News Cars-Themed Expansion at Magic Kingdom

James Alucobond

The negative comments toward this here are bizarre and disappointing. People will likely love this and it’ll fit in the back of Frontierland quite well. Then again I shouldn’t exactly expect an online forum in 2024 to reflect the average park visitor.
I don't think it's bizarre for people to at least be a bit concerned about how this land will be situated since it is potentially so temporally incongruous with everything else in Liberty Square and Frontierland. It's possible they'll pull the sightlines off decently, but without further information, a bit of hand-wringing is not unwarranted.

fgmnt

The way they described the second cars attraction makes me think Tomorrowland Speedway isn't long for this world. There is also Twitter talk/speculation of Laugh Floor moving to DHS which would then leave a lot of holes in Tomorrowland. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
Don't want to jump too far off topic but the way way overly optimistic take is that 2026 D23 announces a co-redevelopment of the domestic Tomorrowlands as the last announcement.

The Chatbox Ghost

they should get rid of buzz lightyear and repurpose that and the monsters inc and stitch buildings for original attractions. Why does everything have to be advertising an IP? It was never like that before
I agree, but at least in Florida, the priority seems to be giving people what they expect when they hear “Disney”- brands they already know.

Personally I’d want to bring back Time Keeper and Alien Encounter for the Monsters and Stitch locations, respectively. Then you can have Buzz be an evergreen IP and somewhere add a sit down restaurant.

lazyboy97o

I understand and appreciate that, but unless it goes insanely slow, if some error occurs, on every other ride system, the solution is to cease motion.

If a ride vehicle has a fault while going 50 miles per hour, that fault means it can't continue the existing path/the autonomous system doesn't trust the input/output relationship. On a tracked system, where velocity can only be added/removed, removing velocity at a fault is not an issue, but with this, removing velocity isn't enough when you don't know where you're going.
Radiator Springs Racers doesn’t even hit 50.

A big reason for the warehouse look of true trackless rides is to provide space for the ride vehicles if/when they go off their designated course.

fgmnt

I don't think it's bizarre for people to at least be a bit concerned about how this land will be situated since it is potentially so temporally incongruous with everything else in Liberty Square and Frontierland. It's possible they'll pull the sightlines off decently, but without further information, a bit of hand-wringing is not unwarranted.
I think the temporal argument is pretty goofy outside of Liberty Square.

The other major lands have little to no fixed temporal link. Fantasyland is a center for timeless, largely Eurocentric fairy tales between the late midieval up to Peter Pan and Winnie the Pooh of mid 20th century England. Tomorrowland has lead different lives of vague futures and an alien spaceport. Adventureland has no real fixed temporal link, as it's major attractions are vaguely 17-18th and 19-20th century.

Frontierland opened as a place to retell stories of the imagined American West at the turn of the century. I don't think the general public is going to crave those stories much anymore, and Disney seems to agree as BTM was the only major attraction opened in Frontierland that meets that mark. You can deliver a sense of exploration of the American West from behind the windshield of a car though. That's a shared American experience. I think it would be reckless to kill off RoA to deliver this, and you can be skeptical that they will deliver this feeling, but it fits a lot better here than CBMJ and TBA.

TrainsOfDisney

There’s an entire ride path beyond the dock
You mean in the water? Visually that’s just a duck pond now.
I mean it’s a lot worse shape than MKs is in
Eh. I’ve been to both within a year. It’s still a toss up to me. I can’t argue which is better or worse. The peoplemover track probably tips the scale but Tomorrowland terrace sitting unused and empty (except for cupcakes) is equally unforgiving.
Don't want to jump too far off topic but the way way overly optimistic take is that 2026 D23 announces a co-redevelopment of the domestic Tomorrowlands as the last announcement.
At least by then Josh will be CEO - we may get a little more of what we want. I’m not saying Josh is the savior, but there is at least hope.

SplashJacket

Radiator Springs Racers doesn’t even hit 50.

A big reason for the warehouse look of true trackless rides is to provide space for the ride vehicles if/when they go off their designated course.
Exactly, so if that's needed for this, wouldn't the drawbacks be far larger than any potential benefits?

EPICOT

Is it possible they keep the lower "ring" of the ROA and just the western section of river that wraps around BTM? The riverboat could then access the back-of-house if a drawbridge is placed from the HM area to BTM area. This option would allow the riverboat to still make laps, but TSI would be inaccessible. Regardless, I think either TSI or the riverboat will be removed (but most likely both).

SpaceMountain77

The concept art reminded me of Disney's Wilderness Lodge and, specifically, National Park Lodges because of the rooflines, log beams, and stucco. If Disney's Wilderness Lodge is truly a resort extension of Frontierland, an attraction that includes traveling through trails and geysers further connects the resort to the land by means of incorporating Oregon Country.

I believe it can work, but hope that it is not at the expense of the Rivers of America and ability to ride the Liberty Belle.

James Alucobond

Frontierland opened as a place to retell stories of the imagined American West at the turn of the century. I don't think the general public is going to crave those stories much anymore, and Disney seems to agree as BTM was the only major attraction opened in Frontierland that meets that mark. You can deliver a sense of exploration of the American West from behind the windshield of a car though. That's a shared American experience. I think it would be reckless to kill off RoA to deliver this, and you can be skeptical that they will deliver this feeling, but it fits a lot better here than CBMJ and TBA.
You can argue all you want that it fits thematically, but it will be weird if they have modern all-terrain vehicles clearly visible from areas otherwise running on steam power and waterwheels with lazy harmonicas lilting in the background. Hopefully, that's generally averted by keeping the island Harpers Mill resides on in place or otherwise planning things to care for views, but that's the concern.

Mike S

You can argue all you want that it fits thematically, but it will be weird if they have modern all-terrain vehicles clearly visible from areas otherwise running on steam power and waterwheels with lazy harmonicas lilting in the background. Hopefully, that's generally averted by keeping the island Harpers Mill resides on in place or otherwise planning things to care for views, but that's the concern.
Maybe they could make it so that you can’t see the cars except from certain closer vantage points. Like from over by CBMJ all you’ll see is the mountain.

Technically they’ve already done this as I don’t recall ever being able to see the trains of Big Thunder from far away. Even RSR in California I don’t think you see the cars until you’re close enough.

Sir_Cliff

Is that really an appealing theme for a land in a Disney theme park, though? Essentially, the theme becomes "what you would be experiencing if you went on a road trip with your family this year (and saved a ton of money)."

I struggle to see how turning into just a contemporary journey through the American west doesn't make the bulk of what's already there read as some kind of tourist town along the lines of Dinoland, USA. To me, it takes all the romance and interest out it by transporting me to a place I could probably go easily enough if I wanted to.

Jrb1979

The negative comments toward this here are bizarre and disappointing. People will likely love this and it’ll fit in the back of Frontierland quite well. Then again I shouldn’t exactly expect an online forum in 2024 to reflect the average park visitor.
Here's the way I see it. Most like all the announcements and new additions coming. What many are upset about is not the ride itself but the placement of it.

Many want the parks to keep their original theme

TrainsOfDisney

The negative comments toward this here are bizarre and disappointing. People will likely love this and it’ll fit in the back of Frontierland quite well.
It’s likely not going into the back of Frontierland but rather the very center of it.
Hence the negative comments.

Then again I shouldn’t exactly expect an online forum in 2024 to reflect the average park visitor.
Who is “the average park visitor”? - Disney appeals to such a wide demographic it’s silly to speak negatively towards those that show extra interest by being a member of a fan community…. Which you yourself are too so maybe you’re not the best judge either? Haha

fgmnt

I mean, the steam train also runs right up against the entry plaza for the roller coaster themed to motorcycles in a computer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom