News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

fractal

The comparison doesn’t really hold because in this case you’re tearing out recreation and vistas for, well, different recreation and vistas. It’s not like converting recreational space into housing at all. Not that there aren’t complaints to level, but this analogy isn’t it.

The analogy works if you consider this a sacrifice of aesthetics and atmosphere for more "efficient" utilization of the area.

CoasterCowboy67

The comment wasn’t about that, but I also don’t find Zanetti’s comments compelling.
It wasn't, but it's an example of how seemingly obvious parts of the design process (e.g., land survey, geotechnical and environmental reports, etc.) are worth highlighting, given the material impact they can have on what feels like shocking end results. And at least equally worth highlighting as sensational Disney-wants-to-deliberately-ruin-everything-we-love speculations

What don't you find compelling about his explanation?

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
There are at least  two active petitions to save the Rivers of America at Magic Kingdom. Rivers of America is a classic part of the Magic Kingdom, and is intrinsic to the theming of Liberty Square, Frontierland and any New Orleans themed areas. Please send Disney a message that they can't remove this part of Walt's legacy. Please consider signing these petitions.

Here's one: Please sign to save Rivers of America

Here's another: please sign this one too!

I doubt a petition will do any good. The fact that they held back the concept art and permits until right after D23 demonstrates that they knew there would be backlash.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Knowing I am a Disney fan, two of my co-workers asked be about my thoughts on the D23 announcements. They are both into pop-culture and have visited Disney World, although neither is what I would call a "Disney fan". The did not know about the river being removed and both were shocked when I told them about that.

James Alucobond

The analogy works if you consider this a sacrifice of aesthetics and atmosphere for more "efficient" utilization of the area.
It’s not even really more efficient, though? They have to utilize a significant portion of the space the Rivers currently occupy to visually transition into the new area and obscure the track. And there may ultimately be less total capacity. They’re just banking on it being more desirable and Lightning Lane-able.

October82

It wasn't, but it's an example of how seemingly obvious parts of the design process (e.g., land survey, geotechnical and environmental reports, etc.) are worth highlighting, given the material impact they can have on what feels like shocking end results. And at least equally worth highlighting as sensational Disney-wants-to-deliberately-ruin-everything-we-love speculations

What don't you find compelling about his explanation?
Comments like Zanetti's that hype the sort of things that come up in technical reports everyday as the explanation when it's much simpler - it's not that Disney is deliberately malicious, it's that they do not care.

Charlie The Chatbox Ghost

Moana has a nice expansion pad (originally intended for Fire Mountain).

Yes, it requires Disney to have the land inspected and determine if it is suitable to build on. Yes, they would probably have to adjust a road or two.

Jungle Cruise merch would sell, but that would require Disney to make JC merch (that isn’t just a MB+).
The funny thing is, Disney could sell merch for ANY parks IP if they wanted to. Haunted Mansion merch sells. Figment merch sells. If they made merch for Pirates (the ride, not the movie), Country Bears, Jungle Cruise, Small World, etc., it'd sell. People love the parks IP more than Disney expects. The CBMJ shirt has been selling well because people WANT CBJ merch. Disney would rather just sell the kind of merch you can get at any Target in America, because it's safe.

dreamfinding

The funny thing is, Disney could sell merch for ANY parks IP if they wanted to. Haunted Mansion merch sells. Figment merch sells. If they made merch for Pirates (the ride, not the movie), Country Bears, Jungle Cruise, Small World, etc., it'd sell. People love the parks IP more than Disney expects. The CBMJ shirt has been selling well because people WANT CBJ merch. Disney would rather just sell the kind of merch you can get at any Target in America, because it's safe.
Take the Small World ornament from Hallmark this year. The thing flew off of the shelves and is already out of stock. Not to mention, the Haunted Mansion ornament series has been extremely well received. There was a POTC pig scene ornament a few years ago that was popular as well.

I say all that to make a point of that the fans are out there.

You joke, but Disney doesn’t realize the real cash cow - alcohol. High profit margins on alcohol and intoxicated guests = more loose spending.

I know they were anti alcohol for a while, but in all honestly it’s a huge money maker that they never truly tapped into.
I've been saying, if they turn Pecos Bill's into a Hungry Bear that has a new Mile Long Bar in it, people will flock to it. Sell Big Al's Moonshine Jug as a novelty drinking mug and roll in the profits.

CoasterCowboy67

It’s not even really more efficient, though? They have to utilize a significant portion of the space the Rivers currently occupy to visually transition into the new area and obscure the track. And there may ultimately be less total capacity. They’re just banking on it being more desirable and Lightning Lane-able.
How would it not be more efficient? If we define capacity efficiency as # people per square foot of space, the Cars proposal is easily orders of magnitude more efficient than ROA today. You're converting space occupied by water and a small island (that only a limited number of guests utilize today via boat) into 2 attractions each with packed queues, walking paths, bridges, retail, and vertical use of space in the form of a mountain

Wall-e

I was out but ya'll lured me back in with this IP in the parks discussion...Peter Pan, Mister Toad, Alice in Wonderland, 20,000 Leagues, Snow White, Song of the South/Splash Mountain, Buzz Lightyear, Dumbo...IP's that have been in the parks for over 25 years, some since the park opened. It is my opinion/observation that the position of some people that the MK was not built with IP's in mind is being made because Cars does not fit their view of what a traditional Disney IP is.

However, I am sorry to say that the current generation of kids has little emotional attachment to the traditional MK and Disney IP's that where integral to the MK when it opened. Being in my forties and a child of the late 80's/early 90's Disney to me is IP's like Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, and then Pixar as they came to form as well. The original MK IP's were to some extent dated for me as a kid too. They are even more dated for my children who have no desire for anything related to PP, SW, Dumbo, or Alice.

An influx of IP's for their generation is absolutely necessary for the MK to form an emotional attachment in their heart's that they will then be able to pass along to their children.

Take the Small World ornament from Hallmark this year. The thing flew off of the shelves and is already out of stock. Not to mention, the Haunted Mansion ornament series has been extremely well received. There was a POTC pig scene ornament a few years ago that was popular as well.

I say all that to make a point of that the fans are out there.
Heck, the Figment book with DREAMFINDER recently sold incredibly well. People love the parks original stuff. Disney should realize if they make MORE parks original stuff, that's more characters to merchandize. You want to give people things they can't experience anywhere else in the parks. I can watch Cars or Encanto anytime I want on Disney+, but I can't see the Country Bear Jamboree or Jungle Cruise (the true versions, the parks versions) anytime I want, so it draws me to the parks to experience those unique attractions. Unique merch only sold in the parks is a cherry on top. I like those attractions so I'll buy that merch.

Last edited:

DCLcruiser

Disney does well with "family coasters" which don't have big drops or go crazy with inversions.

It's doing very well with the newer family coasters (SDD, TRON, GotG:CR) that are 'smooth' in that there's no jerking around. Kids love it. And seniors don't break a hip or get whiplash.

All of WDW's 'family coasters' have significant queues. Back in the old days of Genie+, SDD was the first LL attraction to fill each day.

Now that DHS is getting a third coaster, EP and DAK could each use a second.
MOAR coasters! Upside down please.

Wall-e

That's the point.
I'm just an "Average Joe," but I'm starting to feel like the "Smartest Man in America."
I see the most absurd things being accepted and even celebrated.
I try to communicate with people about these things, and I get ridiculed and dismissed.
I am not going back to find your post but I recall an earlier post from you where (paraphrasing) you said that your opinion was better than that of the general public. Were you being sarcastic?

I hope so because if not then this, in essence, would be why there is such a gap between those who are looking forward to the future of MK and those who claim they are done with Disney and will never be back again. An underlying belief among certain WDW guests that their enjoyment is more important then others.

Any chance we could split this forum into a discussion for those looking forward to what is to come and those sad to see Rivers and TSI go?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom