Casual Look for CMs???

TP2000

I think Disney should remove their ban on facial hair (semi-serious). It is a good idea but I used to have a nice goatee and trying to shave everyday kills my face. It gets so cut up and I hate it I just wish I could have a day where my face didn't start bleeding because I needed to shave.

If you are cutting yourself with every shave to the point of bleeding, you are doing something very, very wrong. In the 21st century Western world, the only reason why a man would be cutting themselves more than a few times a year while shaving is because they are using cheap and old razors, too little shaving cream, or they have a horrible and ineffective technique.

You don't have to spend 100 bucks at a swanky store like The Art Of Shaving (although I admit to splurging there once in awhile, and it's worth it). But you should go down to Target or WalMart ASAP and spend 20 bucks on a basic Mach 5 razor from Gillette and some good brand name shaving cream for "sensitive skin". Read the directions, and follow them. Want to really splurge? Spend another 20 bucks on pre-shaving oil and/or conditioning aftershave. Then plan on spending another 12 to 15 bucks every month to buy a 4-pack of replacement razors, and replace them every 7 to 10 days, for the rest of your life. It's part of being a man.

Every once in awhile even a careful shaver will nick themselves. But if you are seriously experiencing skin irritation and regular bleeding, something has gone very, very wrong in your shaving regimen. :confused:

In the 21st century for someone living above the poverty level, that's simply not an excuse for not shaving 5 or 6 days per week.

sublimesting

If you are cutting yourself with every shave to the point of bleeding, you are doing something very, very wrong. In the 21st century Western world, the only reason why a man would be cutting themselves more than a few times a year while shaving is because they are using cheap and old razors, too little shaving cream, or they have a horrible and ineffective technique.

You don't have to spend 100 bucks at a swanky store like The Art Of Shaving (although I admit to splurging there once in awhile, and it's worth it). But you should go down to Target or WalMart ASAP and spend 20 bucks on a basic Mach 5 razor from Gillette and some good brand name shaving cream for "sensitive skin". Read the directions, and follow them. Want to really splurge? Spend another 20 bucks on pre-shaving oil and/or conditioning aftershave. Then plan on spending another 12 to 15 bucks every month to buy a 4-pack of replacement razors, and replace them every 7 to 10 days, for the rest of your life. It's part of being a man.

Every once in awhile even a careful shaver will nick themselves. But if you are seriously experiencing skin irritation and regular bleeding, something has gone very, very wrong in your shaving regimen. :confused:

In the 21st century for someone living above the poverty level, that's simply not an excuse for not shaving 5 or 6 days per week.

Incorrect. I am the same way. I can not shave but every 2-3 days. My skin is very sensitive and while I don't nick myself I wind up with dozens of bloody areas on my face. They are very superficial and don't bleed for a very long time at all but the skin just becomes raw and red. I use new razors, and soften up with warm water and soapy lotiony lather beforehand to no avail.

On a serious note, women belong in trousers and shouldn't be showing ANY leg at Disney.

cblodg

Original Poster
Really the enforcement on costuming regulations is up to the management of each particular area. Some places are more relaxed than others. I worked in costuming, and I had a coworker who had tattoos on his arms, at one location nobody cared and at another he had to wear a long-sleeved undershirt all the time because the manager called him on it. I've been called on having earrings that were dangly and got away with it at another location.

Working in costuming we try to get people on the proper Disney Look, but after they go to their work location, there isn't much we can do.

Another fun tidbit: bottoms have to be worn at the belly button, no lower. I know quite a few men who could never survive that rule. And also if you get pants that are too long and end up stepping on them and ripping them, you will get charged for it.

I always find myself looking at CMs at the park and picking out things they need to change. I just wish I had the power to say something about it.

That's where pants should be, the "natural waist." I don't know why I have to see the underwear of just about every male in the area, you aren't a gangster, pull your pants up!

PurpleDragon

I disagree!! I have been using a Mach 3 Razor for years, I replace the blades religiously and I still get terrible razor burn and cuts if I shave everyday. I've tried using sensitive skin shaving cream as well as aftershaves and the like, nothing seems to work. So I only shave every 2-3 days to avoid this issue, my office doesn't mind so its not a problem. TBH, I think a little bit of stubble is more appealing than red razor burned cheeks and cuts all over the place.

Just because you do not have sensitive skin and have not experienced these problems, does not mean that there is something wrong with the rest of us simply because we have.

Phonedave

There are many many people, some on these boards that CANNOT shave.

It's not a matter of poor technique or cheap supplies, but it is a medical condition.

I am lucky, I can shave using motor oil and a steak knife if I have to. But to tell people that the reason they bleed is because they are either too cheap or don't know what they are doing is wrong.

-dave

Eyorefan

I'll admit that I have yet to see a tattoo on a CM, but I have seen badly worn sneakers on some of the younger CMs and can only guess those are CPs. IMO, Disney does it right. I know I'm gonna get ripped apart for this, but this whole "free to be you and me" stuff has gone too far. Where I work, dental insurance company, it is business casual but must avoid the three B's (, butt and belly). Also, we have turned down so many 'young professionals' because they have a tattoo on their necks and would be in the public eye. It's simply not professional. As I told a friend, you do what corporate wants, or you don't get a corporate job.

OT, but this comment reminded me of something I witnessed when I was shoping for a good tattoo artist a few year ago. A young college kid (who looked to be 18-20) came in to a tattoo shop I was in and said he wanted to have his neck tattooed. Every artist in that shop refused to do it and explained that the kid was too young to limite his job opptions that much. Yeah... guess where I decided to get my tattoo done.

cblodg

Original Poster
OT, but this comment reminded me of something I witnessed when I was shoping for a good tattoo artist a few year ago. A young college kid (who looked to be 18-20) came in to a tattoo shop I was in and said he wanted to have his neck tattooed. Every artist in that shop refused to do it and explained that the kid was too young to limite his job opptions that much. Yeah... guess where I decided to get my tattoo done.
I can understand the want to get a tattoo, but I do applaud those artists for saying that. How did yours turn out?

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Maybe i am crazy, but WHO WEARS PANTYHOSE ANYMORE??? I work in a professional environment and i have not seen a lady in them in years!

I do! :wave: I've got legs whiter than (the great white whale of literature), and I find self-tanner more of a pain than wearing hosiery. :D

However, I also live in the Northeast, where we've got less of a heat-and-humidity issue than you do down South.

stlbobby

I disagree!! I have been using a Mach 3 Razor for years, I replace the blades religiously and I still get terrible razor burn and cuts if I shave everyday. I've tried using sensitive skin shaving cream as well as aftershaves and the like, nothing seems to work. So I only shave every 2-3 days to avoid this issue, my office doesn't mind so its not a problem. TBH, I think a little bit of stubble is more appealing than red razor burned cheeks and cuts all over the place.

Just because you do not have sensitive skin and have not experienced these problems, does not mean that there is something wrong with the rest of us simply because we have.

Try the old school foamy stuff. I used to use the modern sensitive skin gel and always had burn. But while I was deployed all I could get was the foam and it turned out to be a windfall. It really works better for me and it is way cheaper.

stlbobby

Solution to this: have a professional barber shave you every month or two months and then use an electric razor.

Where do you get a barber shave? I haven't been able to find a place. In some states and municipalities it is actually illegal.

stlbobby

Not here in NH. We have a couple of good barbers right in the capital area.

Too far for me to go for a shave. You are lucky. I've actually researched this a bit and there are very few places left that do a real hot shave.

When AIDS hit in the eighties, there was a bit of an overreaction and while some places made the shaves illegal, most shops just quit doing it out of fear for themselves and their customers. Plus the demand dropped due to fear.

The problem with bringing it back, I've been told, is that so few people practice it there aren't enough people to teach. It is a dying art.

s.ollie

I think its good for Disney to give their staff members the option to wear or not to wear hosiery, the company i work for recently disbanded this rule but i choose to still wear as i feel its more professional and as i work with the public slightly more nicer for people to look at than my white (read Blue/grey) irish legs. Tanning on a daily basis days a year is just not worth the effort

s.ollie

Oh and as for visible tattoo's, i am going tomorrow to get my new tattoo, a Mickey Mouse symbol on my foot which will be quite visible in certain footwear, i wonder how Disney would view that if i worked there. as technically i would still be promoting and advertising its product :ROFLOL:

all_hollows

It was on my last trip to Disney that I started really noticing somethings about the cast members. This trip was in late September, and I noticed that they did not have too many college age CM. I think this back when they were not employing as many people. I noticed that there was a CM with us on the nearly empty monorail in the middle of the afternoon. He was still wearing his work uniform (from a ride in Epcot) but was wondering if anyone has an answer where he could have been going to. Also, (I don't think I'll ever forget this one) but after leaving Illuminations, there are CM waving with big Micky gloves by the big fountain, and I saw a CM talking on her cell phone. :mad:

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I think its good for Disney to give their staff members the option to wear or not to wear hosiery, the company i work for recently disbanded this rule but i choose to still wear as i feel its more professional and as i work with the public slightly more nicer for people to look at than my white (read Blue/grey) irish legs. Tanning on a daily basis days a year is just not worth the effort

My thoughts exactly, and my reason for doing the same. :D :lol: I wouldn't be able to stand the sight of my own bare legs while dressed for work, never mind other people.

And, in case anyone thinks we are exaggerating, see this excerpt from Ireland for Beginners (a funny email that I got a long time ago):

The Wearing of the Green :
Strangely enough, Irish people tend to wear everything except green, which is associated with too many national tragedies, including 1798, the Famine and the current Irish soccer team. It's possible that green just doesn't suit the Irish skin colour, which is generally pale blue (see Weather).​

:ROFLOL:

TP2000

There are many many people, some on these boards that CANNOT shave.

It's not a matter of poor technique or cheap supplies, but it is a medical condition.

I've had sensitive facial skin and some pretty severe medical skin issues my whole life too. Sensitive skin not just on my face, but hands/arms/legs as well. I had to learn quickly as a late teen that the proper prep and good supplies helps immensely when it's time to shave in the morning.

Funny story; I forgot my shaving supplies on a recent overnight trip. I had to go down to a 24 hour convenience store and buy cheap disposable razors and generic shave gel and I cut myself a half dozen times. :rolleyes:

The Mach 3 was good in the 1990's, but the Mach 5 Fusion has been a blessing when it came out 5 years ago. I just bought their new Mach 5 Fusion ProGlide, and it's even better. And like you, I also have found that good quality shaving foam is kinder to my skin than the newer gels. But you have to PREP your skin first and use a great razor and proper techniques.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
That's where pants should be, the "natural waist." I don't know why I have to see the underwear of just about every male in the area, you aren't a gangster, pull your pants up!

If more people knew where wearing your pants on the ground originated they would be wearing them around the tits.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom