Cash-Strapped Disney

Kamikaze

The problem with Florida is it exists on the dollars of those “pesky” people from the Atlantic seaboard, Europe, Canada and the rust belt in extremely high numbers.

I think cruise ships could provide a more attract option that parks...and they aren’t included to lift a finger at all. Riding out the storm.

Travel is a “deal” between two parties...it has to work for both. Not a gas station or a McDonald’s point of sale.

If I open a store...and nobody walks through the door...I close again whether I want to or not.

I’m just point out the dynamics...sorry if it’s “preachy”

The problem with cruise ships is that they're breeding grounds for viral transmission in normal circumstances. And I haven't heard word 1 about any of them opening any time soon.

You're right about the money coming from places other than FL, and the vindictiveness of DeSantis not allowing the Northeast to visit still despite having the lowest number of cases basically anywhere is based on outright spite. Probably where a lot of the crowd would be coming from if it was an option.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The problem with cruise ships is that they're breeding grounds for viral transmission in normal circumstances. And I haven't heard word 1 about any of them opening any time soon.

You're right about the money coming from places other than FL, and the vindictiveness of DeSantis not allowing the Northeast to visit still despite having the lowest number of cases basically anywhere is based on outright spite. Probably where a lot of the crowd would be coming from if it was an option.
Because of cruiselines struggles with norovirus, they are actually better at sanitation than Disney.

I can’t parse that. Disney isn’t “ultra clean”. Hate to break that news.

But it’s tough for either. Cruises could have people taken directly from the airport, screened, and not contacting anyone out side that bubble. Not perfect...but not horrible. Not the case at wdw.

But your point about the Petri dishes at sea is of course the headwinds.

And they have no staff...but of a problem.

Last edited:

Kamikaze

Because of cruiselines struggles when norovirus, they are actually better at sanitation than Disney.

I can’t parse that. Disney isn’t “ultra clean”. Hate to break that news.

But it’s tough for either. Cruises could have people taken directly from the airport, screened, and not contacting anyone out side that bubble. Not perfect...but not horrible. Not the case at wdw.

But your point about the Petri dishes at sea is of course the headwinds.

And they have no staff...but of a problem.

Right, the fix for everything is actually pretty simple. A fast, accurate test that can be administered on the spot. You show up, get tested, and you only can enter if you're negative. But when you're talking these numbers of people it needs to be a swab or spit test and not blood. Blood one already exists with a 15 minute turnaround, but you're not going to take blood from 50,000 people a day at MK.

Edit: I would also say that the Disney cleaning standards are certainly higher now than they were before. Especially considering the evidence that COVID is extremely hard to transmit off of a surface and they're still cleaning everything constantly.

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

Walt also valued 'Show' above pretty much everything else. And this is, without a doubt, terrible show. His park was supposed to be a place to leave the cares of the outside world behind, and you can't do that when you're wearing a mask and social distancing.

He wasn't much of a saver, but he also really only cared about money to fund his other projects. He didn't want to keep it or worry about raising stock prices. He could be ruthless and a businessman at times as well. But he wasn't motivated by money. He just knew it was something he needed to do what he wanted.

And without a doubt he was right wing. But is this Walt Disney's America? (Not referring to the theme park) Or any cheap facsimile thereof? Walt loved the American ideal. And we aren't there right now for a lot of reasons.

But thats a different topic altogether. I'd have tons more to say but not a lot of it fits here.
Yeah. He also didn’t really care about politics much beyond what it did to benefit his projects. He supported both parties when they benefited him. He went hard right in the 40s when he thought the Communist unions were causing the major divide in his studio.

Brer Oswald

That’s funny...the podcasters/vloggers have “gotten the message” and said it’s the “safest, most comforting environment ever”

Even the “disgruntled” one who is featured on another rival site. They played clips of the podcaster on the news these past few days.
But they were also desperate to get back into the Parks for content. You have to remember, that’s how they make their money.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Even if that ban was lifted, the NE ain't going to FL

1. it's the new hotspot

2. they'd endure a quarantine returning from FL

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
They’ve made billions year after year for the last 20 years. Its hard to feel bad for them. Maybe should have socked some away for a rainy day. Like I did with my small business. But I’m not a genius CEO making 30 million a year.

Funny, I thought most people on these boards were fully on the side of Disney spending as much money as they can on upgrades to the parks. Spend, Disney! Spend on the parks!!

Kamikaze

Even if that ban was lifted, the NE ain't going to FL

1. it's the new hotspot

2. they'd endure a quarantine returning from FL

The quarantine up here is actually written that it doesn't apply to NY/NJ/CT residents returning. It only applies to 'visitors' from out of state.

I'm not saying that someone that travels OOS shouldn't quarantine when they return, they definitely should, but it is not a requirement.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The quarantine up here is actually written that it doesn't apply to NY/NJ/CT residents returning. It only applies to 'visitors' from out of state.

Hmmm... I'm sure you're right, but I'll have to check that again to see how I missed that.

But then... that doesn't make sense. It was people in the tristate area who visited world wide hotspots and brought the virus back that were the problem. So, not quarantining people who visited hotspots isn't good policy.

Kamikaze

Hmmm... I'm sure you're right, but I'll have to check that again to see how I missed that.

But then... that doesn't make sense. It was people in the tristate area who visited world wide hotspots and brought the virus back that were the problem. So, not quarantining people who visited hotspots isn't good policy.

Right - its written incorrectly. It is supposed to apply to everyone but it only specifies that visitors must quarantine. Sorry if I was confusing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah. He also didn’t really care about politics much beyond what it did to benefit his projects. He supported both parties when they benefited him. He went hard right in the 40s when he thought the Communist unions were causing the major divide in his studio.
Well...not “politics” in the modern sense - perhaps...

But there’s a history of Disney’s business and political choices that would not look good to many if not most Disney fans now.

But that’s for the lens of history and for another thread 😉

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom