News Cars-Themed Expansion at Magic Kingdom

SplashJacket

I would have to think this is artistic license. I can't imagine any ride system that could safely simulate this type of action outside without having some sort of track. Putting aside the issue of weather, the RSR ride system seems to be the best fit for this.
Could Tesla-style Full Self Driving me done here on a known course without driver intervention? Probably not yet, but that type of thing isn't far off.
Any potential benefit would be very slim with a huge list of downsides.

If it's truly "off-road" and not paved then the constant wear and tear of the vehicles would require insane maintenance to ensure a suitable and safe surface, especially considering the continuous Florida rain.

If it's fake "off-road" then there are zero benefits to making it autonomous and non-guided.

SplashJacket

Supposedly, a Tesla drives 7 million miles before experiencing a crash in autopilot.

I assume these numbers are fudged a bit if autopilot disengages before a crash, but let's take its word for it.

If we assume there are 10 vehicles, each traveling an average of 10 miles per hour (slow sections cancel out fast sections) for 14 hours per day, that's roughly a half million miles per year. This is likely a conservative estimate, but that means with current technology, there would be a crash every 14 years.

In theory, that's not even that bad, especially if you believe a crash every 7 million miles is too frequent, you also realize the integration hell with an automated system like this.

If TBA goes down all the time (very likely for tripped log sensors), could you imagine how often a ride like this would go down?

This wouldn't be like a trackless ride either. Trackless rides are on a flat plane and move at very modest speeds. Rise uniquely has fall risks associated with the second story, but barriers ensure its safety.

Now imagine, an autonomous vehicle going 50 mph off road. If there's a failure, what do you do? If it's another vehicle you just continue your path and slow down to your designated spot. But if the vehicle going 50 mph has a failure, what do you do? If there's a failure its likely because it's somewhere it's not supposed to be, so you can't just continue the path and slowly stop.

Say a tire blows randomly (as is possible, even with proper maintenance) while the car is going 50 mph, causing the car to catch and blow off course, how does the ride vehicle respond?

An autonomous off-road system like this turns a relatively minor ride-system failure into a possibly life-threatening situation.

Genuinely one of the worst ideas I've ever heard and I'm embarrassed for Dynamic Attractions to suggest it as viable, let alone if Disney would adopt it.

Captain Neo

Best way to fix MK’s Tomorrowland imo:
  • Repaint everything with a 60s inspired color palette- white with red and blue accents
  • Redo signage and such to reflect this
  • Add a sit down restaurant- maybe a space jazz lounge with Sonny Eclispe?
  • Retrack Space Mountain and update effects
  • Replace MILF and SGE with new attractions, maybe BLSRS with Wreck it Ralph
Definitely a lot but it’ll make it last for a long time

they should get rid of buzz lightyear and repurpose that and the monsters inc and stitch buildings for original attractions. Why does everything have to be advertising an IP? It was never like that before

lazyboy97o

Any potential benefit would be very slim with a huge list of downsides.

If it's truly "off-road" and not paved then the constant wear and tear of the vehicles would require insane maintenance to ensure a suitable and safe surface, especially considering the continuous Florida rain.

If it's fake "off-road" then there are zero benefits to making it autonomous and non-guided.
It wouldn’t be truly off road. It would be a defined route on a scenic and sculpted path like Kilimanjaro Safaris. Not would it be truly autonomous, it would be following a defined path even if there are multiple seeming options.

TrainsOfDisney

Rocket jet was the spinning rocket ride that was above the peoplemover station, phantom boats were a boat by the subs and autopia. Pizza planet used to be Mission to mars.
Rocket jet was replaced with the decorative satellite thing - did it ever move? I guess it might me broken.

The boat dock is a sitting area - not rotting.

Magic Eye is the equivalent of stitch - should be used but nobody realizes it’s there.

A pizza restaurant is a restaurant - and is popular with guests.

So from that list that leaves PeopleMover as the main issue and carousel of progress being unfortunate.

lazyboy97o

For example. The icon for Disneyland park, Sleeping Beauty castle. Chosen for advertisement purposes, opened 4 years before the movie even came out. Disney has been using the parks as an advertising/synergy/merchandising machine since their inception.
This is just a complete and total distortion of what actually occurred. Disneyland was always going to have a castle and it had nothing to do with any one specific movie. The Sleeping Beauty Castle name was a very, very late decision. So late that Fantasyland Castle was still publicly used at times even after opening.

MagicHappens1971

This is just a complete and total distortion of what actually occurred. Disneyland was always going to have a castle and it had nothing to do with any one specific movie. The Sleeping Beauty Castle name was a very, very late decision. So late that Fantasyland Castle was still publicly used at times even after opening.
I didn’t know this so I do apologize for equating Sleeping Beauty castle to this.

Centauri Space Station

Phantom Boats were replaced by the Submarine Voyage. Motor Boat Cruise is the nearby boat attraction that survived until the 90s.
Thanks my mistake!

Rocket jet was replaced with the decorative satellite thing - did it ever move? I guess it might me broken.

The boat dock is a sitting area - not rotting.

Magic Eye is the equivalent of stitch - should be used but nobody realizes it’s there.

A pizza restaurant is a restaurant - and is popular with guests.

So from that list that leaves PeopleMover as the main issue and carousel of progress being unfortunate.
IMG_3335.jpeg
IMG_1259.jpeg
IMG_1258.jpeg
IMG_8312.jpeg
I mean it’s a lot worse shape than MKs is in

SplashJacket

It wouldn’t be truly off road. It would be a defined route on a scenic and sculpted path like Kilimanjaro Safaris. Not would it be truly autonomous, it would be following a defined path even if there are multiple seeming options.
I understand and appreciate that, but unless it goes insanely slow, if some error occurs, on every other ride system, the solution is to cease motion.

If a ride vehicle has a fault while going 50 miles per hour, that fault means it can't continue the existing path/the autonomous system doesn't trust the input/output relationship. On a tracked system, where velocity can only be added/removed, removing velocity at a fault is not an issue, but with this, removing velocity isn't enough when you don't know where you're going.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom