Cast member injured at Animal Kingdom

PalisadesPkteer

I am so saddened to hear of this tragic accident.

My heart felt thoughts and prayers are with this man's family.

I know they put in sensors when they had the other accident. Wondering if this was a different area of the ride for this accident.

May we all keep this man's family in our thoughts and pray for them to heal from this tragedy.

sbkline

As I was listening to that audio, I couldn't help thinking that as important as all the facts are, they are wasting alot of time asking questions when they need to just be getting the ambulance on the way, and I was hoping there was someone else there actually dispatching the help while the other guy was busy on the phone. I guess that question was answered when the paramadics arrived at the end of the phone call, which was only about 4 1/2 minutes long. So, apparently very good response time!

But very sad to hear the news that he didn't make it. :(

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
As I was listening to that audio, I couldn't help thinking that as important as all the facts are, they are wasting alot of time asking questions when they need to just be getting the ambulance on the way, and I was hoping there was someone else there actually dispatching the help while the other guy was busy on the phone. I guess that question was answered when the paramadics arrived at the end of the phone call, which was only about 4 1/2 minutes long. So, apparently very good response time!

If it is like every other 911 office the ambulance was probably on its way 20 seconds into that call. As soon as the operator has even an inkling of what is going on he dispatches the appropriate personal via his/her computer keyboard. The information they gather is continuously fed the the people in route so they do not get to a scene blind. If everything goes correctly they will know what they will need in way of equipment and what they will need to do before they get out of the vehicle.

Scuttle

Very sad. I hate to hear this stuff. I wonder if my best friends father, who worked as a attraction mechanic on everest knew him. So sad my condolences go out to everyone involved.

sweetpee_1993

When I worked 911 calltakers took calls in one room while dispatchers actually sent units to the calls from another room. They were positions in 2 separate rooms with completely different functions. Where I worked (St.Tammany Parish, Louisiana) we had 4 calltakers, 2 dispatchers for 3 districts, and an NCIC operator. When a 911 call came in that was high priority the calltaker would quickly grab the location & very basic info then send the call so it could be dispatched. While units are on the way the calltaker stayed on the line continuing to get information and update the call in the computer. All updates showed up on the dispatcher's screen as well as on the mobile computers in each unit's vehicle. This is how we handled things like possible intruders or anything "in-progress". We did not handle any medical calls. They were always immediately routed to the appropriate ambulance service with personnel who could give medical instruction. Generally we connected the call to medical then muted ourselves out so we could listen & still enter the call information into our system so we could alert our deputies what the ambulances or fire rescue were running code to. Generally if it was life threatening or involved a child our units would respond as well if they were able. Either way, the length of time a caller spends on the phone has no bearing on response time. In fact, keeping a caller on the line to continually get information for serious emergencies is crucial to an appropriate, timely response.

I didn't hear the tape when I read the update earlier because I read it on my iPhone. I'll have to go back & give a listen.

sweetpee_1993

Finally listened to the call. Operator sounded good to me. Got good location info. That's most important.

sounded like the 911 operator wasn't to familiar with PW or for that matter AK itself.

I thought he did because his first question was "Load or unload?" He was familiar with the ride function and the previous accident. Sounded like he was unfamiliar with the fact that the ride was shut down for refurb but that's not that big a deal. Most locals don't track that stuff the way we do unless they're one of us. LOL! The continual talking and repetitive questions serve 2 functions. First, you want to keep a caller who's in a high-stress situation talking and focused to keep them calm and in a helpful state of mind. Second, it's not uncommon for a caller in a stressful situation to answer simple questions incorrectly for obvious reasons. That's normal. By asking repetitive questions especially about location hopefully you're getting the caller to focus on that simple bit of info. Location is everything. Without location, an operator cannot help anybody.

Oh wow, that's just brutal.

Did I hear it correctly that they blanked out a section of that call? Something along the lines of "he's missing....."?

Grim.

Yeah, I picked that up, too. Sounded pretty bad. The caller did a really fantastic job. He really did. He stayed calm in an obviously tough situation. I was impressed by how right away he was giving the location info so clearly. He did really great and, no doubt, facilitated a faster response time for his coworker. Sounded like everyone who was there at the time of the accident did a good job of staying calm and helpful. I've had calls where people are freaking out and lots of screaming and hysteria. Those are so much harder because one hysterical person causes panic and makes it harder on everyone else to stay focused. I don't think the gentleman who got hurt could've been in better hands.

Tough all the way around. Hate to hear it. I imagine that is a really dangerous ride to work on/around.

lazyboy97o

Correct me if I am mistaken but isn't PW an off the shelf coaster? If that is indeed the case do the other coasters have the same issues or is this a case of WDW getting a 1.0 model that is riddled with issues that have been corrected in later designs?
It is a wild mouse from Reverchon Industries of France. While their portfolio is not that large, Primeval Whirl is not their first spinning wild mouse. I think similar persistent issues with other Reverchon coasters would be mentioned on other sites that are more general on their theme park coverage. It may well be the result of significant modifications on the part of Disney, which Intamin blamed for the 2005 collision on California Screamin'.

WDW2010

My condolensces go to his family, it's terrible that this happened.

Originally Posted by ChrisM
Oh wow, that's just brutal.

Did I hear it correctly that they blanked out a section of that call? Something along the lines of "he's missing....."?

Grim.

I'm going to back and listen to it one more time, terrible :(

chargerag

How exactly was the person injured? Was he on the tracks and a car hit him?

Also i may have this confused with another coaster but when this ride first opened were you able to spin your car much like the tea cups? maybe i am confused.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom