News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

FettFan

Putting Monstropolis in Muppets Courtyard is the current path. That can change, but it's pretty late in the process. My guess is there's about a week to come up with a viable alternative and explain why taking a month to re-do the paperwork is worth, you know, cutting $5M in Lightning Lane revenue right off the top of the financials.

i don’t suppose they would be up for converting Starcruiser into office space and using the former Animation building as a gateway into Monstropolis, eh?

And would it not be possible to move Lightning McQueen’s racing academy to the new Cars Land just for thematic congruity?
It’s a cute little show, but every time I’ve seen it it’s been mostly empty…maybe 40-50 people. I’ve always figured it was it’s a. too hidden behind RNRC, and b. housed inside a rather nondescript building.

hopemax

Death waits for no one. I don't expect we'll see any of the Big Dogs (Pirates, Mansion, Small World, Big Thunder) get got, but I feel anything else is a valid target currently, especially since what I'm picking up is that either Adventureland or Tomorrowland is up next.
Outside of those, I didn't know what would qualify as "beloved." The one I think has the strongest universal attachment is the WDW Railroad. If they have metrics that finally reopening didn't change any key metrics, so they can safely eliminate the operations without meaningful blowback, and all this impending construction... The next tier of beloveds, I'd put Jungle Cruise, Peoplemover, Tiki Room and Carousel of Progress. JC had it's rehab and seems to do well with LL, size of Tiki makes it hard to increase numbers meaningfully and justify the change. Peoplemover, has to operationally be annoying, with the speedramp and track. And the Carousel has been discussed so many times I think even hardcore fans are like, "Just let it die and end it's suffering, if you are going to mistreat it so badly." Anything else, is like, "when you've already had your arm cut off, what does it matter to lose a finger?" Treehouse? MS Vehicles? Astro Orbiter? Already lost the will to resist.

Architectural Guinea Pig

In the Parks
No
And would it not be possible to move Lightning McQueen’s racing academy to the new Cars Land just for thematic congruity?
It’s a cute little show, but every time I’ve seen it it’s been mostly empty…maybe 40-50 people. I’ve always figured it was it’s a. too hidden behind RNRC, and b. housed inside a rather nondescript building.
It will still be empty if they move it there. Would be better to just move the animatronic into a pre-show room.

Sir_Cliff

It's also incongruent with the rest of Frontierland, which people have convinced themselves means rocks and trees, so it all fits, even if they're shaped like car parts and traversed by anthropomorphic cars.
This is what I keep coming back to when people talk about this being a beautiful area themed to nature. It's not really, it's themed to a world in which cars with big eyes and cartoon smiles are the only living creatures and natural formations take on the shape of car parts. That's what they're putting down in the middle of what is now Frontierland and Liberty Square, not Grizzly Peak.

At any rate, this really just has me feeling that maybe the Disney parks are just big, tacky tourist traps as their critics always argued. In the past, there seemed to be enough idiosyncrasy, ambition, and creativity to make them interesting (at least to me) in how, for example, the Magic Kingdom mapped out a very American mythology and view of the world as filtered through the mind of Walt Disney or with EPCOT Center they attempted to create a World's Fair-style vision of optimism driven by technology and innovation. Even the evocation of different times and places in the resorts was at least fun. Once they start replacing the legacy lands of Magic Kingdom with lands based on films that currently make them a lot of revenue in merchandise sales, that version of the parks seems even further in the past than it was. That's also true at the resorts where you're now going to bed looking at Moana or The Incredibles.

That said, I'm not really a 'theme park guy' as much as I was in to Disney parks. For me, most of what gets built these days with single IP lands doesn't excite me as it seems to excite a lot of people, whether it's at Disney or Universal, because I generally don't care enough about any of the IPs to want to drop a ton of money or spend a lot of time wandering through three dimensional recreations of them. But, I guess I am not the market for the parks as they are now and probably not for the older parks as they begin to be remade along this model.

Last edited:

nicb88

This is what I keep coming back to when people talk about this being a beautiful area themed to nature. It's not really, it's themed to a world in which cars with big eyes and cartoon smiles are the only living creatures and natural formations take on the shape of car parts. That's what they're putting down in the middle of what is now Frontierland and Liberty Square, not Grizzly Peak.

At any rate, this really just has me feeling that maybe the Disney parks are just big, tacky tourist traps as their critics always argued. In the past, there seemed to be enough idiosyncrasy, ambition, and creativity to make them interesting (at least to me) in how, for example, the Magic Kingdom mapped out a very American mythology and view of the world as filtered through the mind of Walt Disney or with EPCOT Center they attempted to create a World's Fair-style vision of optimism driven by technology and innovation. Even the evocation of different times and places in the resorts was at least fun. Once they start replacing the legacy lands of Magic Kingdom with lands based on films that currently make them a lot of revenue in merchandise sales, that version of the parks seems even further in the past than it was. That's also true at the resorts where you're now going to bed looking at Moana or The Incredibles.

That said, I'm not really a 'theme park guy' as much as I was in to Disney parks. For me, most of what gets build these days with single IP lands doesn't excite me as it seems to excite a lot of people, whether it's at Disney or Universal, because I generally don't care enough about any of the IPs to want to drop a ton of money or spend a lot of time wandering through three dimensional recreations of them. But, I guess I am not the market for the parks as they are now and probably not for the older parks as they begin to be remade along this model.
So well put, this is exactly how I feel and was struggling to articulate.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
We all hope The Liberty Square Reiverboat will not be destroyed, but this is Disney, so....
Riverboat.....................................................................................................Reiverboat
1723667387905.jpeg
1723667467899.jpeg

lentesta

Premium Member
i don’t suppose they would be up for converting Starcruiser into office space and using the former Animation building as a gateway into Monstropolis, eh?

I texted someone inside the company on Sunday with "Now that the Galaxy's Edge timeline is broken, can we get a Darth Vader character breakfast?"

They texted back a compliment on how smartly I was dressed.

*cough* @wdwmagic *cough*

mattpeto

Tha Realest

Muppets probably makes more money though. But that’s another debate in another thread! Haha
Disney likely makes more off of Simpsons merchandise sales at Universal - where they have multiple storefronts dedicated to The Simpsons - than they do in Disney parks.

Where is the dedicated Muppets store in the Disney parks located?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom