News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

docnabox

There isn't a great IP that makes sense in the area without doing a lot of other stuff. As a company, they decided to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
So they took the easy way out? Is that what you are saying? I am one of those that doesn’t feel that EVERYTHING at the parks has to be based on an IP. but to have come up with a better fit that made sense, they would have had to show some creative spark and put some effort forth. The two birds that are killed with one stone here are that it is based on an IP that will save effort ( not to mention while not a clone of RSR, the concept is the same but with a different backdrop) and it will sell merchandise. The whole “Tom Sawyer is a problem“ thing is just an axcuse to replace with more profitable concepts.

Chef idea Mickey`=

It might, we don't really know and that's kind of my problem with most of what was announced. We just don't know a lot of anything. Now with the river boat, that's a iconic part of the magic Kingdoms visual language. Seeing the boat, hearing the horn, that's classic Disney for a lot of people. Myself included. I might not ride it very often, but when I hear and see it, I'm at the magic kingdom. The monorail does the same thing for me. It might sound dumb, but I'm sure I'm not alone. Could what's coming do as good a job and accomplish the same thing? Absolutely. I just don't trust this group of misfits making these decisions.
The riverboat is too classic. As much as I love Cars what they are doing there looks like a project fit for Disney's California Adventure Park retheming and replacing Grizzly's Peak. If they'd done that it wouldn't of taken anything as classic as the Riverboat. We waited so long for a Cars Land. They refuse to bring it to Hollywood Studios for a long time even though the Land is so popular and beautiful and instead accept having the same Galaxy's Edge on both coasts. Now because of Epic Universe they are pitching it by removing something from our least Disneylandesque park and bringing Cars as riding on muddy roads. No charm of the original characters at the same time no charm of Magic Kingdom classic TSI and ROA.

Dr.GrantSeeker

No, but this change turns the Magic Kingdom into a Universal park. Good riddance to this company. This boulder will tumbler further and further and will ultimately destroy aspects of these parks that are beloved by those here who are defending this atrocious decision.
It’s so strange because Disney is literally destroying what made it special and replacing it with “Disney” that isn’t timeless. All of these expansions, replacements, are years away and already decade old properties. I’m not defending the age of TSI and LB for being old properties but they are timeless. But how well does this new Frontierland look in 50 years? This cars adition won’t even age well beyond 20 years and at that point the franchise will be what, damn near 40? It certainly won’t look as good as the Frontierland that still stands today. TSI, RoA and LB all aged so well and created spaces that other theme parks would never have dreamt of building in the first place. Removing a space such as RoA for something like cars, to your original point, makes it more like any other theme park. It’s no longer special.

MerlinTheGoat

The utilidors probably are dependent on some of them so i dont think they can be removed.
The utilidors may not be affected by this project at all. They pass underneath the LS/Frontierland buildings, not the RoA or walkway connecting to it.

Utilidor-web-jpeg-scaled.jpg

DarkMetroid567

Sincerely, why?
It’s a land that I think attempts to complement Main Street and Frontier without doing either. The tributes to America are cute but the Philly set pieces are boring and most of the land is completely overlooked by guests. Harbor House and Liberty Tree both suck. The thing that LS is most famous for, besides the attractions, is the apocryphal “poop” sidewalk.

It’s clear that LS only exists because the MK team wanted to emulate New Orleans Square but didn’t get why New Orleans Square actually worked. Instead, they kinda just kneecapped Frontierland.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before. The concept art shows part of the existing boardwalk in front of the diamond horseshoe. I wonder if there will be a stream of water going all the way to TBA with the entire boardwalk still there. That would be useful when the parade is going. They could have some waterfalls coming down from the new mountain, which could look nice. If there is no water then they could build a new row of Frontierland buildings / facades on the right side against the new mountain.

Untitled-4.jpg

This forum has blow up fast in the last few hours. I don’t like to post much, but I do have insight on land use management in the state of Florida. It is far easier for Disney to use land inside the burm than opposed to getting new land use permits. In Magic Kingdoms specific case it’s even harder because of its location to free moving water ways that lead to the Everglades. They have to prove in the new land use permits it’s not going to have major issues down stream.

brettf22

Premium Member
It doesn't need to get physically larger. More acreage. Not "it never needs new things."
There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and plans we could possibly imagine… but we really don’t need it for Magic Kingdom. We can squeeze all our ideas and plans in there just fine. If we get a new idea, I guess something’s just gotta go!

eddie104

Coco seems to be the furthest out from starting, for sure. That seems like the one piece of the presentation that could have been dropped.
Is Coco still being considered for the MK ?
Spare me. There is water all around the hub. There are 2 outdoor water rides. The rendering (again I know, it's just a rendering) has a waterfall. And there is a giant lagoon right in front of the park entrance. Nostalgia for lost attractions is one thing. To complain that MK will not have enough water features now is dumb.
Don’t shoot the messenger as I wasn’t one of the ones complaining about this project.

I never stated MK didn’t have enough water features at all.

it’s even harder because of its location to free moving water ways that lead to the Everglades.
A lot of people forget the a good portion of land Disney owns in Florida is wetlands or swamps which requires heavy investment and mitigation to make it suitable for building.

KDM31091

I would assume they still have to leave the river/stream along the edge of the park here (sloppily highlighted) that leads to seven seas lagoon. This is where Electrical Water Pageant floats are stored (then again, that's another "dated", classic thing that could easily be taken away). Or not? Wonder where they will dam and fill in the river. Maybe still some glimpses of water from the Railroad. Who knows.
Screenshot 2024-08-12 195722.png

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This is interesting. The is the proposed conditions map that was used to design the new storm water control improvements. The "D" color is designated as "impervious" land. Water is marked in blue, and it's interesting to note that the entire river is gone except the one small part. I thought this might be because the river has a concrete bottom, but the second picture shows it as water not impervious.

1723506826000.png

1723507238133.png

Advisable Joseph

This is interesting. The is the proposed conditions map that was used to design the new storm water control improvements. The "D" color is designated as "impervious" land. Water is marked in blue, and it's interesting to note that the entire river is gone except the one small part. I thought this might be because the river has a concrete bottom, but the second picture shows it as water not impervious.

View attachment 808904

View attachment 808906
Do you have the filename?

EeyoreFan#24

View attachment 808904

View attachment 808906

It also omits all interior water, JC and all castle moats. I wonder if that’s because there connected to the ROA system? (I think)

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and plans we could possibly imagine… but we really don’t need it for Magic Kingdom. We can squeeze all our ideas and plans in there just fine. If we get a new idea, I guess something’s just gotta go!
There are just real, actual operational considerations. A theme park that takes 3 days to see is dumb. Nobody needs or wants that.

Quietmouse

genuine question, why is there such a distaste for attractions associated with ips?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t Disney land in part originally built by Walt Disney to promote his work in animation and promote then via attractions in a theme park ??

I understand there were a lot of original attractions as well ( but obviously some were also based off popular novel - book based - ips), but couldn’t one argue that Disney at the same time in the 50s didn’t have as huge of a catalogue film wise to make every single ride a movie based attraction?

I guess my point being is, there seems to be a lot of tug and war between rides being connected to ips. 20k leagues under the sea, journey to the center of the earth, these are some super beloved attractions but they are also based off ips.

So is it more about not like what Disney as a whole is producing animation wise lately and that’s why we hate when they are connected to ips?

Because y’all don’t seem to throw a fit about 20k leagues or journey to the center of the earth ?

SoFloMagic

I think he’s right. As I said in my other post, this is a company now ashamed of its American roots. Today it’s Frontierland, tomorrow it’s Liberty Square and don’t be surprised if one day its Main Street USA being converted into a version of Shanghai’s ‘Mickey Ave’.

We don’t know much about what Walt would have done (so I tend to avoid that), but it’s well documented that Walt was a patriot. I think he’d be ashamed to see his company run like this.
Or... It's an island that gets 400 visitors a day being replaced by two rides that will be experienced by 15,000 a day.

But you know, stir the culture wars pot instead if ya want

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom