News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

DCLcruiser

Disney does well with "family coasters" which don't have big drops or go crazy with inversions.

It's doing very well with the newer family coasters (SDD, TRON, GotG:CR) that are 'smooth' in that there's no jerking around. Kids love it. And seniors don't break a hip or get whiplash.

All of WDW's 'family coasters' have significant queues. Back in the old days of Genie+, SDD was the first LL attraction to fill each day.

Now that DHS is getting a third coaster, EP and DAK could each use a second.
MOAR coasters! Upside down please.

Wall-e

That's the point.
I'm just an "Average Joe," but I'm starting to feel like the "Smartest Man in America."
I see the most absurd things being accepted and even celebrated.
I try to communicate with people about these things, and I get ridiculed and dismissed.
I am not going back to find your post but I recall an earlier post from you where (paraphrasing) you said that your opinion was better than that of the general public. Were you being sarcastic?

I hope so because if not then this, in essence, would be why there is such a gap between those who are looking forward to the future of MK and those who claim they are done with Disney and will never be back again. An underlying belief among certain WDW guests that their enjoyment is more important then others.

Any chance we could split this forum into a discussion for those looking forward to what is to come and those sad to see Rivers and TSI go?

FLDisneyFan

I doubt a petition will do any good. The fact that they held back the concept art and permits until right after D23 demonstrates that they knew there would be backlash.

I'll sign but Disney has never responded to petitions --they will do the will of the bean counters
I should note that neither petition is from me, although I signed both. But i was glad to see the petitions out there. My hope (maybe my far fetched hope) is that the petition could serve as one small piece of what may stop the destruction of ROA and TSI. It's my understanding that notwithstanding Disney's claim that these are not "blue sky", they still haven't filed all the necessary paperwork to begin doing this. That's part of the reason this was such a surprise. My hope is that enough of a negative backlash, together with maybe some financial considerations, and who knows what else, may stall and then cause an end to this plan. Note that various factors have resulted in Disney changing course in the past: No Spaceship Earth refurb, no "play pavilion", no Mary Poppins ride. I would just assume helping to get this awful plan stuck in the mud as well.

graphite1326

You guys know how there's always one thing that puts you over the edge? The straw that broke the camel's back.

This one is mine. This is unforgivable. The justification of it fitting into the existing land is somehow worse than Chapek's of Cosmic Rewind ("Peter Quill visited EPCOT as a kid"). This is the greatest desecration of Magic Kingdom in its history, and keep in mind Cinderella Castle was once turned into a giant Pepto Bismol cake, and later covered in toilet paper.

The company that announced this is simply not the same company as the one that invented the theme park, and is not deserving of the legacy that got it to this place.
I could not have said it better.

James Alucobond

How would it not be more efficient? If we define capacity efficiency as # people per square foot of space, the Cars proposal is easily orders of magnitude more efficient than ROA today. You're converting space occupied by water and a small island (that only a limited number of guests utilize today via boat) into 2 attractions each with packed queues, walking paths, bridges, retail, and vertical use of space in the form of a mountain
They’re not apples to apples, and I have no idea what the theoretical capacity of TSI and RoA was. But you had a steamboat, rafts, and various structures that you could conceivably occupy indefinitely. Now, you’ll have two queues, a gift shop, and a pair of attractions of predetermined length. I’m sure someone could do the calculus, but the point is that this expansion is more about popularity, merchandising, LL revenue, and ease of access to other expansion pads than it is about efficiency.

Wall-e

It's like tearing up Central Park in NYC to build a shopping center and more apartment buildings.
That's a bit of an exaggeration. One is a few acres of man made river in a swamp in central Florida and the other is 843 acres in the middle of the largest city in the US. Central Park is owned by the city and therefore owned by it's citizens.

I am sorry you feel the way you do. I felt the same too until my son (who will one day be in our shoes) was as excited as I have ever seen him for anything in his 11 years. My wish is that one day people come to realize that what they want or hold close to them may not be long for this world and they could see that there are others (the future WDW Magic forum contributors) who may take an equal amount of joy in what is too come and that in itself should bring joy to you.

If the current Imagineers are truly stewards of Walt's vision I believe that is what Walt would be happiest about. What joy will this new land bring to the children of tomorrow?

phillip9698

The funny thing is, Disney could sell merch for ANY parks IP if they wanted to. Haunted Mansion merch sells. Figment merch sells. If they made merch for Pirates (the ride, not the movie), Country Bears, Jungle Cruise, Small World, etc., it'd sell. People love the parks IP more than Disney expects. The CBMJ shirt has been selling well because people WANT CBJ merch. Disney would rather just sell the kind of merch you can get at any Target in America, because it's safe.

This is 100% facts. We have bought way less merch lately because of two reasons, it seems every location is selling the same thing no matter the area or even the park. Also because it’s the same stuff you can find in retail stores. More unique merch tied to the parks is what we want.

Incomudro

I am not going back to find your post but I recall an earlier post from you where (paraphrasing) you said that your opinion was better than that of the general public. Were you being sarcastic?

I hope so because if not then this, in essence, would be why there is such a gap between those who are looking forward to the future of MK and those who claim they are done with Disney and will never be back again. An underlying belief among certain WDW guests that their enjoyment is more important then others.

Any chance we could split this forum into a discussion for those looking forward to what is to come and those sad to see Rivers and TSI go?
I wasn't being sarcastic.
I always look forward to what is to come at WDW.
But I don't look forward to it when it is at the destruction of something beautiful.

lazyboy97o

It wasn't, but it's an example of how seemingly obvious parts of the design process (e.g., land survey, geotechnical and environmental reports, etc.) are worth highlighting, given the material impact they can have on what feels like shocking end results. And at least equally worth highlighting as sensational Disney-wants-to-deliberately-ruin-everything-we-love speculations

What don't you find compelling about his explanation?
They’re only worth highlighting if they have some meaning. That the Adventureland site needs a geotechnical report has nothing to with the Moana project moving forward. And while Concept Design is very early in the whole process, there’s a good chance one was done or an older one referenced from past projects.

I don’t have it handy and am not interested in digging it back up. I don’t buy the claims of foundation issues or inability to build on the island. The river bed is just a concrete pad that holds the track and really just provides consistent definition to the shoreline. Calling it a foundation is a bit of a misnomer because it isn’t holding anything up. Its purpose is by-and-large aesthetic. The riverboat is free floating, so the track isn’t supporting its weight and could exist on a smaller mat or individual piers. So how is the riverbed failing? It could be leaking but so what?

The whole issue of not being able to do construction in the area is also bogus. They’re able to just drive trucks and equipment right into the river bed because it is concrete. Disney just rebuilt a bunch of facilities on Disneyland’s island and that one is more hemmed in.

dreamfinding

Heck, the Figment book with DREAMFINDER recently sold incredibly well. People love the parks original stuff. Disney should realize if they make MORE parks original stuff, that's more characters to merchandize. You want to give people things they can't experience anywhere else in the parks. I can watch Cars or Encanto anytime I want on Disney+, but I can't see the Country Bear Jamboree or Jungle Cruise (the true versions, the parks versions) anytime I want, so it draws me to the parks to experience those unique attractions. Unique merch only sold in the parks is a cherry on top. I like those attractions so I'll buy that merch.
If they took all of the profit from Figment merch and spent it on the ride, it’d be an absolute E ticket.

Charlie The Chatbox Ghost

This is 100% facts. We have bought way less merch lately because of two reasons, it seems every location is selling the same thing no matter the area or even the park. Also because it’s the same stuff you can find in retail stores. More unique merch tied to the parks is what we want.
A bit of an anecdotal point- last time I was at WDW (2022-2023, for New Years), I tried to find magnets for the parks since I collect magnets. There was a huge lack of magnets everywhere! Absolutely nothing for HS and MK (MK only had New Years and WDW 50th Magnets), Epcot only had a leftover 40th magnet and AK was the only one with a magnet specifically for that park. Outside of parks magnets, I wanted one for MuppetVision, Country Bears, Splash Mountain, and Haunted Mansion, but couldn't find any- settled with a die cast peel magnet with generic Muppets stock images on it. When I asked a cast member, they said that Disney has decided to stop making as many magnets, which has caused lots of guest complaints. Additionally, I saw the same merchandise EVERYWHERE. Every store had New Years/2023 magnets and 50th merch. Lots of stores had merch for properties that didn't fit (saw Marvel and Star Wars stuff in Animal Kingdom). I barely bought any merchandise the entire week I was there, I bought more at Universal because they actually had unique things to buy! (Though they also lacked magnets...)

Disney knows there's guest demands for specific products but won't make them. It's crazy!

phillip9698

A bit of an anecdotal point- last time I was at WDW (2022-2023, for New Years), I tried to find magnets for the parks since I collect magnets. There was a huge lack of magnets everywhere! Absolutely nothing for HS and MK (MK only had New Years and WDW 50th Magnets), Epcot only had a leftover 40th magnet and AK was the only one with a magnet specifically for that park. Outside of parks magnets, I wanted one for MuppetVision, Country Bears, Splash Mountain, and Haunted Mansion, but couldn't find any- settled with a die cast peel magnet with generic Muppets stock images on it. When I asked a cast member, they said that Disney has decided to stop making as many magnets, which has caused lots of guest complaints. Additionally, I saw the same merchandise EVERYWHERE. Every store had New Years/2023 magnets and 50th merch. Lots of stores had merch for properties that didn't fit (saw Marvel and Star Wars stuff in Animal Kingdom). I barely bought any merchandise the entire week I was there, I bought more at Universal because they actually had unique things to buy! (Though they also lacked magnets...)

Disney knows there's guest demands for specific products but won't make them. It's crazy!

Yep, i collected shot glasses. Had to stop because I couldn’t find unique ones for the resorts anymore. They were all 50th anniversary glasses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom