Cash-Strapped Disney

PirateFrank

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention:

This whole Splash Mountain thing was torpedoed by Tokyo. Disney wanted to get completely away from Song of the South, but OLC essentially told them to pound sand. That meant they're stuck spending enormous money just to match the current quality, and simultaneously NOT getting away from Song of the South. So the only gain they get is Tiana might sell better in the souvenir shop.

Forgive me for asking this question - as I don't think I fully understand the requirements of the licensing agreement between OLC and TWDC - but how does WDW and DLR announcing a retheming of Splash impact the splash at TDL? Is the OLC required to retheme as well, under the agreement?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Forgive me for asking this question - as I don't think I fully understand the requirements of the licensing agreement between OLC and TWDC - but how does WDW and DLR announcing a retheming of Splash impact the splash at TDL? Is the OLC required to retheme as well, under the agreement?

No. OLC is in control and licensing the Disney properties. Once they have a contract for a property, TWDC can't make them change it... unless it was in the contract that they could and it's doubtful OLC would agree to TWDC pulling the rug out from under them in that regard.

If it was really important to Disney's brand that TDL's SM be suppressed, they'd have to convince OLC to do so with carrots, not sticks.

Or, Japan/OLC could find itself at the end of a boycott over such things and decide it's time to change with the times.

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

No. OLC is in control and licensing the Disney properties. Once they have a contract for a property, TWDC can't make they change it... unless it was in the contract that they could and it's doubtful OLC would agree to TWDC pulling the rug out from under them in that regard.

If it was really important to Disney's brand that TDL's SM be suppressed, they'd have to convince OLC to do so with carrots, not sticks.

Or, Japan/OLC could find itself at the end of a boycott over such things and decide it's time to change with the times.
As I understand it, Disney can pitch OLC and they can either accept or refuse what Disney pitches them. However, OLC can not directly pitch Disney what they want, only make suggestions like they need more capacity or to replace/overlay an existing attraction.

Robbiem

Does anyone know what rights Disney have on the other side? I get that they can’t force OLC to change things once they’ve been built but do they have the right to impose a change if Disney pays itself?

Could apply to more than just splash mountain. Say Disney decides Johnny Depp for example doesn’t fit their image anymore can they make OLC remove him from Pirates if they pay Or can OLC flat out refuse and keep it they way they want it?

NoBreyner60

Does anyone know what rights Disney have on the other side? I get that they can’t force OLC to change things once they’ve been built but do they have the right to impose a change if Disney pays itself?

Could apply to more than just splash mountain. Say Disney decides Johnny Depp for example doesn’t fit their image anymore can they make OLC remove him from Pirates if they pay Or can OLC flat out refuse and keep it they way they want it?
I've heard on YouTube that the OLC is refusing to make changes to Splash Mountain because they're just adorable animals. I've heard vloggers say that face characters are not as popular as the animal characters.

Tom P.

I've heard on YouTube that the OLC is refusing to make changes to Splash Mountain because they're just adorable animals. I've heard vloggers say that face characters are not as popular as the animal characters.
I don't want this to turn into another Splash Mountain debate, but just an observation... I'd suspect that 95% of people who see those characters think just that... that they are cute Disney animal characters. I'd imagine the vast, vast majority of people know nothing about Song of the South or the origin of its characters. Or Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah for that matter.

doctornick

I doubt Disney could force anything on OLC but I’m sure they could strongly encourage changes by making them a sweet enough offer. If Disney was really determine to rid the parks of any SotS themed stuff they could offer to pay for the retheme in Tokyo and make the replacement of high enough quality to meet the approval of OLC.

As is I actually don’t think Disney cares much at all about what happens in Tokyo. I’m skeptical that the company truly views Splash in Japan as anyway problematic. If anything, any concern about Japan not changing would almost certainly be centered on not being able to pawn some of the replacement development cost for PATF on OLC

TrainsOfDisney

If anything, any concern about Japan not changing would almost certainly be centered on not being able to pawn some of the replacement development cost for PATF on OLC

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!!!!

Of course the exact opposite is usually true. Tokyo took one look at the “forced perspective” Beast castle and said “umm no that’s not going to work.”

SilentWindODoom

No. OLC is in control and licensing the Disney properties. Once they have a contract for a property, TWDC can't make them change it... unless it was in the contract that they could and it's doubtful OLC would agree to TWDC pulling the rug out from under them in that regard.

In fact, given what happened to Nara Dreamland, they probably ensured they had language in the contracts specifically locking the Disney property rights.

rowrbazzle

As is I actually don’t think Disney cares much at all about what happens in Tokyo. I’m skeptical that the company truly views Splash in Japan as anyway problematic. If anything, any concern about Japan not changing would almost certainly be centered on not being able to pawn some of the replacement development cost for PATF on OLC

I imagine most Americans don't even know there's a Disney park in Japan anyway, to say nothing of what rides they have there.

DVCakaCarlF

I don’t have the current books in front of me, by any means, but I can’t see a company, like TWDC, “burning” through its cash to the point of becoming a “going concern.”

Especially, when it continues to fund construction costs on several projects.

I have to imagine little Bob has worked some “financial instruments” (bank loans, bond offerings, etc) to fund these projects without depleting their on hand cash.

I knew a company that borrowed a million dollars a month just for payroll. They essentially used the banks money to cover their labor costs, while they were waiting for their clients to pay their invoices.

As such, I imagine TWDC is utilizing the same method on operations, construction, etc...especially with interest rates being so low, right now.

doctornick

I imagine most Americans don't even know there's a Disney park in Japan anyway, to say nothing of what rides they have there.

Exactly. And to whatever extent "people" might complain about a version of Splash Mtn existing in the world, Disney can simply respond that they don't own/control TDL and the complainers can take it up with OLC.

And the reality is that virtually no one would care about the existing of Splash in Japan just like Disney hasn't had a problem selling copies of SotS in other countries. The problems with SotS seem to be considered a USA specific issue in terms of how Disney has addressed it.

Rich Brownn

I doubt Disney could force anything on OLC but I’m sure they could strongly encourage changes by making them a sweet enough offer. If Disney was really determine to rid the parks of any SotS themed stuff they could offer to pay for the retheme in Tokyo and make the replacement of high enough quality to meet the approval of OLC.

As far as I know, SotS is still available on video in Japan. Its certainly easy enough to get a copy from there

tanc

Wow a "rogue committee" pretty much approved the project? I thought an article said they worked on it for a year? Then again, we have literally 1 sketch of what the retheme will look like.

In 1989, Splash Mountain cost $186 million today inflated. If they redo the Splash Mountain in both parks, it could very well be close to half a billion just to retheme. Tokyo probably thought about that as madness and said no way. Also, Tokyo has a lot of ride sponsors so I would imagine redoing a ride would be a bit rude if someone sponsored it. Plus Splash Mountain has a quick service restaurant in Tokyo.

Regardless, it is sad that now Epcot will suffer due to this change. Mary Poppins sounded like it would be an amazing addition.

_caleb

Wow a "rogue committee" pretty much approved the project? I thought an article said they worked on it for a year? Then again, we have literally 1 sketch of what the retheme will look like.

In 1989, Splash Mountain cost $186 million today inflated. If they redo the Splash Mountain in both parks, it could very well be close to half a billion just to retheme. Tokyo probably thought about that as madness and said no way. Also, Tokyo has a lot of ride sponsors so I would imagine redoing a ride would be a bit rude if someone sponsored it. Plus Splash Mountain has a quick service restaurant in Tokyo.

Regardless, it is sad that now Epcot will suffer due to this change. Mary Poppins sounded like it would be an amazing addition.
Welcome to the boards!
I’m curious, what was it about the Mary Poppins ride that made it sound like it was going to be an amazing addition to Epcot?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom