News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

basas

Could you please calm down and catch your breath.

This decision is not the end of the world.

Eddie, I think everyone’s “last straw” might be different.

For example, I have no great affinity for the Muppets. If it’s mowed down to be replaced by Monsters Inc it wouldn’t bother me. That probably puts me in the minority around here, but it is what it is….

The company is breaking so many ‘last straws’ the last few years you have to wonder about the decision making…

Animaniac93-98

At least it isn’t just a giant box. I’m getting a lot more grizzly peak vibes. Which is a beautiful area in its own right and where I write this from. It would be nice if there was a bit more overt water though.

If this were a new build attraction somewhere else, I would appreciate that, but I really don't see it working in this location.

Mr. Sullivan

That's historically inaccurate. Snow White, adjusted for inflation, is in the top 10 highest grossing movies of all time and is much more profitatable than Frozen. Frozen definitely sells more merchandise today, but Snow White had several decades of being the most popular and beloved animated movie of all time, selling 28 million VHS copies in the 90s — six decades after its initial release and the third best-selling VHS of all time behind The Lion King and Aladdin.

I'm not saying this to bash Frozen, I love Frozen. But Snow White was the company's most consistent moneymaker in the 20th Century. Only time will tell if Frozen has the same staying power 80 years from now.
I think you know what I was saying with that and it has nothing to do with box office inflation and everything to do with influence and historical significance, but understood.

Chef idea Mickey`=

Kind of ironic IMHO in removing a water feature in the Orlando area humid subtropical environment for a concrete desert, while retaining it in Anaheims' hot semi-arid climate. Maybe its to amplify the fantasy aspect of water where there is insufficient amounts of it and an artificial lack of it where there is plenty ? Or maybe its a case of "those budgets arent going to spend themselves" ?
Not when you find out those in hand decisions are Californian's who never set foot in Florida to note how it will settle in unCalifornian weather. Look at Epcot's World Celebration.

Ice Gator

No, but it is the end of Disney World. Like New Orleans, Pittsburgh, New York, and every other major riverfront city, the water is the heart of the city. Remove the Mississippi, the Allegheny/Monongahela/Ohio, and the Hudson from those cities and all that remains is cement. Water is necessary for life, and cutting off the supply will kill the Magic Kingdom.
I can’t tell if you’re serious or not but thanks for the laugh regardless.

Charlie The Chatbox Ghost

This would hold more weight if people actually went to that island and chilled. They don’t. That place is a ghost town even during the most hectic peak seasons.

So Disney should create more spaces that people don’t go to for the extremes minority of folks who do visit those areas.
1723486381405.png

Another potential solution: Turn the island into a peninsula, which would allow guests to walk onto it any time they wanted. Dock the Liberty Belle permanently either at its loading station or by Tiana's. Preserve the beautiful views of main TSI and the rivers.

UNCgolf

It'll look hideous after it's complete as well...

I mean, maybe?

It's possible it will look good when it's complete, although it's hard for me to imagine how it's going to fit well into the area even if it looks good in a vacuum. And the loss of the waterway is just a tremendous mistake from a park planning/aesthetics perspective.

It's going to be truly awful while it's under construction, though. Emptied waterways, cleared trees... I assume they will try to put up some construction walls, but there will still be a lot that's visible, and it will be visible (and directly in guests' faces) from a significant percentage of the park.

KDM31091

I just can’t get behind more stressful, hot, hectic, crowded spaces, more VQ and LL stress and drama, more rushing around, faster pace. Fewer areas to just relax and recharge and maybe take a slow boat ride. These things are just as important. They’re eliminating all of that in favor of constant new E tickets which, yes, E tickets are great but it needs to be balanced with less “exciting” things that don’t contribute to extreme crowds.

SteamboatJoe

We all thought that maybe the upper half would get cut off. Instead its the lower half. It appears the upper half is still there, unless this is thrown together artwork and they didn't think about that. Could they still retain the riverboat in the upper half with the launch just on the other side of HM?

View attachment 808726
The real kicker is the landscaping in this plan has the potential to be beautiful, ROA loss and Cars theme notwithstanding. If this was a brand new park and it was something other than Cars, I think we all would've nodded our heads in approval.

I had long thought the area north of ROA should have been a WDW version of Critter Country borrowing design aesthetics from DCA's Grizzly Peak and Redwood Creek.

RobbinsDad

I mean, maybe?

It's possible it will look good when it's complete, although it's hard for me to imagine how it's going to fit well into the area even if it looks good in a vacuum. And the loss of the waterway it just a tremendous mistake from a park planning/aesthetics perspective.

It's going to be truly awful while it's under construction, though. Emptied out waterways, cleared trees... I assume they will try to put up some construction walls, but there will still be a lot that's visible, and it will be visible (and directly in guests' faces) from a significant percentage of the park.
Big Thunder should give us some beautiful views of the construction zone.

basas

I mean, maybe?

It's possible it will look good when it's complete, although it's hard for me to imagine how it's going to fit well into the area even if it looks good in a vacuum. And the loss of the waterway is just a tremendous mistake from a park planning/aesthetics perspective.

It's going to be truly awful while it's under construction, though. Emptied out waterways, cleared trees... I assume they will try to put up some construction walls, but there will still be a lot that's visible, and it will be visible (and directly in guests' faces) from a significant percentage of the park.

Of course it will look good. All of the new lands *look pretty*. Still doesn’t keep this from being a massive mistake IMO.

DarkMetroid567

Eddie, I think everyone’s “last straw” might be different.

For example, I have no great affinity for the Muppets. That probably puts me in the minority around here, but it is what it is.

The company is breaking so many ‘last straws’ the last few years you have to wonder about the decision making…
I think it’s inevitable — a bandaid Disney has no choice but to peel.

These parks have built so much nostalgia and goodwill (pay attention to how often people invoke their memories or their kids) that you’ll p off all arrangements of people with any change short of building a 5th gate. People wonder why Disney is unwilling to build a non-IP land or attraction, the opportunity cost is too high when you’re not drawing on a blank canvas.

Sir_Cliff

I will say that it at least looks like they're trying to seal off views of the cars with a bunch of alpine trees. It also seems the main entrance is tucked away in the back, and I don't totally hate the transition from a snow-capped Piston Peak to geysers to Big Thunder. However, it seems crazy that they couldn't preserve any of the Rivers of America at all.
It looks to me that you'll now have a big mountain shaped like a piston as your first view as you walk over from the hub. My mind is blown that people are describing this as looking "beautiful", but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Who on earth is working at Imagineering these days?

The one thing that has brought me some joy in all of this is the line from the announcement that "Ahead of work revving into high gear next year, guests will have plenty of time to experience the charm and nostalgia of Frontierland as it is today." Which basically suggests "guests will have plenty of time to experience the charm and nostalgia before we destroy it"!

kevlightyear

Well have several things to do on the WDW bucket list (Not mine but the parks') on my trip in October:
  • Liberty Belle Riverboat
  • TSI
  • DINOSAUR
  • It's Tough to Be A Bug
  • Muppets (not yet verified but this could go away if the Monster, Inc coaster is put in the former Muppets Courtyard. I'm already seeing more likely Animation Courtyard)
Add to that already replaced
  • Splash > Tiana
  • CBJ > CBMJ
Quite a list.
Disney's new idea to increase attendance: getting people to come before they tear down the things they love.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom