News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

TheIceBaron

Look we know just because they announce things doesn’t mean it’s 100% happening the way they announced it. If you feel so passionate about it start a petition and make some social media noise. Maybe it will catch fire. If you love TSI and ROA that much put your time in to show your appreciation and make/sign a petition. Complaining on here seldom does anything.

James Alucobond

It looks to me that you'll now have a big mountain shaped like a piston as your first view as you walk over from the hub. My mind is blown that people are describing this as looking "beautiful", but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Who on earth is working at Imagineering these days?

The one thing that has brought me some joy in all of this is the line from the announcement that "Ahead of work revving into high gear next year, guests will have plenty of time to experience the charm and nostalgia of Frontierland as it is today." Which basically suggests "guests will have plenty of time to experience the charm and nostalgia before we destroy it"!
The scale of the "piston" looks much more ambiguously natural in the aerial art, so hopefully they go that route.

Anyway, I absolutely understand preferring the wide river both aesthetically and narratively (i.e. why the various facades exist where they do in the space). I do too. However, I also think and hope that, from what we can see, it may minimally impact the tranquility of the surrounding area. There seems to have been a conscious decision to face everything away from the rest of Frontierland and toward the center of the southern TSI. The only entrance to both attractions looks to be from the north, and the entire area looks like it's otherwise variably ringed by alpine trees, narrower channels and boardwalks, and sheer cliffs.

Mr. Sullivan

If you read my later post I admitted I was mistak

I remember one poster replied to a message and said "No this won't be the last straw for anyone." Well, he's wrong. Whatever subsection of pixie-dusters that like this and want to passive-aggressively mock and insult the people who don't like it-please enjoy the space that I will not be occupying anymore. I'd like to thank Disney for giving me a place to enjoy with family over the years, but time to move on.
Dude it’s a theme park.

No one is “mocking you” for not liking it. There’s news and things everyone doesn’t like, that’s normal. Yes it is a little over the top to be this upset over changes to a theme park, but it’s new I can get that.

However what I can’t get is all these proud “I’m leaving!!” announcements. What are we supposed to do with that? If you’re done you’re done but I don’t get the announcing, just stop going.

Raineman

It looks to me that you'll now have a big mountain shaped like a piston as your first view as you walk over from the hub. My mind is blown that people are describing this as looking "beautiful", but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Who on earth is working at Imagineering these days?

The one thing that has brought me some joy in all of this is the line from the announcement that "Ahead of work revving into high gear next year, guests will have plenty of time to experience the charm and nostalgia of Frontierland as it is today." Which basically suggests "guests will have plenty of time to experience the charm and nostalgia before we destroy it"!
I guess the "charm and nostalgia" that has existed for 53 years isn't good enough for them. Gotta replace it with "IP and merchandise".

Chef idea Mickey`=

Sadly this will probably happen... they will decide it is too expensive after they have already completed demo on ROA and Tom Sawyer's Island, and then readjust plans and build a value engineered version of the ride shown...a scaled down and less impressive version of what it was supposed to be... you know like the new Flex Space Communicore Hall/Community College Cafetorium... I don't feel confident that these plans will come through with current leadership after the EPCOT debacle.
We would say why are we freaking out over this, when this may be way way early in the game. However how fast they tore down Epcot all together rather than build in phases. Losing something iconic before a later noted readjustment and like you said a scaled down less impressive version than what "it could've been" is more so a waste than not done anything at all and wait only until full scale promise able.

J4546

After thinking about it for a bit, Im still ok with this. I have no attachment to liberty belle or TSI but I do appreciate them and the way they look. But I also really like the concpet art of what this new land/major ride is gonna be. Looks massive, long and super outdoors and wild to me. LIke IJ outdoors with waterfalls and some great scenery. I dont think its gonna be as bad as some think but everyone is entitled to their opinions and I respect em. I fomr one am still looking forward to this and also means villains land will be even bigger

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yeah, it just feels a bit hyperbolic. It might not be what we’re all expecting and Disney’s track record hasn’t been stellar but ultimately we wait and see what comes of it and judge it once it opens.
They could build Flight of Passage, Soarin’ and Cosmic Rewind on the rivers and it would still be the wrong decision.

I’m sure it would look magnificent west of Big Thunder. Or in DHS.

jason976

I mean…I guess? Where was the “massive interest with new crowds” for Tron? Tiana? I guess I just don’t agree with their strategy…
Fair point. I think this is a bit different just in the fact that TSI and ROA are not beloved by casual fans and younger audiences. I would make the case that Splash Mountain was much more widely beloved then TSI/ROA by casual park goers and therefore Tiana’s acceptance was always going to be a struggle.

Tron - well - I never understood that IP getting selected anyway…. But it sure looks neat at night. 🤣

Chef idea Mickey`=

Disney's new idea to increase attendance: getting people to come before they tear down the things they love.
So only WDW always Tearing Down because Anaheim has no attendance problems.. :/ Paris under EuroDisney went so unsuccessfully at first nothing got torn down and Disney's California Adventure had a rebuild but only for the better!

basas

Because then eventually things become stagnant. If every attraction is a classic that can never be touched then the parks become museums. I certainly could be wrong but I'm of the opinion that Walt would've replaced allo fo magic kingdom by now.

I agree…to an extent. But change for the sake of change isn’t good either. For example, if they decided tomorrow to rip up Pirates and replace with Moana…is that the right decision? Probably not…Pirates is still incredibly popular. I don’t think the RoA were ever designed to be ‘popular’, per se…but it really is the thematic anchor for a quarter of the park…which is why the vast majority of people on here have no problem shortening the river, parking the riverboat or even replacing most of Tom Sawyer Island. But they went too far…IMO

the_rich

I agree…to an extent. But change for the sake of change isn’t good either. For example, if they decided tomorrow to rip up Pirates and replace with Moana…is that the right decision? Probably not…Pirates is still incredibly popular. I don’t think the RoA were ever designed to be ‘popular’, per se…but it really is the thematic anchor for a quarter of the park…which is why the vast majority of people on here have no problem shortening the river, parking the riverboat or even replacing most of Tom Sawyer Island. But they went too far…IMO
That's your opinion and its fine. But eventually even pirates and mansion are going to be replaced. I'll be sad when they do but it will eventually happen.

TrainsOfDisney

But on the whole, this is a net positive.
That is your opinion - which is fine. But it’s not a fact. And I 100% disagree.
Liberty Belle 365 days a year: Sits mostly ignored, not a highlight of anyone's Magic Kingdom day.
Speak for yourself, the steamboat and steam train are my favorites along with ragtime piano and fireworks. Admittedly not a fan of HEA but usually fireworks are up there at number 1 haha.
On the bright side, I feel like with this magic kingdom is starting to become its own thing separate from Disneyland
Why is that a good thing?
Losing tsi and river for getting villains land in the magic kingdom? Honestly good trade off. For me personally we have a deal.
Literally a deal with devils. Haha. Ursula promised a lot but had only evil intentions? Haha

Is there actually enough room for this attraction here? Or are we getting Radiator Springs Racers without the dark ride portion? If all we're getting is a short, outdoor attraction that will be closed 1-2 hours a day for weather, then just give us a clone of Grizzly River Run with Humphrey, Chip and Dale, or the Country Bears instead of a Cars ride.

I actually don't mind losing the entire river; it's felt dead ever since the Keelboats and Canoes were gone. They can send the Liberty Belle over to Fort Wilderness or the new Reflections hotel. I do, however, mind losing the vista of the Haunted Mansion lording over the bend in the river. Reminded me of how Washington Irving's real house sits on the Hudson River.

It won't happen, but this project would be a great opportunity to "finish" Liberty Square with the buildings that were originally planned but cancelled in 1969-70, especially with the 250th anniversary in 2026 on the horizon. Building these buildings could enclose Liberty Square and allow it to retain its charm, and can be used to increase dining/shopping capacity.

There are some other mundane thing I'm curious about. Does the parade route stay the same, or will it be rerouted on that new, wide path that looks like its as wide as the current river? Imagine being on line for the Haunted Mansion and seeing the Blue Fairy pass right by, way to ruin the atmosphere. Is there any new dining capacity planned, or are we just going to keep on overtaxing the Columbia Harbor House and Pecos Bills? And will the new DVC lounge be soundproofed from the noise of the Cars rally outside? ;)

J4546

Dude it’s a theme park.

No one is “mocking you” for not liking it. There’s news and things everyone doesn’t like, that’s normal. Yes it is a little over the top to be this upset over changes to a theme park, but it’s new I can get that.

However what I can’t get is all these proud “I’m leaving!!” announcements. What are we supposed to do with that? If you’re done you’re done but I don’t get the announcing, just stop going.
i agree, same with people with those "this is why I left Los angeles" or whatever videos and posts lol. Just leave. If you dont like something stop using it.

Also, not to be demeaning, i respect your opinion and others as well and totally get if you dont wanna go back but for me (and this is not personal) when I hear people say Im not going back I think "Great!", cause the parks are so packed as it is, the less people the better imo. Again, nothing personal

phillip9698

View attachment 808735
Another potential solution: Turn the island into a peninsula, which would allow guests to walk onto it any time they wanted. Dock the Liberty Belle permanently either at its loading station or by Tiana's. Preserve the beautiful views of main TSI and the rivers.

I like that but it still doesn’t solve the problem that a huge space that people don’t go to isn’t what Disney is looking for.

World Showcase in Epcot, which is often described as a concrete paved outdoor oven has so many shaded and beautifully landscaped spots that nobody goes to. My family loves chilling in the back of Morocco or in the elevated gardens of Japan when it gets hot. But nobody else is back there. As often as people complain about how hot Epcot is you would think the carefully manicured shaded areas would be hits. Nope. We often have those entire areas to ourselves.

Why should Disney dedicate more space to areas the overwhelming majority of guests don’t want to frequent?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom