Cash-Strapped Disney

Lilofan

There's a lot of wiggle room to answering questions.
True and answers can have a spin to it too but it's amazing what words can move the stock market or the company stock price in general. Nervous investors and cast will want to know what's the plan moving ahead.

Kamikaze

It may not be on the quarterly earnings report but when Wall Street does the Q&A with Iger/Chapek in the end of the public earnings call, questions need to be answered. Fyi- they don't get the questions in advance.

They typically don't answer questions about the future in things other than vagaries.

Last edited:

Lilofan

They typically don't answer questions about the future in things other than vagaries.
They will need to. Wall Street analysts on the earnings call will make a call on the Disney stock after the Q&A with Iger - buy sell or neutral. Companies go out of their way to impress Wall Street with numbers or a plan to get back to profitability.

Kamikaze

They will need to. Wall Street analysts on the earnings call will make a call on the Disney stock after the Q&A with Iger - buy sell or neutral. Companies go out of their way to impress Wall Street with numbers or a plan to get back to profitability.

No, they won't. They'll say things like 'we expect' and 'we plan to' and 'according to our projections'. They will not disclose specifics.

Lilofan

No, they won't. They'll say things like 'we expect' and 'we plan to' and 'according to our projections'. They will not disclose specifics.
Coming from Iger and his compensation is heavily based on the stock price it's going to happen what type of plans he has for the company. CEO Chapek is on a slippery slope but if he doesn't last he won't leave emptyhanded.

Lilofan

Basically Wall Street is just treating the reports right now as a write off for the companies heavily effected. They know they are bad they're just looking for some sort of glimmer on the other side. Expect the big thing to come out of Disney's call to be the DLR plan.
DLR lives in the shadow of WDW. Let's be realistic. It will be briefly talked about. WDW, Covid, recovery plan with general specifics will probably be talked about by Iger. If not, it's going to come out during Q&A. I'm waiting for Wall Street during the earnings call to ask about the rapid cash burn Disney is going through. I may have to rebalance my portfolio if needed. If Disney execs start selling stock, that's a very bad sign.

Last edited:

Mike from Cincy

If ever you wonder what an abbreviation means @MisterPenguin maintains a list here
Thanks!!

SilentWindODoom

Interesting anecdote: do you know who came up with school house rock?

I... have this sneaking suspicion the answer is going to be someone terrible. 😅

Taking up the entire backlot to put in a bad concept “exclusive” hotel next to it that few will want...barring some miracle of reverse in course with Star Wars

The backlot needed to be Old Yellered hard. You mentioned the shortcomings of the park and the backlot was the centerpiece of an entire failed plan to produce things in Florida. Even if the new land is exactly what the worst detractors say it is, it's an improvement from what was there. One experience that barely anyone wanted to do versus a couple rides including an actual, factual large-scale E-ticket dark ride. Seeing the company invest in a ride like that is enough.

Also, I feel like a small green creature showed some miraculous powers despite fatalistic views on the franchise.

On the overall project, though, I'd sum it up this way: It's the New Yankee Stadium. In the 2000's, Yankee Stadium was the place to be socially and big financial players were showing up nightly because it was a status symbol. They build a new building twice the size to put in luxury options, modern suites, an art gallery, a steakhouse, and everything that would print money.

Then the year before it opened, the bottom fell out of the economy and people were clowning the over-the-top design and the empty seats, especially among the most expensive options. Galaxy's Edge and the hotel were going to rake in the cash. But now there is no cash. Disposable income is going to drop like a stone. But in the long run, things will recover and even out. People will want to go. When the money comes, so will the people. It may just be rough sledding until then.

I wonder if demand drops enough they will allow people to go through the lightsaber experience without paying for the saber. It would be a smart move. Fill what would be empty slots during the production and there's definitely going to be people who go in not planning to spend the money and changing their mind after holding what they've created.

I want it to remain the way it is, the recent update is very good. I only mentioned it because it was listed by someone as an attraction that was potentially going to be updated.

Okay. That's cool. It really felt like you were just being the one who objects to every proposed solution without actually helping in giving one that works.

We just had a brutal example...why didn’t they ramp up the construction already in progress? You know how much more work gets done with no customers during the days?

Didn't that get chalked up to saving remaining CM's, or have new findings countered that?

Nobody’s gonna do that

Hehehehe. We really do travel in different fan circles. By the way, sorry for life getting in the way of discussing the franchise in PM's. But my family and friends have been inhaling all the books, which shouldn't be surprising for a fandom that lived for almost two decades solely on books.

I actually hate Forbidden Journey and think Hogsmeade is a bit of a disappointment (and it's really a tremendous waste to use the most iconic setting in the series as a facade and queue for a ride and nothing else), but Diagon Alley is a masterpiece.

That's the problem with basing your land around a sleepy town. Is there really much in the book's Hogsmeade besides the tavern and joke shop? I'm only familiar with the films.

Although, if you poke around a bit on the interwebs, you'll find reports that some things are way down, but some things are way up. Disney is a diverse company - I for one, have faith they will weather the storm.

I mentioned this the last time someone suggested things were perfectly fine. They're in an unenviable situation where every single aspect of their company is affected by this. They're diverse, but across cruises, theme parks, hotels, retail, sports, television, and streaming. Now ESPN's numbers are going to face an uptick in the coming months if the virus doesn't shut down the reopening leagues, but diversity doesn't mean jack when all your assets are compromised.

But here’s the thing. You just watched a Let’s Play making fun of it for hours on end. That’s exactly what I’m talking about. You didn’t play the game with no preconception of the game. You just watched the preconception and made your judgement call on it.

Also, if it's the one I'm thinking of, Arin is famous for having fandoms of games scream at him because they don't think he's being fair due to his missing things as he tries to talk and play. 🤣

Just know I'm not saying that because I view people as being more or less respectable based on their income. I also have wanted Disney to find better ways to give families in lower socioeconomic status an opportunity to enjoy the parks. But if you lower costs too much right now, you run the risk of bringing in people who view the chance of being removed for poor behavior as not such a big deal.

Had season tickets in the 12-dollar bleacher seats at Yankee Stadium. Can confirm, both with locals and visiting fans picking up the cheapest seat. Never got through a Boston game and half the Tampa games without seeing someone thrown out.

Seriously? They were taking more heat about their decision to reopen in July than they were about Splash Mountain.

But isn't that the same tactic the company has been employing on the Song of the South front for the last thirty years? Don't even let it become an issue. They could easily release it with context or a warning, and people have suggested doing it and offered to give the context. But then the news outlets would mention that Disney's racist film is back and they don't want that press. So they nipped this one in the bud the *SECOND* it looked like they could become the next Dan Snyder.

Tesla's Tomorrowland

Tesla would be a great fit for the Speedway, but from the response I got for insiders it was pursued but no agreement could be reached.

Tough question. Looks like we are about at the heartbeat of the trend-line in a upward channel on the daily. So my prediction is a solid 50/50.

Especially since Tokyo isn't changing either (which supports that it's not racist - since someone objective doesn't think so)

Tell that to Jynx. People don't always take Japanese company's word for what's racist and what isn't.

But they were also desperate to get back into the Parks for content. You have to remember, that’s how they make their money.

My favorite's got a 7-month old at home, has taken every precaution to avoid leaving home when possible, skipped Legoland because they aren't requiring masks, and it swearing off Sea World and Busch Gardens because they've been too lax and people have been getting away with murder. And I'm hearing the same good things about Disney's approach (save for concern at the 2-hour cleaning cycle for Buzz). Of course, he comes in at noon to avoid the rope drop crush and isn't eating inside or riding indoor rides.

Remember that everyone has a price.

$1000 to drive the monorail.

Don't tell me you wouldn't think about paying for that...

Never. Never in a million years.

WDW_monorail.jpg

Brer Oswald

I... have this sneaking suspicion the answer is going to be someone terrible. 😅

The backlot needed to be Old Yellered hard. You mentioned the shortcomings of the park and the backlot was the centerpiece of an entire failed plan to produce things in Florida. Even if the new land is exactly what the worst detractors say it is, it's an improvement from what was there. One experience that barely anyone wanted to do versus a couple rides including an actual, factual large-scale E-ticket dark ride. Seeing the company invest in a ride like that is enough.

Also, I feel like a small green creature showed some miraculous powers despite fatalistic views on the franchise.

On the overall project, though, I'd sum it up this way: It's the New Yankee Stadium. In the 2000's, Yankee Stadium was the place to be socially and big financial players were showing up nightly because it was a status symbol. They build a new building twice the size to put in luxury options, modern suites, an art gallery, a steakhouse, and everything that would print money.

Then the year before it opened, the bottom fell out of the economy and people were clowning the over-the-top design and the empty seats, especially among the most expensive options. Galaxy's Edge and the hotel were going to rake in the cash. But now there is no cash. Disposable income is going to drop like a stone. But in the long run, things will recover and even out. People will want to go. When the money comes, so will the people. It may just be rough sledding until then.

I wonder if demand drops enough they will allow people to go through the lightsaber experience without paying for the saber. It would be a smart move. Fill what would be empty slots during the production and there's definitely going to be people who go in not planning to spend the money and changing their mind after holding what they've created.

Okay. That's cool. It really felt like you were just being the one who objects to every proposed solution without actually helping in giving one that works.

Didn't that get chalked up to saving remaining CM's, or have new findings countered that?

Hehehehe. We really do travel in different fan circles. By the way, sorry for life getting in the way of discussing the franchise in PM's. But my family and friends have been inhaling all the books, which shouldn't be surprising for a fandom that lived for almost two decades solely on books.

That's the problem with basing your land around a sleepy town. Is there really much in the book's Hogsmeade besides the tavern and joke shop? I'm only familiar with the films.

I mentioned this the last time someone suggested things were perfectly fine. They're in an unenviable situation where every single aspect of their company is affected by this. They're diverse, but across cruises, theme parks, hotels, retail, sports, television, and streaming. Now ESPN's numbers are going to face an uptick in the coming months if the virus doesn't shut down the reopening leagues, but diversity doesn't mean jack when all your assets are compromised.

Also, if it's the one I'm thinking of, Arin is famous for having fandoms of games scream at him because they don't think he's being fair due to his missing things as he tries to talk and play. 🤣

Had season tickets in the 12-dollar bleacher seats at Yankee Stadium. Can confirm, both with locals and visiting fans picking up the cheapest seat. Never got through a Boston game and half the Tampa games without seeing someone thrown out.

But isn't that the same tactic the company has been employing on the Song of the South front for the last thirty years? Don't even let it become an issue. They could easily release it with context or a warning, and people have suggested doing it and offered to give the context. But then the news outlets would mention that Disney's racist film is back and they don't want that press. So they nipped this one in the bud the *SECOND* it looked like they could become the next Dan Snyder.

Tesla would be a great fit for the Speedway, but from the response I got for insiders it was pursued but no agreement could be reached.

Tell that to Jynx. People don't always take Japanese company's word for what's racist and what isn't.

My favorite's got a 7-month old at home, has taken every precaution to avoid leaving home when possible, skipped Legoland because they aren't requiring masks, and it swearing off Sea World and Busch Gardens because they've been too lax and people have been getting away with murder. And I'm hearing the same good things about Disney's approach (save for concern at the 2-hour cleaning cycle for Buzz). Of course, he comes in at noon to avoid the rope drop crush and isn't eating inside or riding indoor rides.

Never. Never in a million years.

WDW_monorail.jpg

Many things to unpack. The thing about Arin was a complaint by Sonic fans ironically enough about 06.
And who’s your favourite with a 7 month old?

SilentWindODoom

Many things to unpack. The thing about Arin was a complaint by Sonic fans ironically enough about 06.
And who’s your favourite with a 7 month old?

Heh. Yeah. Missing out on a thread for 13 pages leads to a lot to parse through. I also got sniped on the Sextuple Dash joke.

Personally had a fan rant to me about the latest Sonic playthrough. I know how it gets.

TheTimTracker. Pretty genuine people with a nice, goofy sense of humor. I like them.

Thelazer

I can only speak to the departments closest and directly affected, but Uni did let go of salaried members who ‘had performance issues’ or had a history

Without saying more. I suspect that wasn't the only reason. I know some who were on a upward path, well liked and respected.. and still got the shocking meeting request.

HauntedMansionFLA

DLR lives in the shadow of WDW. Let's be realistic. It will be briefly talked about. WDW, Covid, recovery plan with general specifics will probably be talked about by Iger. If not, it's going to come out during Q&A. I'm waiting for Wall Street during the earnings call to ask about the rapid cash burn Disney is going through. I may have to rebalance my portfolio if needed. If Disney execs start selling stock, that's a very bad sign.
Let’s see if the Disney Executives get their bonuses this year. It’s been reported several companies giving their top executives big bonuses before filing for bankruptcy. I know Disney won’t file but it file her interesting to see especially if there are layoffs.

tirian

Let’s see if the Disney Executives get their bonuses this year. It’s been reported several companies giving their top executives big bonuses before filing for bankruptcy. I know Disney won’t file but it file her interesting to see especially if there are layoffs.
I’m curious about that too. In the past, Disney has protected its execs and given golden parachutes to people who were encouraged to leave and spend more time with their families (ahem).

On a tangent, as more news about the company’s financial situation leaks out, Abigail Disney is speaking up again about executive compensation and her need to pay more taxes; but I don’t see her name listed anywhere as a great philanthropist, so...

John park hopper

I’m curious about that too. In the past, Disney has protected its execs and given golden parachutes to people who were encouraged to leave and spend more time with their families (ahem).

On a tangent, as more news about the company’s financial situation leaks out, Abigail Disney is speaking up again about executive compensation and her need to pay more taxes; but I don’t see her name listed anywhere as a great philanthropist, so...
"her need to pay more taxes": Anyone who feels they are not paying enough in taxes can simply write a check to the IRS they will gladly accept it. What a hypocrite

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom