News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

No, but it is the end of Disney World. Like New Orleans, Pittsburgh, New York, and every other major riverfront city, the water is the heart of the city. Remove the Mississippi, the Allegheny/Monongahela/Ohio, and the Hudson from those cities and all that remains is cement. Water is necessary for life, and cutting off the supply will kill the Magic Kingdom.
it may be time to log off..

eddie104

Eddie, I think everyone’s “last straw” might be different.

For example, I have no great affinity for the Muppets. If it’s mowed down to be replaced by Monsters Inc it wouldn’t bother me. That probably puts me in the minority around here, but it is what it is….

The company is breaking so many ‘last straws’ the last few years you have to wonder about the decision making…
Listen I don’t have any problem with people being upset about this.

I’m not the happiest about the decision either.
No reason to put down someone who is more passionate about something than you are.
Not putting anyone down just telling that poster to chill a little.

No reason to be reacting like a toddler over a theme park.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

I like that Liberty Square, which is fashioned after east coast colonial towns will seemingly (based on fuzzy blue sky concept art) look upon snowy, craggy peaks that refect western geomorphology rather than the Appalachians, Green, White, Presidential ranges, etc.
I mean, there are things like McAfee and Dragon's Tooth on the Appalachian Trail. It's not completely out there.

DCLcruiser

I wonder if this the only entrance? That way the entire back-side facing the older wild west area is blocked by trees.
Screenshot 2024-08-12 at 2.39.12 PM.png

Charlie The Chatbox Ghost

Well we know that isn’t true (see Splash Mountain), but I get your point.

However, there’s no evidence that RoA, the Liberty Belle etc are any more or less popular today than they were in 1971. They weren’t designed to be e-tickets…but they still serve a purpose.
Splash Mountain also had the unique case of being based on a movie that Disney refuses to acknowledge because of its problematic nature. It's insane it was made in the first place, and despite how much I loved it, replacing it was the right call. Pirates and Mansion aren't based on anything Disney is trying to hide, so they'll stay.

And yeah, there's no way to measure the metrics of RoA/TSI. Their purpose is to be less crowded and quieter. People don't understand that they aren't there to be as busy as the main walkways, they're meant as any escape, which is why it's a shame to lose them.

erstwo

I am so incredibly sad about the idea of losing Tom Sawyer Island.
I get that it's not much to probably 70% of WDW visitors - be they locals, regular trip takers, or one and done folks - but to those of us who love it, it's such a heartbreaker.

Does Disneyland get to keep their TSI? So much news this weekend, I couldn't keep up.

Kamikaze

No, but it is the end of Disney World. Like New Orleans, Pittsburgh, New York, and every other major riverfront city, the water is the heart of the city. Remove the Mississippi, the Allegheny/Monongahela/Ohio, and the Hudson from those cities and all that remains is cement. Water is necessary for life, and cutting off the supply will kill the Magic Kingdom.
Come on. You gotta be trolling.

Charlie The Chatbox Ghost

So, I'll be honest, as a Native person, I have mixed feelings about TSI and Rivers of America, and while I do not even remotely claim to speak for anyone else, a lot of the ROA issues are honestly easily fixed with a little Native involvement.

I'm not, however, under any kind of delusion that any of this is for my benefit or in anyway benevolent lol. That's getting into paternalistic territory.

I think DL's solution to Tom Sawyer was perfect because they ran away to the island to be pirates. It was and is the perfect solution to the problem.
I wish WDW would get a similar treatment- replacing Tom Sawyer with a new theme while keeping the island in tact. I don't care for Tom Sawyer either, as I'm sure most people nowadays agree with, but the island serves a great purpose to the parks.

hopemax

Haven't read the thread, only saw the concept art on the Disney Parks Blog. This is awful. Theme parks can be such overstimulating places, and I could always count on Frontierland / Liberty Square / ROA for things to slow down, sit for a spell without the senses being inundated every second. This goes away with that art. More noise from the attraction, more screaming, more people, more stress, more money for the LL to ride it without an uncomfortable, and long wait.

This is not the Architecture of Reassurance.

DCLcruiser

It's going to be seen by anyone who rides Big Thunder Mountain or Haunted Mansion, which is most visitors?
It will be seen by those riders, but are those the most popular? Feel like Fantasyland, Tomorrowland and Adventureland are more popular.

There are always walls up somewhere at the parks.

Wall-e

I was starting to think about this too. The northern portion could still exist and function given this artwork unless Villains annihilates the rest. The northern end is the longer of the two segments anyway. Some the scenery from the southern end could probably be relocated or replicated rather easily.
Time will tell. As a Cars fan I was very annoyed at the announcement and wondered how it would fit in. Now that I’ve seen what they plan to do and how excited my 11 year old son is to see this new land I’ve moved towards looking forward to seeing if they can really reinvigorate us with grand imagineering on the scale that the concept art is advertising.

SteamboatJoe

Leaving aside “problematic” and branding issues, there is another problem…..the days of the “frontier” are just old, and not really all that in touch with the youth of today and tomorrow.

50 years have gone by since the park was first built. That is a number of generaltions now even further removed from the times of the

No that’s 100% what it means. If people aren’t enjoying it in one location, but are enjoying it in another, it means objectively the DL version is satisfying its guest better than Orlando. Just because you like it, doesn’t mean that others are foolish not to like it.
The Davy Crockett and John Wayne frontier vibe is dated and out but National Parks attendance figures say people are still very into the wilderness.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom