Cash-Strapped Disney

Brer Oswald

If you read the novel about Black Spire the land feels a lot more real and everything is recognizable...including the walk-around character Vi Moradi.

I have never read or seen anything related to Harry Potter so that entire part of Universal has no appeal to me.
I shouldn’t be required to read a novel I’ve never even heard of to experience and properly enjoy a land in a theme park that I’m paying a lot to get into.

tirian

That’s the cut I used to watch. My favourite parts were the Edgar Burgan intermissions and the behind the scenes documentary.

As for Song of the South, it has its “racist” reputation simply because it’s old and expendable. They had a reason to hold onto it a bit for Zipadeedoodah, but now they have so many signature songs in their catalogue that they don’t care. I’d get into it more, but this isn’t the place to do so, and as I always say, “you can’t have an intellectual conversation about Song of the South”. I’ve been on the ride, I’ve listened to the songs, and I’ve seen the movie (with the preconceived notion that it was racist). After all that, I can safely say that I wish things went differently in regards to it’s reputation. But there’s nothing that can be done about it now.

The first time I saw SOTS, I also had pre-conceived notions of how racist it would be. I expected to be offended. Then I thought, “Wait, really? That’s it?” My position is that if Eisner had licensed it to Criterion or dropped it into the Treasures Collection* to put it in a proper historical context, nobody would be talking about it anymore. Awkward, yes. Racist? No. That’s Internet echo-chamber rhetoric from people who’ve never seen it. It’s the adult equivalent of playground kids telling each other to repeat “Bloody Mary” seven times in a mirror.

*The live-action portions are so dull, I don’t know if we could honestly classify it as a “Treasure” except for the excellent animated sequences.

So back to Cash-Strapped Disney... ;)

@WDW Pro have you heard whether Disney is planning any discounts for 2021? I’ve heard “not likely,” but I can’t wrap my mind around that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If you read the novel about Black Spire the land feels a lot more real and everything is recognizable...including the walk-around character Vi Moradi.

I have never read or seen anything related to Harry Potter so that entire part of Universal has no appeal to me.
Nobody’s gonna do that

I hadn’t really either prior to going...and they still knocked it out of the park

That’s the dufference

Disney gets beat sometimes...Mostly by their own hubris

WDW Pro

Original Poster
The first time I saw SOTS, I also had pre-conceived notions of how racist it would be. I expected to be offended. Then I thought, “Wait, really? That’s it?” My position is that if Eisner had licensed it to Criterion or dropped it into the Treasures Collection* to put it in a proper historical context, nobody would be talking about it anymore. Awkward, yes. Racist? No. That’s Internet echo-chamber rhetoric from people who’ve never seen it. It’s the adult equivalent of playground kids telling each other to repeat “Bloody Mary” seven times in a mirror.

*The live-action portions are so dull, I don’t know if we could honestly classify it as a “Treasure” except for the excellent animated sequences.

@WDW Pro have you heard whether Disney is planning any discounts for 2021? I’ve heard “not likely,” but I can’t wrap my mind around that.

I have heard of zero discount options on the table.

tirian

Can’t we care about all aspects of the company equally? I’m a millennial (barely I’m on the older end) but the Disney renaissance was my childhood (I remember seeing TLM, BatB, Aladdin and Lion King in theatres) so of course I have a love for that era, but I love and watch all eras, other then the “dark” and “lost” eras I will not argue with anyone over which era was “best.”

That said, older fans need to realize that there are now as many good films the company has released without Walt as those with him.

Growing up, other then an odd show/parade there was never attractions on the movies of my childhood; I think that’s why I love Philharmagic so much, it was the first piece of “permanent” additions to the park that acknowledged the films of my childhood (I’m not counting Magic Carpets.)

It’s not that we don’t like the old films, it’s that it would be nice to see more representation in the US parks for some of the newer stuff. The golden/silver age is still over represented compared to renaissance/revival eras, although the company has done better and I wish they would do this with additions rather then replacements.
I agree; I’m talking about self-proclaimed Superfans who think glittery cupcakes and DVC resorts are Walt’s legacy.

Ravenclaw78

You mis-understood Touring Plans text
"Check out the self-sweeping broom (shades of Fantasia?) while waiting for the show. To increase your odds of being picked, be a cute kid, stand up front, and make eye contact. If your young ’un is selected to test-drive a wand, be forewarned that you’ll have to buy it if you want to take it home."
If you don't want to take a wand home, then you can just say no after the show, but of course you risk having an upset child. The child can participate and then hand back the wand, but many children won't understand and you will end up having to pay to avoid having a crying kid.
I stand corrected!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I have heard of zero discount options on the table.
All right. Wow. Pure hubris.
My few...last...contacts and friends in travel corroborate that story...

It was decreed years ago. Iger.

WDF

Not good enough

I enjoy your contributions to this very good conversation

Don’t spoil it with a cop out

There's nothing else to say. I don't know about or care about Harry Potter, so looking at some London facade means nothing to me. I'm sure it's lovely. It's also based on a movie set that was already created.

Meh.

I do agree that any budget cutting that was done to Galaxy's Edge re: dining or entertainment was short-sighted, and maybe will one day be corrected. Creating a part of the galaxy far far away that hadn't been seen makes ME feel like I am in that galaxy instead of on a movie set. You get the "familiar" space feel in spades on both attractions in the land. That works for ME.

Brer Oswald

I was thinking of an example in the video game industry that will probably be lost on most people here.

Some of you may have heard of the game Sonic 06. Some maybe not. It’s a game in the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise that has the reputation for being one of the worst games ever, due to reviews calling the game out for its technical bugs and story issues. The first time I played the game, I agreed “yeah it’s really bad”. The second time I played it, I gave it more time and went: “Wait, this is actually pretty good. There’s a lot of awesome things about this game”. It just goes to show how much a few reviews can completely dictate the reputation of a piece of media.

But then I began to think a bit more. Do companies benefit by having one controversial product that they try to trash and bury? Whenever Sega makes a bad new Sonic game, they always elude to Sonic 06, basically saying “yeah the new game is bad, but AT LEAST it’s not as bad as Sonic 06” (which is rarely true).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There's nothing else to say. I don't know about or care about Harry Potter, so looking at some London facade means nothing to me. I'm sure it's lovely. It's also based on a movie set that was already created.

Meh.

I do agree that any budget cutting that was done to Galaxy's Edge re: dining or entertainment was short-sighted, and maybe will one day be corrected. Creating a part of the galaxy far far away that hadn't been seen makes ME feel like I am in that galaxy instead of on a movie set. You get the "familiar" space feel in spades on both attractions in the land. That works for ME.
I think you need to go to both...it’s getting lost in translation

UNCgolf

To be fair, I’m not a huge fan of the Potter lands either. BUT, they are still well done, and I think Forbidden Journey is a great ride.

I actually hate Forbidden Journey and think Hogsmeade is a bit of a disappointment (and it's really a tremendous waste to use the most iconic setting in the series as a facade and queue for a ride and nothing else), but Diagon Alley is a masterpiece.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom