News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Dear Prudence

The bear wasn't on the island. I'm not sure what you're referring to with a machete.

I swear it had been in one of the TSI caves, but I guess it was an axe, not a machete lol

https:///2021/09/tom-sawyer-island-evacuated-kc1/

Wall-e

One more thing I’ve noticed 😁. I do think in addition to the streams and waterfalls at the front of Cars that some of ROA will still exist around BTMRR. Yellow is the entrance, blue outline is water as it currently meets BTMRR and the blue arrow are new water features. It appears you would need to walk around a water feature if you used the HM path (walk through Cars and arrive at the front of BTMRR).

I am optimistic that BTMRR gets some love too especially if the concept art is showing updates or enhanced features not currently on or around the attraction.

1723487597207.jpeg

Last edited:

Ghost93

Truthfully, hasn't Tom Sawyer Island had several security issues in the last year? The guy with the machte and then the bear?! Clearly they can't secure it. That's enough of a reason to get rid of it.
There was also that guy that killed Dr. Robinson and disappeared into the caves somewhere. Very dangerous.

Beacon Joe

No it's not -- it's directly in front of all of Frontierland and Liberty Square.

If it had been where we thought it was going behind BTMR, then yeah, but it isn't.

I like that Liberty Square, which is fashioned after east coast colonial towns will seemingly (based on fuzzy blue sky concept art) look upon snowy, craggy peaks that refect western geomorphology rather than the Appalachians, Green, White, Presidential ranges, etc.

SteamboatJoe

One more thing I’ve noticed 😁. I do think in addition to the streams and waterfalls at the front of Cars that some of ROA will still exist around BTMRR. Yellow is the entrance, blue outline is water as it currently meets BTMRR and the blue arrow are new water features. It appears you would need to walk around a water future if you used the HM path (walk through Cars and arrive at the front of BTMRR).

I am optimistic that BTMRR gets some love too especially if the concept art is showing updates or enhanced features not currently on or around the attraction.

View attachment 808742
I was starting to think about this too. The northern portion could still exist and function given this artwork unless Villains annihilates the rest. The northern end is the longer of the two segments anyway. Some the scenery from the southern end could probably be relocated or replicated rather easily.

Dear Prudence

So, I'll be honest, as a Native person, I have mixed feelings about TSI and Rivers of America, and while I do not even remotely claim to speak for anyone else, a lot of the ROA issues are honestly easily fixed with a little Native involvement.

I'm not, however, under any kind of delusion that any of this is for my benefit or in anyway benevolent lol. That's getting into paternalistic territory.

I think DL's solution to Tom Sawyer was perfect because they ran away to the island to be pirates. It was and is the perfect solution to the problem.

el_super

I agree…to an extent. But change for the sake of change isn’t good either. For example, if they decided tomorrow to rip up Pirates and replace with Moana…is that the right decision? Probably not…Pirates is still incredibly popular.

That's an important distinction: they don't change things that are popular, no matter what level of malice you assign to their decision making. They can't replace Pirates with Cars because it's still too popular. The other side of that argument is that they MUST replace things that are not popular anymore. They are not running a museum.

Charlie The Chatbox Ghost

Why should Disney dedicate more space to areas the overwhelming majority of guests don’t want to frequent?
But by making the island accessible without the rafts, more people can go to it. More kids can run around the play areas, more people can get to the restaurant that would likely have more justification to be open all the time. We need quieter areas of the parks so they don't turn into super stressful, chaotic environments. The parks experience is already very overwhelming at times because of crowds and a lack of many places to go back and hide.

Last time I was at WDW, at one point my family and I found ourselves in the quiet back areas of the Morocco pavilion at Epcot. It was peaceful, quiet. A nice break from the insane crowds that were there that night. Same vibes on Tom Sawyer Island too. Parks need quieter, open spaces for people to explore and take in the atmosphere and escape from the insanity of the rest of the park.

basas

That's an important distinction: they don't change things that are popular, no matter what level of malice you assign to their decision making. They can't replace Pirates with Cars because it's still too popular. The other side of that argument is that they MUST replace things that are not popular anymore. They are not running a museum.
Well we know that isn’t true (see Splash Mountain), but I get your point.

However, there’s no evidence that RoA, the Liberty Belle etc are any more or less popular today than they were in 1971. They weren’t designed to be e-tickets…but they still serve a purpose.

FiestaFunKid

EVERY attraction should be replaced. The parks aren't museums. They have to continuously evolve.

This has become a go to cliche to justify any and all closures at anytime.

In reality, good stewardship of the parks requires much more nuance around what/when to remove and what to add. This is probably most impotant decision of park leadership and, in relation to their bloated compensation, the track record has not been great.

Chef idea Mickey`=

What bothers me most about all the Disney Concepts is none of them come to fruition better or identical in grand and scale as exciting the concept art shows. Im afraid the next Cars one will be a let down from this one so far scaled back that you would only dream of something like this first concept map.

Sectorkeeper71

I’ve come to this conclusion. I’d be ok with:

Then covering over the rivers of America and putting in something more fitting for Frontierland (something like grizzly river run or western river expedition for example)

or

Putting a cars area on the opposite side of the river from thunder mountain that feels like it’s more distinct area.

Doing the two together just seems strange to me

JMcMahonEsq

MK's TSI is so much better than the DL equivalent. Just because a lot of people are foolish to not enjoy it doesn't mean it has no value.
No that’s 100% what it means. If people aren’t enjoying it in one location, but are enjoying it in another, it means objectively the DL version is satisfying its guest better than Orlando. Just because you like it, doesn’t mean that others are foolish not to like it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom