News Cars-Themed Expansion at Magic Kingdom

doctornick

Was this a pretty last minute decision? I’m almost thinking they were ready to announce Coco for MK instead of DCA and then abruptly changed course?

Where would the coco attraction have gone in comparison?

Ironically, I think most of the concerns here about the Coco addition to MK revolved around the ride mechanism - doing a Soarin' style flying theater. If a boat ride like what was shown for DCA was on the table, I think it would have been warmly embraced as a MK addition.

MerlinTheGoat

Incidentally, that tall spiraling mesa structure reminds me of something from a video game. Not sure what, maybe this kinda?

Banjokazooie4.jpg

SplashJacket

This is the only thing in the presentation I’m not really excited about. Even in a vacuum, had they done this land at Hollywood Studios, this would be the least exciting announcement to me (below Coco, below Avengers, below Monsters Inc, etc.) but it doesn’t carry the least expense.

I really hope it’s more towards the back end of RoA and not visible from Haunted Mansion, but I know it likely will be.

The one major miss in a D23 that pretty much gave us what we wanted.

Sir_Cliff

Except Tiana's takes place in the 1920s and Big Thunder Mountain before that.

I understand how they want to change Frontierland, but the end result will still be a mix of unrelated ideas whose only commonality are that they are set somewhere in the USA (not even the west).
This is perhaps subjective, but the fact Tiana is still set a century ago and all visible references to that period emerge once you pass under the railway tracks doesn't fundamentally alter the feel of the attractions around it. At the very least, the land remains visibly anchored in a rustic past and, cognitively, it is not that hard to process walking from the 19th to the early-20th century any more than it is to walk between geographical regions within a single land.

At least for me, putting something so contemporary as off-road vehicles or racing cars into the land does completely shift the tone because there's no way of blurring times and places between that experience and the 19th or even early-20th century in a way that makes any cognitive sense.

Chef idea Mickey`=

Apparently this announcement caused crickets in the audience and probably was extremely awkward for Disney. People said they were really trying to rush the Cars announcements after it.

It wasn't a smart idea to announce this before Villains. I don't know why they didn't do it side by side like with Avatar and Coco for DCA. Didn't people forget that since Encanto was moved to another park that they would had to replace the void with something.. or is it no matter what announcements nobody trusts that 70% of them will make it alas Epcot transformation.

TheRealSkull

Except Tiana's takes place in the 1920s and Big Thunder Mountain before that.

I understand how they want to change Frontierland, but the end result will still be a mix of unrelated ideas whose only commonality are that they are set somewhere in the USA (not even the west).
Again, if you look at the Disney Parks as a whole from that perspective, then not a lot would make any sense. Think about it.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
This is perhaps subjective, but the fact Tiana is still set a century ago and all visible references to that period emerge once you pass under the railway tracks doesn't fundamentally alter the feel of the attractions around it. At the very least, the land remains visibly anchored in a rustic past and, cognitively, it is not that hard to process walking from the 19th to the early-20th century any more than it is to walk between geographical regions within a single land.

At least for me, putting something so contemporary as off-road vehicles or racing cars into the land does completely shift the tone because there's no way of blurring times and places between that experience and the 19th or even early-20th century in a way that makes any cognitive sense.
The tone has shifted away from a period in time to a celebration of the wilderness, ode to the great outdoors.

Imagine if they relocated the Wilderness Explorers here!?

Brer Panther

Although maybe we should just consider ourselves lucky this wasn't brought to Animal Kingdom under the guise of wilderness and focus on American animals...
I could actually picture them doing that. I'll take Cars in Frontierland over that easily.
I've always opposed Cars in Frontierland, regardless of the form. I'd have been more receptive of a clone of the existing DCA variant over in Hollywood Studios. Provided it included the town and was built on an unused plot of land and didn't replace anything of importance.
I agree, but it could be worse. At least it's not another Toy Story ride. Remember THOSE rumors?
They don’t want original stuff.
Really? Non-IP attractions like Soarin', Test Track, Kilimanjaro Safaris, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, and Expedition Everest still get long lines, don't they?
So what happens to the Liberty Belle? Scrapped?
Between this and the removal of the riverboat from Tiana's Bayou Adventure, riverboats must not be allowed in the Magic Kingdom anymore.
The camp that detests the googly-eyed Cars ruining their Frontierland.. Just curious, How would you feel about the Country Bears racing through the mountainside?
You joke, but a Country Bears dark ride would be really cool.

lazyboy97o

Buffalo Bill Cody died in 1919. Annie Oakley died in 1926. Wyatt Earp died in 1929. I’m a bit more forgiving of the 1920s in Frontierland as people who helped defined that era lived to see that world.

The 1920s also aren’t new to Frontierland, see Country Bear Hall.

Sectorkeeper71

From what I understand, not really no. Existing trackless rides are said to rely on extremely smooth and flat terrain without elevation. You can get a traditional busbar or slotted EMV-like system to work with elevation, but getting trackless system to work with complex slopes and such would be much more troublesome. I would also imagine having such a ride outside where weather and other environmental variables are at play would present further challenges to such a system.
I can see constant E-stops for an outside ride like that because a squirrel ran across the track or a branch fell. Sounds like an ops nightmare tbh

The Chatbox Ghost

Really? Non-IP attractions like Soarin', Test Track, Kilimanjaro Safaris, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, and Expedition Everest still get long lines, don't they?
and they get long lines cause they’re all great, but you have management that wants IP and customers who complain about certain IP not being in parks. That’s their mindset with new additions- all those are nearly 20+ years old at LEAST.
The camp that detests the googly-eyed Cars ruining their Frontierland.. Just curious, How would you feel about the Country Bears racing through the mountainside?
I’d be all for it, assuming they were driving either whimsical vehicles like in the scrapped Critter Country 500, or vintage cars like those rides you see in smaller parks where you drive old 1900s cars through wilderness.

TheRealSkull

It wasn't a smart idea to announce this before Villains. I don't know why they didn't do it side by side like with Avatar and Coco for DCA. Didn't people forget that since Encanto was moved to another park that they would had to replace the void with something.. or is it no matter what announcements nobody trusts that 70% of them will make it alas Epcot transformation.
They wanted that last-surprise announcement at the end. Here is another reason they should have announced it alongside Cars: even though Magic Mirror was talking to Josh, when he said the word "tommorow" and the phrase "a land is twisted and broken," I immediately thought it was an announcement about Tomorrowland. I think audience members did too, because the place erupted when that phrase was said. Though Villains was still a nice surprise, their choosing of words to announce it left us Anaheim fans disappointed again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom