News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

wdwgreek

I am very curious about this. If they are able to make a buffer or berm between liberty square and this new frontier wilderness feeling, it could be interesting thematically. I'm think great northwest/ rocky mountain wilderness.

UNCgolf

Nobody applies logic on this site it’s always overly emotional on any changes Disney makes.

I agree with this, but it's that way on both sides, which is what makes it almost unbearable. There are people who vilify literally everything and people who praise literally everything. More importantly, both types of people completely dismiss any different opinions. It's nostalgia, or politics, or whatever reason someone can come up with to ignore what the person is saying rather than have to actually engage with it.

There's very little nuance or room for logical discussion.

Last edited:

EPCOTCenterLover

I agree Rivers of America is beautiful place-setting.

The Liberty Belle Riverboat, Tom Sawyer Island, and Hall of Presidents generate exactly $0 in Lightning Lane revenue.

I'm not saying that should be the primary factor in these decisions. But it's a top consideration for the company, and one that drives decisions about what to build. (Whether it should be is more of a discussion about what flavor of capitalism you prefer. And to paraphrase myself from earlier today, this afternoon isn't the time for me to get banned from this forum.)

ETA: I really, sincerely thank you all for putting up with me while I test lines for the next podcast. Thank you.
Can you explain why you would get banned? I don't understand.

Quietmouse

The Iger Company continues to think the average guest is a drooling moron who will happily lap up whatever they toss out.

dont-ask-questions-just-consume-product.gif

And that’s why we’ve seen such stunning failures for Disney parks.

So wrong.

When you are spending serious money on a trip to Disney world you want value attached to your experience and do your research before booking such an expensive trip.- regardless if your a hardcore fan or someone who rarely ever visits Disney world.

The kids that go, are the main drivers of why parents go in the first place. The kids want to see Anna, the kids want to ride their favorite ip ride. Disney has a formula that works.

billy023

I never understood the Speedway in Tomorrowland. It was tucked away enough where I could ignore what I thought was misplacement. There’s no way to ignore Cars (with cartoon faces) in Frontierland. It’s so odd, and I can’t think of how even re-naming this land will really work in a real way.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt with the Epcot re-do and their vision for the new sections and in turn their naming. How that turned out, I truly don’t trust that this land re-do will land right.

The artists are being subverted by “spreadsheeters”. The grand spectacle that were each of the parks are being broken down into circus tent shows - the antithesis of what Walt set out for. I felt the spread of this approach was contained to things like Beauty and the Beast being shoe-horned into Grand Floridian or Ratatouille gently folding into France. Things that might interrupt my sensibilities but the whole staying cohesive enough.

But this expansion feels like the walls of un-visioning have finally broke into Magic Kingdom - a continuation of the horrendous new sight lines of the Polynesian tower, the absurdity of the grey box of the Riviera, Incredibles floating through Contemporary.

When we combine the ignorance of aesthetic and place with the gaul of raising prices so high and insulting add ons, well they’re really losing their grip on both fantasy and reality.

They should be listening to core fans. Their intensity of view on these things are what the “common” visitor cannot articulate themselves but are paying for when they visit. When you lose your core, it’s a race to the lowest common denominator. “Core” demographics and growth demographics might not align, however there is an artists’ way to lead that overlap and its up to the business side to follow. Right now, it’s reverse.

SteamboatJoe

I agree with this, but it's that way on both sides, which is what makes it almost unbearable. There are people who vilify literally everything and people who praise literally everything.

There's very little nuance or room for logical discussion.
The incredibly aggravating thing is much of what the company does with the parks isn't bad conceptually, it just gets implemented poorly or in the wrong locations.

Kamikaze

They are for at least a year and then it will go into “rotation” whatever that meabs
Supposedly its going to do something like 5 months Walt, 5 months Abe. They don't want to lock it to the same time of year so they want to be a lopsided schedule (not 6/6 or 3/3/3/3)

I don't really like the idea of a Walt AA, especially in a building he occupied in real life. But I will see the show.

fgmnt

I think I've iterated through the reasons upthread. Didn't want to fill everyone's feed repeating it.
In lieu of calling them problematic, you can just state the business reality that the company does not think they can tell amy more good stories about turn of the 20th century-or-earlier Americana. With WRE having never been built, you can argue the company saw the writing on the wall since Bush 41 was president!

No one is lining up to rope drop a ride with an Armie Hammer Lone Ranger animatronic or bidding up on ebay for a popcorn bucket of Roseanne Barr as a talking cow. You have a pair of incredible original attractions that drive attendance to the park in the land already.

Kamikaze

Nobody applies logic on this site it’s always overly emotional on any changes Disney makes.

I always try to be understanding but then the same posters turn the discussion into a politics thread which I’m not here for.

This is not Fox News or CNN but a theme park fan site. I shouldn’t be seeing words like woke or DEI used as justifications to attack a company.
This is how every fandom operates.

Wall-e

I always try to be understanding but then the same posters turn the discussion into a politics thread which I’m not here for.

This is not Fox News or CNN but a theme park fan site. I shouldn’t be seeing words like woke or DEI used as justifications to attack a company.
I gave it the 24 hour rule before posting on here and like I said earlier…I wasn’t initially on board but my 11yo son was BEYOND excited and engaged in the conversation of what comes next (with construction, etc) to the point that it caused him to be emotionally invested in this in a positive way. We’ve been fortunate enough that he has been to MK at least 5 times now and his eyes see this as advancement and something his generation will enjoy for years to come with his kids.

aladdin2007

I never understood the Speedway in Tomorrowland. It was tucked away enough where I could ignore what I thought was misplacement. There’s no way to ignore Cars (with cartoon faces) in Frontierland. It’s so odd, and I can’t think of how even re-naming this land will really work in a real way.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt with the Epcot re-do and their vision for the new sections and in turn their naming. How that turned out, I truly don’t trust that this land re-do will land right.

The artists are being subverted by “spreadsheeters”. The grand spectacle that were each of the parks are being broken down into circus tent shows - the antithesis of what Walt set out for. I felt the spread of this approach was contained to things like Beauty and the Beast being shoe-horned into Grand Floridian or Ratatouille gently folding into France. Things that might interrupt my sensibilities but the whole staying cohesive enough.

But this expansion feels like the walls of un-visioning have finally broke into Magic Kingdom - a continuation of the horrendous new sight lines of the Polynesian tower, the absurdity of the grey box of the Riviera, Incredibles floating through Contemporary.

When we combine the ignorance of aesthetic and place with the gaul of raising prices so high and insulting add ons, well they’re really losing their grip on both fantasy and reality.

They should be listening to core fans. Their intensity of view on these things are what the “common” visitor cannot articulate themselves but are paying for when they visit. When you lose your core, it’s a race to the lowest common denominator. “Core” demographics and growth demographics might not align, however there is an artists’ way to lead that overlap and its up to the business side to follow. Right now, it’s reverse.
agreed but they truly do not want core fans (they are more respected at Disneyland), here they want the clueless tourist who will spend spend spend. And anything with too much Americana now they are afraid it's offending....sad but true.

doctornick

It wasn’t even on my radar, but this legitimately may be my breaking point.

It’s not that they don’t care about classic attractions or originality, this is just heinous.

Honestly, that's kind of what I feel.

After the weekend, I was already braced for TSI to be removed and the RoA to be diminished. I made my peace with it even though I didn't agree. But in my wildest nightmares I would not have expected they to do the plan they came up with because I figured it was exceedingly obvious that they needed to keep a waterfront next to Liberty Sq and the area in front of the CBJ. I mean, shorter river? docked riverboat? bridges to what is currently TSI (even if it was no longer TSI)? Fort gone? Literally I was all set for all of that, though I hoped they'd keep a smaller river and riverboat traffic and the lower TSI with perhaps a different name. I was prepared for stuff I didn't like.

But this is just so much worse than I thought they'd even consider. I just don't even understand how they wouldn't keep the riverside next to areas specifically themed to be next to water. It's not even about guest areas or attraction attendance or anything like that. I'm talking a bout where there is freaking water now and there won't be in the future. Because it's idiotic to mess this up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom