Cast member injured at Animal Kingdom

Phonedave

How exactly was the person injured? Was he on the tracks and a car hit him?

Also i may have this confused with another coaster but when this ride first opened were you able to spin your car much like the tea cups? maybe i am confused.

No, the car spins - or more accurately turns as designed. It is not a free spinning car nor do you have any control over it.

I do not know the facts, but judging by the 911 tapes, he was on the track, was hit by the car and fell. I don't know it if was the impact of the car or the impact of the ground that did the major damage.

-dave

sweetpee_1993

So, out of curiosity what was he missing? You can PM me.

I PM'd ya.

Yeah, the complete 911 call was pretty bad. The operator really did a great job. When I heard the edited version my only thought was that I would've reassured the caller that help was on the way & talking to me wasn't slowing that down. Then in the complete tape you hear him say that which is good.

Has anyone else caught onto that bit at the end of one of the articles that stated 'homicide investigators are working with OSHA on the investigation'. I've worked in law enforcement. That's a big red flag. Why homicide? That's not very routine, to my knowledge. :shrug:

stratman50th

So sorry to hear that the CM died. My condolences go out to the family. You hate to hear about these things as there appears to be so much effort and time put in to keep the rides as safe as can be. (An outsiders view anyway).

Sorry to hear someone got hurt enough to have to be air lifted out. I thought this ride was closed because remember thinking I was going to be happy when I go in Mid May because I think i'm in the minority who actually likes this ride, lol.
No, you aren't alone. My daughter rides it 3 or 4 times in a row. She's 16 now and has been riding it like that since it opened. Good thing it's never really busy so she can get off then right back in line again.

stratman50th

Has anyone else caught onto that bit at the end of one of the articles that stated 'homicide investigators are working with OSHA on the investigation'. I've worked in law enforcement. That's a big red flag. Why homicide? That's not very routine, to my knowledge. :shrug:
I don't know about that. I was a police officer for 17 years and Homicide is often called during a death that doesn't have an obvious cause. I don't mean the actual physical injury, but what lead up to the injury or fatal event. They have the experience and equipment to do a complete job.
Many deaths will be ruled accidental or natural and not a homicide, however if you get the information ahead of time while at the scene you don't have to go back and try and collect evidence that may be gone after the fact.

I just finished listening to the unedited 911 call. I can only give great praise to both the call taker and the caller. The call taker did an awesome job of getting all the information, keeping the caller calm, and providing emergency first aid instructions to a seemingly untrained non medical person.
The caller, while obviously under a lot of stress and anxiety handled the call very well. He provided information to the call taker, continued to clear the track of ride cars to make it easy for medical responders, repeated the medical instructions to those actually performing first aid on the victim, and never lost control.
Great job to all involved. The victim died, but it wasn't from the lack of any care he failed to receive on the scene.

sweetpee_1993

I don't know about that. I was a police officer for 17 years and Homicide is often called during a death that doesn't have an obvious cause. I don't mean the actual physical injury, but what lead up to the injury or fatal event. They have the experience and equipment to do a complete job.
Many deaths will be ruled accidental or natural and not a homicide, however if you get the information ahead of time while at the scene you don't have to go back and try and collect evidence that may be gone after the fact.

I just finished listening to the unedited 911 call. I can only give great praise to both the call taker and the caller. The call taker did an awesome job of getting all the information, keeping the caller calm, and providing emergency first aid instructions to a seemingly untrained non medical person.
The caller, while obviously under a lot of stress and anxiety handled the call very well. He provided information to the call taker, continued to clear the track of ride cars to make it easy for medical responders, repeated the medical instructions to those actually performing first aid on the victim, and never lost control.
Great job to all involved. The victim died, but it wasn't from the lack of any care he failed to receive on the scene.

Thanks for the insight. I don't recall ever calling out homicide to an accident scene unless alcohol or drugs were suspected to be a factor which I don't think was the case with this accident at all. The lab, yes. I was just curious. I could see where it would be advantagous to bring out the 'big boys' just for sake of thorough-ness. (<-- is that a word?! LOL!)

Yeah. That call, unpretty as it is, would make a good training tape to demonstrate the right way to do the job.

stratman50th

Thanks for the insight. I don't recall ever calling out homicide to an accident scene unless alcohol or drugs were suspected to be a factor which I don't think was the case with this accident at all. The lab, yes. I was just curious. I could see where it would be advantagous to bring out the 'big boys' just for sake of thorough-ness. (<-- is that a word?! LOL!)

Yeah. That call, unpretty as it is, would make a good training tape to demonstrate the right way to do the job.
You also have to look at jurisdiction and what departmental or actually government policy is on the subject. It's not really what the police want to do, it's what the local State's Attorney (or whatever the governing body calls their top prosecuting court officer) says. Orange County may do it one way, the City of Las Vegas another, while Washington DC handles things completely differently.

allgar

Oh geez. Yeah, this is pretty graphic. I don't think he ever really had a chance.

Wow, that really is powerful hearing that call. *deep breath* I can't help but want to issue the same warning of two previous posts, this is a devastating injury being described and the shear magnitude of the situation is ever present in the voice of the caller. I wish I hadn't listened.

dave&di

Wow, that really is powerful hearing that call. *deep breath* I can't help but want to issue the same warning of two previous posts, this is a devastating injury being described and the shear magnitude of the situation is ever present in the voice of the caller. I wish I hadn't listened.

Same here, not pleasant, I didn't need to know the details. I felt slightly ashamed after. Hope his family never get to hear the call. I don't think 911 calls should be made public, what does it achieve. :(

sublimesting

Yeah, I just got PM'd about what occurred and I am alarmed and saddened enough without hearing the call. And like Dave&Di said, slightly ashamed. As a matter of fact I am removing the link I posted.

dave&di

Yeah, I just got PM'd about what occurred and I am alarmed and saddened enough without hearing the call. And like Dave&Di said, slightly ashamed. As a matter of fact I am removing the link I posted.

Thats a nice sentiment sublimesting. Its the right thing to do. :)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

Bravo. I, too, listened to the second tape up to a certain part and then I couldn't listen anymore.

Sometimes it is better to NOT know the gory details.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

Very commendable on your part. I couldn't bring myself to listen, but based on other's comments you've done the right thing.

And you shouldn't be ashamed, your intent was to provide information.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom