News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Sir_Cliff

Would you not call Radiator Spring beautiful? They are all designed to look like the back end of cars.
I mentioned this earlier in the thread and may be in the minority here, but I find that land appealing more in spite of all the references to cars than because of them. I would actually find it more visually appealing if it was a romantic recreation of Route 66 with the same architecture, neon lighting, and landscape without shoe-horning in car parts to everything.

eddie104

Combine this with losing Splash and it’s damn near. Not to mention the idiotic woke decisions to change jungle cruise and get rid of the red head scene. Fans have reached a boiling point. I get it. Thank god I stopped going 6 years ago. Saved a lot of money.
I’m sure the average guest is not paying attention to any of those Jungle Cruise changes.

Splash Mountain I will definitely agree with you on as that could have been saved.

STITCHGEFAN

People are more than entitled to be upset about TSI and ROA, but the harsh reality is that too many people do not care about them. I'm in a social circle of WDW goers who are by no means traditionalists or fanatics, and they are all apathetic about it. If they represent the largest customer base... it's no surprise.

Personally, I'm sad to see ROA go. The sights and sounds of the Mark Twains are among the first things that come to mind when I think of MK. Retaining that ambience will be impossible. At the same time, I have no appetite to ride it again, even after this announcement. I'll certainly spend more time on that land once the change has been made, even though I'm impartial about its replacement too.

But if they can find a way to retain some form of ambience and charm, I think I'm OK with it.

Quietmouse

Way too many of y’all want magic kingdom to stay a museum.

Let the imagineers cook. It could turn out bad or it could turn out really good, but there is way too much serious attachment over certain sections of the theme park.

Walt Disney never built the theme park in hopes that everything would remain the same and be preserved for 100 plus years.

He equally wanted Disney land to show case his own ips, but also to create a park that would continue to build off imagination.

lentesta

Premium Member
The root issue isn’t replacement. It’s a complete ignoring of context. This project is not actually responding the fundamental design and organization of Liberty Square and Frontierland. It’s a McMansion being plopped into an old neighborhood.

To paraphrase Harold Ramis in Stripes: they're not ignoring it, they're abandoning it.

There's no clear path forward with new attractions based on the original concepts of Frontierland and Liberty Square. They're problematic eras in American history.

Beyond that, the current attractions are not popular, generate no Lightning Lane or merchandise revenue, and provide relatively litle useful capacity.

Given the mandate to put IP everywhere and drive LL revenue, the creative and business cases seem like they're pretty clear.

Scuttle

Way too many of y’all want magic kingdom to stay a museum.

Let the imagineers cook. It could turn out bad or it could turn out really good, but there is way too much serious attachment over certain sections of the theme park.

Walt Disney never built the theme park in hopes that everything would remain the same and be preserved for 100 plus years.

He equally wanted Disney land to show case his own ips, but also to create a park that would continue to build off imagination.
If they actually had talent left at WDI we’d actually probably be okay with it for the most part. We all know WDI is a joke now.

TrainsOfDisney

I’m very curious about the why behind this decision. Like I can see chopping off the island like they did in California and have the riverboat just go in a small circle but this really doesn’t make sense to me.

In fact…. If they had done that - they could retheme the country bear side “critter bayou” and then big thunder into cars could be the “new Frontierland” - that would make sense.

I would love to be a fly on the wall and see how these proposals became this.

To paraphrase Harold Ramis in Stripes: they're not ignoring it, they're abandoning it.

There's no clear path forward with new attractions based on the original concepts of Frontierland and Liberty Square. They're problematic eras in American history.

Beyond that, the current attractions are not popular, generate no Lightning Lane or merchandise revenue, and provide relatively litle useful capacity.

Given the mandate to put IP everywhere and drive LL revenue, the creative and business cases seem like they're pretty clear.
PROBLEMATIC

UNCgolf

The Iger Company continues to think the average guest is a drooling moron who will happily lap up whatever they toss out.

dont-ask-questions-just-consume-product.gif

And that’s why we’ve seen such stunning failures for Disney parks.

I have to be honest, that GIF made me chuckle when you juxtapose what he's saying with the fact he's sitting surrounded by hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of product.

Quietmouse

If they actually had talent left at WDI we’d actually probably be okay with it for the most part. We all know WDI is a joke now.

Idk, avatar land in animal kingdom is quite beautiful from a theming perspective.

It definitely more so revolves around the budget and what it allows. If Disney is truly allocating as much as they say they are then it could be extremely well done.

UNCgolf

I mentioned this earlier in the thread and may be in the minority here, but I find that land appealing more in spite of all the references to cars than because of them. I would actually find it more visually appealing if it was a romantic recreation of Route 66 with the same architecture, neon lighting, and landscape without shoe-horning in car parts to everything.

I've always thought a Route 66 themed area of DHS could be great. That kind of architecture, lighting, etc. leading in to that same era of Los Angeles/Hollywood.

Obviously that version of DHS is dead, though.

SteamboatJoe

Aside from nostalgia warriors....
This is somewhat dismissive considering a big part of the appeal of the original Disneyland was the nostalgic look back it offered to parents and grandparents of that era. Maybe thats an argument for why some of these things should be replaced as time does march on, but the appeal of nostalgia should not be completely ignored (nor, similarly, overdone).

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom