News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

basas

You are, but I think it's unfair to compare TSI/RoA to the majesty, beauty and inspiring views found in an actual national park. To say that national park popularity in anyway translates into TSI/RoA. One is a fake recreation that is oddly located in a theme park with rides.

Just to be clear, I didn’t make the comparison. They are completely different.

I do disagree with your opinion that the RoA are “oddly located”, though. I think they are the thematic anchor to the entire quadrant of the park.

jason976

Kevin Costners western movie bombed hard at the box office this summer. Westworld was really only good for one season. And who could forget how the Lone Ranger did. The western theme, while charming isn’t really moving the numbers the suits care about. Does a relaxing area in a theme park have good numbers too? I hate the mentality but that seems like what we are dealing with
Western movies and tv shows were incredibly popular when Frontier Land was conceived. Designing this land then was indeed a business decision back then. Disney knew then that a Frontier Land would bring in the crowds and the dollars. That time had passed. The people in charge now are likely making the same decisions the ones in charge then would have made. What’s going to make young crowds convince their parents to bring them to Disney? TSI and ROA aren’t it. I will miss the views in that area but totally get this decision either way. On to new Horizons I guess we could say?? 😂

lazyboy97o

I like that but it still doesn’t solve the problem that a huge space that people don’t go to isn’t what Disney is looking for.

World Showcase in Epcot, which is often described as a concrete paved outdoor oven has so many shaded and beautifully landscaped spots that nobody goes to. My family loves chilling in the back of Morocco or in the elevated gardens of Japan when it gets hot. But nobody else is back there. As often as people complain about how hot Epcot is you would think the carefully manicured shaded areas would be hits. Nope. We often have those entire areas to ourselves.

Why should Disney dedicate more space to areas the overwhelming majority of guests don’t want to frequent?
People don’t go into those spaces because they’ve been stripped of their program.

DCLcruiser

Just to be clear, I didn’t make the comparison. They are completely different.

I do disagree with your opinion that the RoA are “oddly located”. I think they are the thematic anchor to the entire quadrant of the park.
Oops, I confused you with the OP to the comment.

I think if they had built Wilderness Lodge behind TSI it would make a lot more sense.

Last edited:

Charlie The Chatbox Ghost

I spoke on that in a later post. My family too enjoys the spaces in Morocco and Japan. Thing is, when we are there they are empty.

I don’t see how there can be any argument for a business to keep these spaces when people aren’t using them for their intended purposes. It would be one thing if people were actually using the laid back and peaceful areas, but in Epcot, MK, and AK they simply do not.

The very vocal minority will definitely cause a stir over this but the majority of Disney guests won’t miss the area at all.
And you're right, no matter how much the vocal majority opinion online seems to be that this is a bad idea, it won't change anything. This isn't a rumor that can be stopped before it even hits production, this is a plan already approved and budgeted for. We could save the Country Bears, but we can't save the Rivers of America.

Chef idea Mickey`=

No no no. It will become Woodys rootinist tootinist run away railroad.
That wouldn't be bad actually just add a few Woody and Jessie and Bullseye animatronics shoutin " YeeeHaa!" and "There's a Snake in My Boot" far more enriching alongside a real Cars Land in the distance with Radiator Spring's and RSR out Northwest. This makes it Walt Disney World's finest. Not take a Californian West Lookin DCA Grizzly Mountain Terrain Coast concept and shove it in our TSI.

MrPromey

Rides and attractions are used interchangeably on here for the most part.
Which they shouldn't be since rides only make up some of the attractions.

It's annoying in discussion when someone, either because they apparently don't understand the meaning of the word or in trying to somehow "win" a debate in bad faith pretend not to.

Last edited:

the_rich

No no no. It will become Woodys rootinist tootinist run away railroad.

I agree 100%. The problem though, is Disney isn't at that point of need yet. They have more than enough space to expand all the parks with no loss of existing attractions. They have spots where they've closed things just sitting empty. Stitch, wonders of life, animation courtyard... I can see when they close or swap very low rated attractions. But unless it's a Stich level attraction, it doesn't need to go away. They have the space, they have the demand for something new and they need the capacity. It should be a no brainer for Disney, but sadly it's not.
Tsi is barely used. Replacing muppets with monsters Inc instead of them using animation courtyard would be a mistake imo. It's still draws a crowd and people like it.

basas

Western movies and tv shows were incredibly popular when Frontier Land was conceived. Designing this land then was indeed a business decision back then. Disney knew then that a Frontier Land would bring in the crowds and the dollars. That time had passed. The people in charge now are likely making the same decisions the ones in charge then would have made. What’s going to make young crowds convince their parents to bring them to Disney? TSI and ROA aren’t it. I will miss the views in that area but totally get this decision either way. On to new Horizons I guess we could say?? 😂

Replacing entire lands every 10-15 years based on which IP is popular will get old really quick…especially with the Magic Kingdom lands that have such broad themes.

basas

"...but National Parks attendance figures say people are still very into the wilderness."

Going into the actual wilderness is enticing. Going to a wooded area of WDW isn't the same thing.

I think if they had built Wilderness Lodge behind TSI it would make a lot more sense.

That is not my quote. But regardless, the entire point of a theme park is to take themes and fantasize them.

Wall-e

My wife and I discussed this last night and I’m interested to see everyone’s take on it. I’m not suggesting a Cars BTMRR takeover but she suggested bringing BTMRR up to par with DL. But I thought why just bring it up to that standard and not give BTMRR an update that will carry it the next 20 years? I don’t know what that would look like but I’d be interested in them taking the time now to give BTMRR a MAJOR overhaul so that this entire area of the park can be left alone and we could see improvements to TL for the next 15-20 years after.

Last edited:

jason976

Replacing entire lands every 10-15 years based on which IP is popular will get old really quick…especially with the Magic Kingdom lands that have such broad themes.
Agree. Just speaking to this particular scenario. Not suggesting it should be a revolving door on that kind of consistency.

Chef idea Mickey`=

Also, it's not that I oppose Cars or the franchise, I just know this wasn't the team or budget that made Carsland that opened in 2012. You KNOW no thought or care is going into this.
That's why I thought of any new thing the safest thing was just to get an exact clone of Cars Land because at least it would put pressure to copy in the exact thing. It wouldn't be difficult or risky.

James Alucobond

To be fair, this entire pair of attractions could easily be rethemed by reshaping the crest of the mountain, swapping out the ride vehicles, and doing a smattering of other cosmetic things. It doesn’t feel terribly locked into the IP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom