News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Grantwil93

Other side of DS. Plus, that's a restaurant and (larger?)
Paddlefish is definitely bigger. Probably more than twice the mass. I also don't even think it moves.

If they ever did that DVC resort on the River Country plot, the boat could be utilized there if it was gutted and parked.

Right now it's not really re-workable as anything but a gift shop with an inaccessible(to whhelchairs and such) top floor picture/viewing area. No matter where you park it.

Last edited:

Quietmouse

The interesting thing about the MK argument is that EPCOT's most successful period ever was when it was essentially nothing like the MK. It eventually became outdated and attendance declined, but as they've tried to make it a bit more like the MK over the years with IP, it's never really made a huge difference or brought back the popularity it had in the early years, when it was almost equal with MK in attendance.

I think Disney is better off with the parks being distinct from one another -- but they all need enough to do. MK is a multi-day park right now if people want to do everything it offers; EPCOT is the only other park that's potentially in that category and even that feels like a stretch.
The interesting thing about the MK argument is that EPCOT's most successful period ever was when it was essentially nothing like the MK. It eventually became outdated and attendance declined, but as they've tried to make it a bit more like the MK over the years with IP, it's never really made a huge difference or brought back the popularity it had in the early years, when it was almost equal with MK in attendance.

I think Disney is better off with the parks being distinct from one another -- but they all need enough to do. MK is a multi-day park right now if people want to do everything it offers; EPCOT is the only other park that's potentially in that category and even that feels like a stretch.

I think Epcot would be rather successful if they tied an aliens lane and planet of the apes lane since Disney has 20th century in their portfolio now.

I think if you made Epcot a sci fi themed land with aliens, planet of the apes, maybe throw in a replica of wakanda in there…I think that would be rather fruitful for Epcot.

If disney were super smart they would try to figure out how to acquire the dune and blade runner ip as well.

UNCgolf

I think Epcot would be rather successful if they tied an aliens lane and planet of the apes lane since Disney has 20th century in their portfolio now.

I think if you made Epcot a sci fi themed land with aliens, planet of the apes, maybe throw in a replica of wakanda in there…I think that would be rather fruitful for Epcot.

If disney were super smart they would try to figure out how to acquire the dune and blade runner ip as well.

God, I would hate that. EPCOT was the main reason I loved going to Disney as a kid, although almost everything about that park is gone now. I don't want them to go even further away from that original version.

The general public would probably like it, though.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

The lock is there to maintain the water level in the park so that it’s not moving up and down and much as the larger system. The water management system can be altered and it is being altered to remove the Rivers of America. A buried culvert under ground would be able to maintain the connection. But even then, the water could be fully disconnected.

There are detention ponds all over the place. They’re not filtered. Some have a fountain to keep the water moving.
Practically speaking, this sounds significantly more expensive to complete and regularly maintain than what Disneyland did to readjust their river, no? And that’s not even factoring in current interest rates for initial construction contracts.

Epcot82Guy

As this settles in, I think the nostalgia argument @johnparkhopper asked is what finally has been anchored here. WDW is there for people with nostalgia about Disney films, especially those that sell merch. The move of Parks under the commercial area of the company played the biggest role. If you are part of the guard who enjoyed the consistent theme, original creations, etc., you're money is welcome - but you (and your nostalgia) is not the focus. It is fully expendable. The company wants the nostalgia of people with kids who love the movie characters and buy the merch/themed food (at least at WDW).

This is a focusing of the audience. And, I can see the financial benefit of it. The one-time visitors won't care regardless and are probably expecting a lot of Disney character references. The people they want visiting over and over are DVC, those who buy character merch, and those who love the IP attractions. And, they are now actively sacrificing the "old" nostalgia.

I realize this isn't anything new... and water (even when removed) is still wet. It's more the clarity of just how far they plan to take this.

And, I should say, I am growing to accept the removal of the river. I wouldn't mind it if the new area was done well. If they were using the land as a way to properly stitch together that area ala Fantasy Springs or the like. I could envision a Frontier Land with "Critter Bayou", "Thunder Mesa" and "Wilderness Pass". Or, they could create a mountain range that traversed America in some way, taking the idea of the RoA upward. I could even get behind making Frontierland into Critter Bayou and creating a New Frontierland out of the remnants of Liberty Square plus this new area (Mansion going to Fantasyland like in Tokyo.) But, the goal should be making better sense of the area. Not finding a vehicle for a popular IP and trying to shoehorn it in. New Fantasyland worked well for this. Other lands less so. I don't want Frontierland to become the next World Discovery or Tomorrowland. But, that's what we're getting... And I think we're just going to get more of that in coming decisions.

Sorry for the rant. This one is just many of the straws. Before, I was angry. Now, going to Disney and spending money on dinner and the like just feels like it's not worth it any more. There's a time when you realize you just aren't welcome as the audience any longer.

Grantwil93

Richard will almost certainly be joining Joe in the big river in the sky. It makes no sense to put up with the maintenance

The lock is there to maintain the water level in the park so that it’s not moving up and down and much as the larger system. The water management system can be altered and it is being altered to remove the Rivers of America. A buried culvert under ground would be able to maintain the connection. But even then, the water could be fully disconnected.

There are detention ponds all over the place. They’re not filtered. Some have a fountain to keep the water moving.
Id be all for some more fountains, but all that sounds like redoing the infrastructure anyway without solving the crowd flow issues or the issue of resurfacing the riverbed. And throwing random fountains in the RoA between the island and frontierland doesn't exactly seem like a really cohesive option.

brb1006

When they changed the castle hub to the current version, the park lost some serenity/aesthetics, but that will seem incredibly minor to the whole riverfront disappearing.
Prior to the current hub, Cinderella Castle having trees help give the park more personality and its own identity. The trees even managed to hide the parade floats that ran across the park during the day and evening hours.
GDB0pI4WoAANX4v.jpg

The park even felt more lifelike since the trees located in front of the castle twinkled during the evening hours.
02.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Old Magic Kingdom really hits different compared to the post-Hub redesign.
Disney-Solo-Header-scaled.jpg

UNCgolf

Prior to the current hub, Cinderella Castle having trees help give the park more personality and its own identity. The trees even managed to hide the parade floats that ran across the park during the day and evening hours.
View attachment 809352

Even felt more lifelike since the trees located in front of the castle twinkled during the evening hours.
View attachment 809354

Old Magic Kingdom really hits different compared to the post-Hub redesign.
Disney-Solo-Header-scaled.jpg

Oh yeah, the park was much better to me when the hub still had trees.

Disstevefan1

Hey, you know what increases capacity even more? Putting Cars on virgin land to the north and keeping RoA/TSI. Why not all of it?

I mean, it's the busiest theme park in the world, why not max out capacity especially when you have the "blessing of size"?
You are 100 percent correct.

Ya know, in the old days, I thought I understood why they replace instead of add attractions. I would think to myself, the more attractions, the more cast needed, the more it costs poor Disney.

Fast forward to today, when we see as a company, the hundreds of millions of dollars waisted overpaying for accusations, money losing movies, the money pit called Disney+ and realizing it’s the theme parks that make the most money for the company, it’s truly perplexing to me why they replacing/retheme in the parks and not ADD TO THE PARKS!!!!

It’s really bad and it’s not going to end till there is not one original attraction remaining.

Grantwil93

Other side of DS. Plus, that's a restaurant and (larger?)
I was curious what the difference was. So I looked on Google earth at both from the same height. Wow, even I didn't really realize the difference.

I think a restaurant is totally out of the question unless you park it and attach a building to it and it becomes a facade, Essentially
Screenshot_20240814_153136_Google Earth.jpg

Screenshot_20240814_153316_Google Earth.jpg

hopemax

Oddly enough, while I am predicting eventual problems for the MK as it becomes more difficult to get the headliners accomplished, while simultaneously losing decompression zones, Epcot is the one likely to be the beneficiary. The, "You don't need to buy Genie/whatever they are calling it now because it isn't necessary at Epcot," will be the motivation for the normies to choose it, if they want to check WDW out. Ticket prices will be cheaper than MK, photo in front of the big ball, solid nighttime entertainment without feeling like a sardine, can still meet Mickey. Can manage to get on most things, in a 'theme park reasonable' period of time, options for those that want the more intense option (Guardians, TT, Soarin) or a less frenetic option (American Adventure, Living with the Land, etc.), with the overlaps of Spaceship Earth, Frozen, Ratatouille.

What would really do it, is when everyone stops telling people, "The MK is the best bang for your buck, for ride variety, LL availability and ease of touring" and pivots to, "My least stressful day was surprisingly Epcot." The most irreplaceable part of MK is probably HM/PotC but given the increasing use of "problematic" regarding those two, by the time all these MK changes are completed, and the stress intensified, younger parents may no longer feel they are missing out. But I don't trust Disney not to gut Epcot even more between now and then.

TrainsOfDisney

Id be all for some more fountains, but all that sounds like redoing the infrastructure anyway without solving the crowd flow issues or the issue of resurfacing the riverbed.
The solution would be fill in the back half of ROA - steamboat goes in a small circle around the small island - that also gets enclosed and cut off from the water system if that’s actually a problem.

That also solves the dead end at big thunder issue - which I guess was why they didn’t want to go with beyond big thunder since that would open up a new dead end (why someone couldn’t just say that I don’t know haha).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom