Cash-Strapped Disney

erstwo

The Disney company is currently hurting for cash, and not by a little.

This may have already been pointed out in the last 28 pages of comments but (to quote a favorite movie) "I do not think that means what you think it means" and the economics geek in me can't let it go.

Disney had, at the end of March 2020, more cash on hand than in the previous two years combined. After letting their cash on hand hover at around $4 billion for the last 4 or 5 years, at then end of March 2020 they had $14 billion in cash. Nearly triple the cash.

By the rest of your post, I think what you mean to convey is Disney is facing the prospect of falling revenue. Possibly?

Although, if you poke around a bit on the interwebs, you'll find reports that some things are way down, but some things are way up. Disney is a diverse company - I for one, have faith they will weather the storm.

Kamikaze

I mean, yes... but they need money right now. They need cash flowing at WDW and they need to prove to their stockholders that they can keep it open.

Yes, they need revenue, but getting $100 (or whatever the lowest one day possible currently is) for a ticket in mid December instead of $140 is clearly better than getting $0. They make money on the $100, so its not like they'd be operating at a loss by letting people in at that price.

They need cash, but they aren't insolvent.

choco choco

I think you're completely backwards on Mario Kart as the centerpiece attraction. Mario Kart the game is 1 vs 7 where you get to control and drive your vehicle on your own. In the ride you're going to have up to 6 people in the vehicle and what are they all going to do? Obviously you don't get to control the car, so how many of the 6 are going to get to control powerups (which I presume will do something to the other vehicle you're 'racing')? I just don't think it works because its not anything like the games are presented. They would have been better off doing a VR style ride where there aren't actual tracks but you get inside some personal (or 2 seater for kids + parents) immersive motion sims and go 1 v 7 that way.

And you won't be able to hit 'Dad' with a shell, you'll be shooting at some random other group of people in another car.

What you've described is....a video game.

Brer Oswald

I haven't played the game myself, but I watched a Let's Play. Well, let's be honest here: I watched that Let's Play four times. And I can honestly say that never once did I ever think the game came close to good.

If you liked it, that's all well and good. We all have different opinions, and I'm honestly happy you were able to get enjoyment out of it. But the game was riddled with bugs, had a bad plot (in my opinion), and a weird relationship between a hedgehog and a human princess (also my opinion). I don't think the game got the reputation it has just because of hype.

Now The Last of Us part 2 on the other hand
But here’s the thing. You just watched a Let’s Play making fun of it for hours on end. That’s exactly what I’m talking about. You didn’t play the game with no preconception of the game. You just watched the preconception and made your judgement call on it.

But that’s the thing, I did the same thing as you. It’s only human nature to do that because as humans, we’re lazy. If someone tells you something is bad and maybe gives you one or two reasons it is without going over the good parts, you’re only going to see the bad parts.

I still think the story is bad and the bugs are bad, but the level design is fun, the music is great, and I feel awesome playing as Sonic. Now, the Last of Us 2, I heard bad things about that game. People have called it a long cutscene, so my preconceived notion is that it’s a bad game. Could it be good? Absolutely. Should I play it with an open mind before making a judgement call on it? You bet. Should we do that before making a call on films, music or even real people? Yes we should.

Brer Oswald

I think you're completely backwards on Mario Kart as the centerpiece attraction. Mario Kart the game is 1 vs 7 where you get to control and drive your vehicle on your own. In the ride you're going to have up to 6 people in the vehicle and what are they all going to do? Obviously you don't get to control the car, so how many of the 6 are going to get to control powerups (which I presume will do something to the other vehicle you're 'racing')? I just don't think it works because its not anything like the games are presented. They would have been better off doing a VR style ride where there aren't actual tracks but you get inside some personal (or 2 seater for kids + parents) immersive motion sims and go 1 v 7 that way.

And you won't be able to hit 'Dad' with a shell, you'll be shooting at some random other group of people in another car.
If I wanted something that was exactly like the games, I’d just play the games.

Besides, six people in a car? That’s just Mario Kart: Sextuple Dash

WDW Pro

Original Poster
Yes, they need revenue, but getting $100 (or whatever the lowest one day possible currently is) for a ticket in mid December instead of $140 is clearly better than getting $0. They make money on the $100, so its not like they'd be operating at a loss by letting people in at that price.

They need cash, but they aren't insolvent.

Well, the issue is that they're in an environment where money isn't the primary source for lower demand. Furthermore - and this one is a bit harsh - if you lower ticket prices too far, you risk bringing in individuals of lower socioeconomic status in larger numbers, which could simultaneously make compliance with pandemic restrictions and guidelines be more problematic.

Kamikaze

If I wanted something that was exactly like the games, I’d just play the games.

Besides, six people in a car? That’s just Mario Kart: Sextuple Dash

What you've described is....a video game.

Correct, which is what people are going to expect from a Mario Kart attraction. Just like @Touchdown said he wants to shoot a shell at dad. He's not going to be able to do that. They're going to get RSR with drifting.

Not to mention, Mariokart has been 1 vs 11 since the Wii....

Whatever. Point still stands.

Brer Oswald

Correct, which is what people are going to expect from a Mario Kart attraction. They're going to get RSR with drifting.

Whatever. Point still stands.
The fun part of Mario Kart is the drifting and throwing items around. If people are surrounded by real life Mario Kart tracks and real Mario characters, are they really going to care what place they come in?

Brer Oswald

Speak english! 😄
In Mario Kart Wii, they were able to put 12 players on a race track because the Wii was more powerful than the N64.

For Mario Kart 7, they had to go back to 8 players because the 3DS is Weaker.

Mario Kart 8 went back to 12 because the Wii U and the Switch are obviously more powerful than the Wii.

_caleb

Well, the issue is that they're in an environment where money isn't the primary source for lower demand. Furthermore - and this one is a bit harsh - if you lower ticket prices too far, you risk bringing in individuals of lower socioeconomic status in larger numbers, which could simultaneously make compliance with pandemic restrictions and guidelines be more problematic.
Ugh

Shouldigo12

But here’s the thing. You just watched a Let’s Play making fun of it for hours on end. That’s exactly what I’m talking about. You didn’t play the game with no preconception of the game. You just watched the preconception and made your judgement call on it.

But that’s the thing, I did the same thing as you. It’s only human nature to do that because as humans, we’re lazy. If someone tells you something is bad and maybe gives you one or two reasons it is without going over the good parts, you’re only going to see the bad parts.

I still think the story is bad and the bugs are bad, but the level design is fun, the music is great, and I feel awesome playing as Sonic. Now, the Last of Us 2, I heard bad things about that game. People have called it a long cutscene, so my preconceived notion is that it’s a bad game. Could it be good? Absolutely. Should I play it with an open mind before making a judgement call on it? You bet. Should we do that before making a call on films, music or even real people? Yes we should.
Maybe you're right, maybe I would have a different opinion on it. I can say I had never heard of the game before watching the Let's Play, but maybe the actual playing part is more fun. I'll concede the Let's Players I watched were pretty merciless in their critiques of the game haha. Maybe that's what I liked TLOU2. Unlike most players, I completely stayed awhile from spoilers and didn't start the game with any opinions about the plot twists.

Anyway, opinions on (in)famous video games aside, I get what you're saying and I agree. We need to see something and really judge it for ourselves, not just parrot the popular opinions.

tirian

Well some of us Disney fans are parks fans. I’m a parks fan more than a Disney movie fan. For example, I was named after Prince Eric from TLM but I never saw TLM until a year AFTER the NFL expansion at MK! I’ve never seen PatF, Brave, etc. For me, Disney is the parks first, movies after.
TLM aside, that’s also the benefit of original IP attractions such as POTC and HM.

Brer Oswald

Maybe you're right, maybe I would have a different opinion on it. I can say I had never heard of the game before watching the Let's Play, but maybe the actual playing part is more fun. I'll concede the Let's Players I watched were pretty merciless in their critiques of the game haha. Maybe that's what I liked TLOU2. Unlike most players, I completely stayed awhile from spoilers and didn't start the game with any opinions about the plot twists.

Anyway, opinions on (in)famous video games aside, I get what you're saying and I agree. We need to see something and really judge it for ourselves, not just parrot the popular opinions.
And hey, maybe you’d try it with an open mind and hate it. Maybe it just not your type of game. You never know till you give things a go.

tirian

That’s where the genius lies in picking Mariokart as the main ride, it’s a competitive racing ride, you’ll get all the thrill seekers happy, and being able to hit dad with a red shell and improve your time is just going to draw people back to that ride. As long as that ride delivers on its promise there is no way it won’t be a home run for Nintendo and Universal.

And don’t forget, as of last sales report Mariokart 8 deluxe has sold 24.77 million copies. 3 people in 1000 own that game planet wide, obviously it’s even higher then that in North America. (I can’t find US sales numbers.)
They are really risking "over-promise, under-deliver" on this one, aren't they?

That’s probably why Uni hasn’t officially promised much of anything.

rle4lunch

Read: SeaWorld clientele

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom