News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

TrainsOfDisney

I’m sure the expense of operating it on a daily basis is much more compared to docking it and just utilizing it as a restaurant. It will probably be more profitable compared to its current use.
Correct - it doesn’t even cost that much to operate - at DL it requires steam qualified maintenance or RR CM but at WDW they just have regular CM’s operate.

Docking it is no more maintenance than the cigar store Indians.
They aren't putting guests on a bridge 50 feet above the ground.
I was just answering the question.
They aren't building your 'vision'.
Noooooo I meant my physical vision haha. As in my eyes see water in the concept art haha

Grantwil93

View attachment 809336

Pull up a milk crate and sit a spell, young man.

There are people on this thread who have park ponchos older than you.

Half of them have said "I'm still upset about If You Had Wings" to their therapist.

The "Bring Back World of Motion" club meets on Tuesdays at 8. Bring a covered dish.
Mine is the original script with the tour guide for the bird show at DAK 😅

We all have something we loved that is either a shell of its former self or just gone.

My biggest hope is that this Cars land will kill the speedway and we get a dual TomorrowLand overhaul for WDW and DL announced in like 3-5 years.

Kamikaze

Yeah, I don't even care about removing TSI.

My only real issue is the waterfront at Liberty Square and Frontierland; the river is integral to the design of those areas. But they can obviously make changes to the remaining areas to fix that, if they wanted to.
Exactly. TSI isn't really a major loss. The rest of the river isn't really a major loss (except for the actual trip on the boat). But the atmosphere/ambiance of the riverfront is what's being lost.

Grantwil93

Apparently the issue with this is the water needs to be connected to the canal around BTMRR.

I’d be all for it if it were feasible
Yeah, Because the ROA at WDW is essentially a wild river attached to the lagoon that they have a dam(the lock)to drain it. As far as i understand it, if you cut it off from the lagoon, it's a stagnant pond with no significant enough infrastructure to filter it, treat it, move the water, etc. And a stagnant pond in the south is a non starter.

Probably why Bill on Twitter said this
Screenshot_20240814_142916_X.jpg

Last edited:

Grantwil93

Don't get your hopes too high, they announced electric vehicles for Autopia (DL), so they aren't going to do that and then replace it completely right after.
True, I think autopia is safe. Both lands need different things, but both need a lot of work. But I don't think Disney will touch either till these things are done.

Most I can see at WDW in the short term is turning stich into a more formel meet/greet like Fairytale Hall or something.

el_super

I would argue they identified a reason they believed makes MK the most visited of the parks, but the failure of all the investment to lure people away means they didn’t correctly identify the real reason guests choose it over the others, despite some highly rated attraction additions based on Disney IP.

Failure isn't the right word. I think they all know what the problem is, there just isn't an easy answer to fix it. The quintessential Disney Parks® Experience was something set in stone, some 15 years before MK was built. History and nostalgia was dictating what the park would be like, and how it would be received before it was even open. Aside from building a time machine, I'm not sure there IS a way to change that. So they stick with the things they think they CAN change.

These plans, IMO, indicate an intent to Hunger Games the MK, which is in full display at DHS. I have ideas on what impact this will have on MK attendance, and I’m sure you and others will disagree.

Yeah I don't think things will really change. Even if it's the most expensive park in the world, the most complicated to get reservations for, has the most blockout dates and even looks tired and worn around the edges, no one is ever going to Walt Disney World without going to MK.

Which of course is a good reason for building up usable capacity there.

I'd add, I actually think Disneyland's ROA may be at it's best in history, currently, despite the shortening. I really think that redone area to hide Galaxy's Edge, that the rail runs across, is stunning. Cascade Peak who?

I know it's all pretty subjective, and the river is still pretty good today, but it was a different experience before. There is a picture (I think in the Nickel Tour?) of how much the trees had grown up around the river after 45 years, and standing at the edge of Hungry Bear, you could see the trees on the banks TOWERING over the Mark Twain. They had grown up to 50-60 feet tall, and the backside of the river was like being in a completely different world. The wilderness reformed in the middle of Anaheim. Once the trees started getting too big and started crashing down onto the river, they had to remove most of them and prevented the new trees from getting too tall. It's never going to be as wild as it was back then.

DCLcruiser

The Disney fan crowd may visit 2 days, but the normies that are skipping the rest of WDW, are buying 1-day tickets, and only visiting one day.

When we first started visiting WDW, Epcot was always stated to be a 2-day park. Hardly anyone ever says that anymore. It changed as prices went up, entertainment was eliminated, and changes that were intended to make it more appealing, didn’t work. The same can happen to MK.
All of the parks are 1 day. Unless you really need to waste LL on Meet & Greets.

This is not a bad thing. I can do Universal and Islands of Adventure together in 1 day. So, WDW is at least a 4 day trip.

hopemax

no one is ever going to Walt Disney World without going to MK.
Just flew right over your head there, didn't it?

I'm not disagreeing with this statement, but there is another possible outcome. Especially, for the group that is already only buying a single 1-day MK ticket as their WDW experience.

rle4lunch

All of the parks are 1 day. Unless you really need to waste LL on Meet & Greets.

This is not a bad thing. I can do Universal and Islands of Adventure together in 1 day. So, WDW is at least a 4 day trip.
Yep, we usually will do 5 just in case we need a "pick-up" day for the rides that were down or we missed LL on the first day.

Dizknee_Phreek

The biggest deterrent we find is not a lack of interest, but a lack of time. It takes so much time and energy to do the top 5 things, something else doesn’t make the cut.

A Cars attraction isn’t going to magically give people more time in their day to experience it. It’s going to present people with harder decisions of what to eliminate from their schedule. And then that thing will be on the chopping block, regardless of its quality. And eventually the MK problem of “there are too many attractions” to operate and staff, compared to the other parks, goes away.

Disney’s answer isn’t make DHS more like the MK, enough variety, capacity and options to go around, which is what guests want. It’s make MK more like DHS. Whittle that attraction count down, people homogenize their attraction selections (we’ve seen this with all the FP, LL options and the guides to maximize your choices, don’t waste them!) , more pinch points, more money / time commitments to experience.
100% this. TSI and the riverboat were every bit as repeatable as any other attraction in WDW. Maybe not everyone viewed it as a must do every visit, but that doesn't mean no one did or that the attractions had no value outside of a one time visit. I feel like this is a result of FP/LL and, as you said, timing. MK has the most to do out of any park, but only so much time to do it. I don't know all the in's and out's of the problems vs solutions with all of this. But to say these attractions weren't repeatable or that there was nothing to do on TSI isn't based on facts.

After reading through this 162-page thread, I've started to reach the acceptance stage, where I begin to think about how in a perfect world they can make this work (note I said perfect world):

Frontierland becomes a logging/mining town, I'm thinking something aesthetically similar to Red Dead Redemption 2's town of Strawberry. There will have to be running water with new buildings across from the current strip, with mills and water wheels that actually turn, along with a large number of props. I don't know how they'll deal with the transition to Tiana's, but if that ride system continues to have issues perhaps it won't last more than a decade (we can dream anyway).

Liberty Square will have to be enclosed, with buildings on the current water line abutting a small running stream, akin to small towns in Vermont or New Hampshire. These new buildings could actually be copies of the buildings in the Cape Cod section of Tokyo DisneySea (I know they are waterfront buildings, but colonial New England buildings are nondescript enough to exist both on the coast and inland). The new mountain can rise behind them the same way Mount Prometheus rises above them in Tokyo.

A big question of mine is the parade route. For this new Frontierland to work the path needs to be narrower and filled with props/scenery/etc. Does the parade route take that new path in front of the Haunted Mansion and then turn south by Big Thunder and then in front of Tiana's to the current parade storage building? Can the floats handle inclines or do they need a flat route? With the difference in elevation between the river bottom and the existing pathways, they can build walkways on the old river bottom that go under a new parade route, finally allowing circulation in the western half of the park during parades.

Is the canal where they keep the Electrical Water Pageant floats large enough for the resort launches to travel in? The little bit of the river remaining near Big Thunder could allow for a new dock for the Poly and Grand Floridian. Hell, they can even leave the EWP floats lit up for everyone to see as they go by.

DarkMetroid567

Yeah, the “_-day” thing is hard to gauge.

I can usually finish any theme park I want to in half a day. It is my firm belief that the only true 1-day parks in the world (that I’ve visited) are Disneyland, Tokyo Disneyland, and Europa-Park.

EPCOTCenterLover

I’m guessing the riverboat will end up parked near Tiana - maybe just a set piece, maybe a themed bar, maybe a little stage for Tiana and Louis to wave during up charge nights? Haha
It will become another overpriced restaurant with hard to get reservations- but it will be marketed to old time fans of THEME parks who like what used to be. Someone like me. ;)

Kamikaze

After reading through this 162-page thread, I've started to reach the acceptance stage, where I begin to think about how in a perfect world they can make this work (note I said perfect world):

Frontierland becomes a logging/mining town, I'm thinking something aesthetically similar to Red Dead Redemption 2's town of Strawberry. There will have to be running water with new buildings across from the current strip, with mills and water wheels that actually turn, along with a large number of props. I don't know how they'll deal with the transition to Tiana's, but if that ride system continues to have issues perhaps it won't last more than a decade (we can dream anyway).
Probably not.
Liberty Square will have to be enclosed, with buildings on the current water line abutting a small running stream, akin to small towns in Vermont or New Hampshire. These new buildings could actually be copies of the buildings in the Cape Cod section of Tokyo DisneySea (I know they are waterfront buildings, but colonial New England buildings are nondescript enough to exist both on the coast and inland). The new mountain can rise behind them the same way Mount Prometheus rises above them in Tokyo.
Probably not.
A big question of mine is the parade route. For this new Frontierland to work the path needs to be narrower and filled with props/scenery/etc. Does the parade route take that new path in front of the Haunted Mansion and then turn south by Big Thunder and then in front of Tiana's to the current parade storage building? Can the floats handle inclines or do they need a flat route? With the difference in elevation between the river bottom and the existing pathways, they can build walkways on the old river bottom that go under a new parade route, finally allowing circulation in the western half of the park during parades.
They won't change the parade route. Part of the reason this is going where it is is because they would need to remove all the infrastructure backstage (part of which is the parade storage) if they built out the other way.
Is the canal where they keep the Electrical Water Pageant floats large enough for the resort launches to travel in? The little bit of the river remaining near Big Thunder could allow for a new dock for the Poly and Grand Floridian. Hell, they can even leave the EWP floats lit up for everyone to see as they go by.
Guests will not be traveling on the canal.

Grantwil93

Yeah, the “_-day” thing is hard to gauge.

I can usually finish any theme park I want to in half a day. It is my firm belief that the only true 1-day parks in the world (that I’ve visited) are Disneyland, Tokyo Disneyland, and Europa-Park.
Epcot with rope drop is more of a half day park for me than DAK if I factor in shows and walking trails. Showcase walk only take like 90 minutes if I'm really slowly doing stores.

Nothing takes all day in Orlando unless you truly are doing every single thing possible and you are bad at planning. Even MK

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom