News Cars-Themed Expansion at Magic Kingdom

Chef idea Mickey`=

They wanted that last-surprise announcement at the end. Here is another reason they should have announced it alongside Cars: even though Magic Mirror was talking to Josh, when he said the word "tommorow" and the phrase "a land is twisted and broken," I immediately thought it was an announcement about Tomorrowland. I think audience members did too, because the place erupted when that phrase was said. Though Villains was still a nice surprise, their choosing of words to announce it left us Anaheim fans disappointed again.

Wow! That was way worse for them than actually than anybody silenced and crickets over Cars when they know deep down that their V land would been last.

I think that silence is due to the fact that Coco was announced moved over coast already anyone would assume that their V land may be removed the only glim of hope was DHS which I think Monstroplis was announced before Cars so that would been the last hope of change of location. See they sure know how to pull you off your ride horse. šŸ˜µšŸ˜Ŗ

donaldtoo

Iā€™m looking at photos Iā€™ve taken of BTM and it definitely looks like theyā€™re taking out the RoA. This isnā€™t a shortening, this is a complete replacement.View attachment 808259View attachment 808260

Never thought Iā€™d see something like this in my lifetime, but, then again, I never expected to live even this long anyway.
Yea, ā€œnot a museumā€ and all, but no less disturbing for an old Disney fan, like myself. :(

JD80

Could Tesla-style Full Self Driving me done here on a known course without driver intervention? Probably not yet, but that type of thing isn't far off.

In my professional life, I work with autonomous vehicles (not trucks and cars) and in order to have the safety and precision to travel on these things outdoors is very very good safety rated 3d cameras along side good LiDAR Is it possible? Sure thing, you mostly need defined spaces and shapes of terrain.

Would it be reliable in different weather? Bright sun? Wet? Humid? Lol no.

JD80

Isnā€™t the trackless ride system pretty close to this anyway? Weā€™re not talking about merging lanes on I-4.
The difference is an indoor area vs. an outdoor area. You think Rise is unreliable? Wait until you get water and dust covering sensor lenses.

What if this is a new Jungle Cruise/Safari ride where you have someone driving :D

TrainsOfDisney

Though Villains was still a nice surprise, their choosing of words to announce it left us Anaheim fans disappointed again.
Florida tooā€¦. Tomorrowland needs more attention than frontier right now.
Yea, ā€œnot a museumā€ and all, but no less disturbing for an old Disney fan, like myself.
At this point Iā€™d argue Disneyland and Magic Kingdom should become partial museums - updates and refreshes are fine but moving towards a historical society could be a really good thing.

Since both properties have the blessing of size now - thereā€™s no negative at all.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
The way they described the second cars attraction makes me think Tomorrowland Speedway isn't long for this world. There is also Twitter talk/speculation of Laugh Floor moving to DHS which would then leave a lot of holes in Tomorrowland. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
They are very long-term focused now.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least bit.
Please put a lagoon in Tomorrowland Disney!

Brer Panther

and they get long lines cause theyā€™re all great, but you have management that wants IP and customers who complain about certain IP not being in parks. Thatā€™s their mindset with new additions- all those are nearly 20+ years old at LEAST.
I'm sure there was an IP-based attraction that was a failure despite being IP-based. Stitch's Great Escape?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
In my professional life, I work with autonomous vehicles (not trucks and cars) and in order to have the safety and precision to travel on these things outdoors is very very good safety rated 3d cameras along side good LiDAR Is it possible? Sure thing, you mostly need defined spaces and shapes of terrain.

Would it be reliable in different weather? Bright sun? Wet? Humid? Lol no.

Dynamic Attractions seems to think it's viable.

pwnbeaver

Concept art looks really fun, and the rock work will likely be gorgeous. It will be good.

They did accelerate something I thought would take another ten years or so. My thoughts on Tiana's last year can be easily copy and pasted for this:

I think the worrying about how it fits into the concept of Frontierland is something that will likely not matter once enough years have passed. This seems like the beginning of the end of "Frontierland" as it is, which is a land that does not match the understanding of history and the Westward expansion that we will likely continue to have going forward. The genie will not exactly be put back in the bottle here.

They should pull the band aid off. I just came back from Tokyo, and "Westernland" is already a better name for what the concept is at this point. I think the main mistake Disney is making here is not having a unified theme and name ready to go, rather than just slowly eroding the old Frontierland theme. What this will lead to is renaming the place "Adventure Frontier" or "Wilderness Dreams" or "Entrance to Villainsland: Heroes Rising" in ten years.

Based on the way he operated, I bet if Walt had lived another ten years he would have completed rethemed or replaced one of the major Disneyland lands. I think Frontierland is the only one that isn't universal or relevant enough to stick around forever.

SpectreJordan

Honestly, I'm down for this idea so far.

I'm very glad that it's not just a port of Radiator Springs. I like the story of this being a unique location that's not from the movies. You could imagine this is something from the Cars universe or just an area of Frontierland that happens to have Cars in it. This area will be especially good if the Cars characters are largely left in the rides outside of a meet & greet.

The Chatbox Ghost

I'm sure there was an IP-based attraction that was a failure despite being IP-based. Stitch's Great Escape?
Well yeah, IP doesnā€™t guarantee popularity. But itā€™s sadly the priority now. The Cars ride could work amazing if it were wagons instead of race cars, but IP demands it. If this were a project from 30 years ago it wouldnā€™t have any IP at all.

TheRealSkull

Florida tooā€¦. Tomorrowland needs more attention than frontier right now.

At this point Iā€™d argue Disneyland and Magic Kingdom should become partial museums - updates and refreshes are fine but moving towards a historical society could be a really good thing.

Since both properties have the blessing of size now - thereā€™s no negative at all.
What Florida's Tomorrowland needs isn't an aesthetic overhaul, but it just needs a new attraction or two and maybe an upgrade to Space Mountain, plus something else to make Tomorrowland Speedway more relevant.

Disneyland's however, is a mess aesthetically.

I do agree with your statement in saying Tomorrowland needs help more than Frontierland, however, this seems to be of their utmost priority right now for some reason.

James Alucobond

What Florida's Tomorrowland needs isn't an aesthetic overhaul, but it just needs a new attraction or two and maybe an upgrade to Space Mountain, plus something else to make Tomorrowland Speedway more relevant.

Disneyland's however, is a mess aesthetically.

I do agree with your statement in saying Tomorrowland needs help more than Frontierland, however, this seems to be of their utmost priority right now for some reason.
I mean ... WDW Tomorrowland is also an aesthetic mess. Several raygun gothic props still litter the space from the 90s redo, some partially stripped back or heavily altered structural elements were just painted white rather than properly repaired or rethemed, they stopped repaving the area halfway during the latest round of work, and there are about three or four different styles for the area that are at odds with one another. Three attractions are in desperate need of replacement, one attraction sits completely empty, and one attraction needs repairs ASAP.

TrainsOfDisney

We will see. Josh said cars is coming to ā€œa reimagined section of Frontierlandā€
Yes thatā€™s the concern - Iā€™m not against cars being part of the magic kingdom. I could even live with cars being ā€œbeyond big thunderā€ but this is supposedly replacing the very heart and soul of the western side of the park!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom