News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

doctornick

I wish WDW would get a similar treatment- replacing Tom Sawyer with a new theme while keeping the island in tact. I don't care for Tom Sawyer either, as I'm sure most people nowadays agree with, but the island serves a great purpose to the parks.

Yeah, it would be simple to keep the island generally intact but changing the theme and name. there's nothing sacrosanct about it being "Tom Sawyer" if that is what the issue is.

el_super

The crowds at DL and WDW are completely different. And, no, I don't think that people at DL are "enjoying" RoA/TSI more than at MK - the island there is just as sparse when I have visited it.

The island at Disneyland got a complete re-theme 15 years ago. Certainly there were problems there.

It's been 8 years since they shortened the river too. Let's not pretend it's safe either.

pwnbeaver

Anyone who thinks we are losing a massive source of theme park beauty needs to go to Disneysea to see what actually beautiful theme park water features look like.

The concept art, if executed, is significantly more beautiful than what was there before. The rides are a net positive and add capacity that will actually be used, leading to lower wait times around the park (except as Cars, which will be the most popular attraction in WDW). This also starts to differentiate Magic Kingdom, which feels pathetically weak compared to Disneyland and TDR if you've been to them. Shanghai actually feels different as a castle park, I would like Magic Kingdom to as well.

I do think that losing water is not a good idea, but the concept art for Villains is adding some and they seem to be keeping a bit near BTMR. I would bet on the Piston Peak facade containing a handful of moving water features that bring a similar feel with more flow and motion.

This is completely different to losing Star Tours/Muppets, which would just make DHS even weaker. This, an announced and shown, makes Magic Kingdom better. This plus Villains makes Magic Kingdom truly great. A redo of Tomorrowland is the next step.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Anyone who thinks we are losing a massive source of theme park beauty needs to go to Disneysea to see what actually beautiful theme park water features look like.

The concept art, if executed, is significantly more beautiful than what was there before. The rides are a net positive and add capacity that will actually be used, leading to lower wait times around the park (except as Cars, which will be the most popular attraction in WDW). This also starts to differentiate Magic Kingdom, which feels pathetically weak compared to Disneyland and TDR if you've been to them. Shanghai actually feels different as a castle park, I would like Magic Kingdom to as well.

I do think that losing water is not a good idea, but the concept art for Villains is adding some and they seem to be keeping a bit near BTMR. I would bet on the Piston Peak facade containing a handful of moving water features that bring a similar feel with more flow and motion.

This is completely different to losing Star Tours/Muppets, which would just make DHS even weaker. This, an announced and shown, makes Magic Kingdom better. This plus Villains makes Magic Kingdom truly great. A redo of Tomorrowland is the next step.
give us an example of concept art of something they announced at WDW turned out like that

duncedoof

Ah. Everyone who thinks water in Florida looks beautiful should instead check out Water, Japan.

Got it.

doctornick

Well, an insider posted earlier(don't remember who)that after cars and villains the rest of the land bbt is slated for another expansion. If that's the case and they are thinking long term then they did need to do this.

TBF, I think it was more along the line that the additional land "could" be used for future expansion and is still available, not that there were explicit plans to do so now or in the short term.

Midlife Mouse

I have a feeling that's just a little lagoon to help the edges of Big Thunder which was designed to look good up against a shoreline.

On a similar topic, it's going to feel weird having land creep right up to Tiana's splashdown area.

Others have said it, I'll say it too: Glad they didn't do this to DL, but in all honesty, WDW's Frontierland was never clicking correctly for me. Maybe because more money and effort was put into Liberty Square? (The dinky Frontierland sign didn't help.). Maybe because it never got Western River Expedition? Maybe because it never had more animated vignettes along the river bank - it always felt a little lazy, like, "Florida swamp will be sufficient atmosphere here in the back." And, on a similar note, the WDW river isn't a respite like it is in Anaheim. You want to relax riding a real boat on Floridian waters? WDW still has a few options like that.

In any case, it's becoming "American National Park Land". It's going to create some REALLY crazy reframing of things.
If you overlay the rendering onto a Google Earth image from the same angle, the entire northern half of TSI and ROA is off to the right of the artwork and therefore, hopefully, not touched. I'd love to see the riverboat continue to operate.

the_rich

TBF, I think it was more along the line that the additional land "could" be used for future expansion and is still available, not that there were explicit plans to do so now or in the short term.
I interpreted it as there was a plan in place. I could be wrong tho.

ctrlaltdel

View attachment 808735
Another potential solution: Turn the island into a peninsula, which would allow guests to walk onto it any time they wanted. Dock the Liberty Belle permanently either at its loading station or by Tiana's. Preserve the beautiful views of main TSI and the rivers.
Ironically, I think they want to keep the water next to Big Thunder, as they think that is likely more essential to an iconic attraction than TSI or the LB. Also allows them to keep part of the water way. But I agree, this makes way more sense.

Quietmouse

Aside from nostalgia warriors, is this really going to play such a huge impact on the core of Disney world audience (younger families typically with small children, with above middle income brackets?)?

These families are paying nearly over 4k for 4 days at Disney world. Does the river boat and river and island add to the magic experience, detracts or is neutral for these families ?

Likewise, same question, would a cars land, with a well done e ticket experience, plus a smaller family experience ride, with solid theming and landscaping add, detract or be neutral ?

My guess, if well done (big if), then it will probably add to the overall trip versus a boat ride/island visit that most kids and families found boring and time wasting and would typically skip over.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom