News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

montyz81

1723724179882.png

MrPromey

Isn’t it just Spielberg keeping the ET attraction alive?

That's the unconfirmed rumor.

Going to the park more than half a dozen times a year with a kid who loves it, I can say that while there are times it's a lot busier than others, I've never seen it as a complete walk on once you get to the forest section.

There are no empty vehicles or vehicles without the maximum number of people for the grouping (as in, uneven numbers that sometimes require and empty seat) going out during most normal operating hours even if the extended outside queue isn't always full.

While I'm sure there are executives who would love to use that space in a park that doesn't have room for a ton of expansion for something that might be more a of a draw, I don't think anyone's been wringing their hands over it all this time.

Last edited:

Biff215

Point being there has to be some large reason at play. This isn’t a simple project and Disney had much cheaper options within the boundaries of mk.
While no project of this size is simple, using RoA/TSI isn’t likely more difficult or expensive than any other option. Since they’re currently used areas with some infrastructure in place, you could argue it’s actually the easy way out (kind of like DvC dropping Riviera into CBR instead of building new somewhere else).

The LB is removed regularly for maintenance so that can be gone overnight. The RoA has been drained before and isn’t nearly as deep as most think. TSI has minimal structures to demo so that won’t take long either. The toughest parts will be working along the current guest areas along the river, but with BTMR down for a year plus, that also just got easier. I’d think some downtime for HM might be built into this later as well as they try to blend those areas.

I also would have preferred they use a different plot or even park, but all things considered, this is underutilized land in the world’s busiest theme park, and at least this replacement results in an increase in capacity for once!

celluloid

Isn’t it just Spielberg keeping the ET attraction alive?

Not really. Exaggerated. Current leadership has a play in that too. Partly due to friendships with Steven, but his consultant connection was bought out awhile ago.

It is more that ET rates high in G-sat and a low height requirement large scale ride with no bigger property for it yet.

If The Wild Robot or something similar is a smash hit, I think it could be time.

Dear Prudence

Alright, so I've thought about this a lot, ans I slept on it to make sure I still wanted to articulate this idea.

Frontierland changing isn't erasing history (other than theme park history, which is still a bummer, ngl), because it represents a "West" of the fantasy imagination of Movies and Television. It's, again, also not changing because of any kind of benevolence or care about any of this. Because this would actually be a great opportunity to highlight some actual historical figures of the "Western" period. Most actual cowboys were Black, Native, or Mexican. Highlight them. Again, hire cultural ambassadors from Native Nations the way they do for the other cultural ambassadors at EPCOT. The ROA Natives being stereotypes? Work with tribal historians to fix that. (Also starting by removing the corny peppers that tie into TBA, Stat.)

I know it's a theme park and not a museum, but since WDW gets so many international guests and because, for whatever reason, this period or these images are seen as intrinsically "American." Disneyland Paris has something to that effect, but it's not....great lol if I am being honest.

But it's about selling Cars merch. Which, you know, is fine, because they're a business. But I would very much appreciate them stop pretending like this is in anyway something altruistic or moral. Ha.

Incomudro

“Main Street has always been about people in the small town dreaming big! From a young Walt Disney to our favorite potty-mouth superhero - Main Street will soon be reimagined so that Deadpool can tell his Main Street story!” -Josh at D23, 20??
And while I love this joke, this is exactly why I said in a post a while back that you don't design parks for the people.
The people would love a Deadpool Main Street.
True Idiocracy.

MerlinTheGoat

“Main Street has always been about people in the small town dreaming big! From a young Walt Disney to our favorite potty-mouth superhero - Main Street will soon be reimagined so that Deadpool can tell his Main Street story!” -Josh at D23, 20??
Now just hear me out. A giant model of Deadpool's severed hand flipping the bird as a replacement for Cinderella castle. The kids would love it.

bwr827

Alright, so I've thought about this a lot, ans I slept on it to make sure I still wanted to articulate this idea.

Frontierland changing isn't erasing history (other than theme park history, which is still a bummer, ngl), because it represents a "West" of the fantasy imagination of Movies and Television. It's, again, also not changing because of any kind of benevolence or care about any of this. Because this would actually be a great opportunity to highlight some actual historical figures of the "Western" period. Most actual cowboys were Black, Native, or Mexican. Highlight them. Again, hire cultural ambassadors from Native Nations the way they do for the other cultural ambassadors at EPCOT. The ROA Natives being stereotypes? Work with tribal historians to fix that. (Also starting by removing the corny peppers that tie into TBA, Stat.)

I know it's a theme park and not a museum, but since WDW gets so many international guests and because, for whatever reason, this period or these images are seen as intrinsically "American." Disneyland Paris has something to that effect, but it's not....great lol if I am being honest.

But it's about selling Cars merch. Which, you know, is fine, because they're a business. But I would very much appreciate them stop pretending like this is in anyway something altruistic or moral. Ha.
Where did Disney say anything about altruism or morality regarding this new development?

I read your post twice, trying to understand. Not sure I get what you’re talking about.

FLDisneyFan

There are at least  two active petitions to save the Rivers of America at Magic Kingdom. Rivers of America is a classic part of the Magic Kingdom, and is intrinsic to the theming of Liberty Square, Frontierland and any New Orleans themed areas. Please send Disney a message that they can't remove this part of Walt's legacy. Please consider signing these petitions.

Here's one: Please sign to save Rivers of America

Here's another: please sign this one too!

Incomudro

That's the point.
I'm just an "Average Joe," but I'm starting to feel like the "Smartest Man in America."
I see the most absurd things being accepted and even celebrated.
I try to communicate with people about these things, and I get ridiculed and dismissed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom