but not all department heads even care. "Do this or else, We are always watching you, You guys can't do anything right" are words we hear nearly every shift because they rule with fea and we have more complaints filed to HR in a month than most others have in a year. The CMs I work with often joke that our motto should be "Show up, Shut up, Don't F*** up." -Raven

If you have a problem with your department, go to your park's Leadership team. The VP of Epcot, loves to hear from Cast Members. Also, should your department really be using that as your motto? Not very "above and beyond" to me.

Now as for giving the public the general misconception about how full time Cast Members are recognized vs CPs are recognized, I can firmly attest that all Cast Members are treated equally. Now I do apologize that this may not be true in your department, but you need to stop making blanket statements about how CPs are always treated better than FTs. Once again, if you have a comment about this, go speak to the Park leadership team.

Sometimes, I notice many CPs doing their best and going above and beyond because they want to go somewhere in the company, while others are just goofing off. It's like any work environment. I can also say that at the same time for full timers, I see many doing their best and going above and beyond, but I still see others goofing off. I'm very confident from my experience that if we replaced all the CP college name tags with regular ones, that no one on the boards would be able to tell the difference between a CP and a FT. Overall, I find the quality of CMs at every level to be pretty equal and do an awesome job of providing awesome guest service.

I would like to also clear up some things that Raven has eluded to in the past about CPs and full time CMs

Fact: CPs trade or even give away shifts to Full Timers/Part Timers who want shifts, so yes they are giving away a shift and thus making their "own" schedule. By doing this they are able to go out and have a good time. Yes a leadership team may make certain exceptions and they may alter a CPs schedule for a special circumstance, but it is no different than going to your leader as a Full timer and asking them for help to trade or give away a shift for a special engagement, it is done all the time.

Fact: CPs get paid minimum wage, no holiday pay, different overtime rules, very few benefits compared to full timers and part timers, etc. So is it ok that instead of the company paying CPs more they can give the CPs a party to keep up morale?, I think that is very fair.

Raven please stop making these blanket statements regarding the working conditions of CMs at WDW, each area is different, as many CMs can attest. And all CMs are treated equally in many departments around WDW, and once again if you have a problem, go speak to your park's leadership team and stop complaining to the people on WDWMAGIC who have no control of the park.

Tigerace81

Don't they have foremen and supervisors to handle this sort of thing? If there are rules against that, those CM's shouldn't be allowed to start their shifts by their immediate supervisors until they fix the issue.

Why wouldn't immediate supervision in the park take care of those types of glaring problems? :confused:

Because, then they wouldnt have anyone else to work that area.

Tigerace81

If you are cutting yourself with every shave to the point of bleeding, you are doing something very, very wrong. In the 21st century Western world, the only reason why a man would be cutting themselves more than a few times a year while shaving is because they are using cheap and old razors, too little shaving cream, or they have a horrible and ineffective technique.

You don't have to spend 100 bucks at a swanky store like The Art Of Shaving (although I admit to splurging there once in awhile, and it's worth it). But you should go down to Target or WalMart ASAP and spend 20 bucks on a basic Mach 5 razor from Gillette and some good brand name shaving cream for "sensitive skin". Read the directions, and follow them. Want to really splurge? Spend another 20 bucks on pre-shaving oil and/or conditioning aftershave. Then plan on spending another 12 to 15 bucks every month to buy a 4-pack of replacement razors, and replace them every 7 to 10 days, for the rest of your life. It's part of being a man.

Every once in awhile even a careful shaver will nick themselves. But if you are seriously experiencing skin irritation and regular bleeding, something has gone very, very wrong in your shaving regimen. :confused:

In the 21st century for someone living above the poverty level, that's simply not an excuse for not shaving 5 or 6 days per week.

I have to shave pretty much every other day to meet school standards. But I dont nick myself and I dont recommend razors. Go out and buy a nice new mid-level remington electric razor and you'll see a world of difference. Although its only good when you need to keep a clean shaven look. But once you get it down short enough just run the top of it along your face to get rid of the small hairs that are left. Pretty cheap and you dont have to replace the blade or razor as often.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Incorrect. I am the same way. I can not shave but every 2-3 days. My skin is very sensitive and while I don't nick myself I wind up with dozens of bloody areas on my face. They are very superficial and don't bleed for a very long time at all but the skin just becomes raw and red. I use new razors, and soften up with warm water and soapy lotiony lather beforehand to no avail.

On a serious note, women belong in trousers and shouldn't be showing ANY leg at Disney.

I thought the phrase was "barefoot and pregnant"?

PurpleDragon

Try the old school foamy stuff. I used to use the modern sensitive skin gel and always had burn. But while I was deployed all I could get was the foam and it turned out to be a windfall. It really works better for me and it is way cheaper.

I may give that a shot, however if I shave every 3 days I find that I can shave dry, as long as I take a really hot shower before hand and soften the stubble up. :p

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
facepalm_anim_test-03.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom