News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

BrianLo

The river adds character, atmosphere, and beauty. These are not unimportant to one’s experience of the park; they are fundamental to it.

A choice was definitely made and I will not remotely deny the controversy of this choice. One I look forward to litigating for the next 4-5 years.

I think the new area may include more character, atmosphere and beauty than probably the knee jerk reaction to this figures. Hanging out by Radiator Springs Racers carries that spark. To me at least. Will it carry as much charm as ROA? I have no idea. But there’s a good amount of rock work and trees I see.

At least it isn’t just a giant box. I’m getting a lot more grizzly peak vibes. Which is a beautiful area in its own right and where I write this from. It would be nice if there was a bit more overt water though.

Beacon Joe

We all thought that maybe the upper half would get cut off. Instead its the lower half. It appears the upper half is still there, unless this is thrown together artwork and they didn't think about that. Could they still retain the riverboat in the upper half with the launch just on the other side of HM?

View attachment 808726
Thanks for posting that image and now I can fully see what others marked as Building A in the comparison images. Weird all around.

Kamikaze

No, but this change turns the Magic Kingdom into a Universal park. Good riddance to this company. This boulder will tumbler further and further and will ultimately destroy aspects of these parks that are beloved by those here who are defending this atrocious decision.
I think you meant to reply from your other account.

eddie104

No, but this change turns the Magic Kingdom into a Universal park. Good riddance to this company. This boulder will tumbler further and further and will ultimately destroy aspects of these parks that are beloved by those here who are defending this atrocious decision.
Could you please calm down and catch your breath.

This decision is not the end of the world.

PK2

I don’t like this at all but I also don’t think it’s a decision they made lightly. As for the Liberty Belle, maybe it winds up docked on the fringes of Villains? That would be an interesting idea if done properly.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Kind of ironic IMHO in removing a water feature in the Orlando area humid subtropical environment for a concrete desert, while retaining it in Anaheims' hot semi-arid climate. Maybe its to amplify the fantasy aspect of water where there is insufficient amounts of it and an artificial lack of it where there is plenty ? Or maybe its a case of "those budgets arent going to spend themselves" ?

Chef idea Mickey`=

Honestly I’m surprised Tom Sawyer Island lasted as long as it did. Maybe Liberty Belle to Grand Floridian, Epcot area or something.
I've had discussions with my mom why a pirate boat to take you to your fancy Grand Floridian Resort. The Polynesian should have a Poly type boat. Can the Liberty Belle be the new transportation between Grand Floridian Resort and Magic Kingdom at least you can stay fancy than a tiny pirate boat.

phillip9698

Tom Bricker with a good take as always.

This block especially stands out

“Beyond that, instead of being singularly fixated on increasing capacity, I wish Walt Disney World would endeavor to eliminate stress. When it comes to this, there are the usual suspects–screen time, lines, ride breakdowns, etc. But another one is offering up lovely places to decompress that bring smiles to the faces of guests.

Some of those decision-makers should go inside one of the massive Magic Kingdom quick-service restaurants during the middle of the day and count all of the people not eating anything. Just sitting there with their heads on the tables or attempting to ‘rest and recharge’ in about the most chaotic environment possible. (Nothing says ‘recharging’ quite like the midday rush at Pinocchio Village Haus!)

I’m not kidding. One important goal should be getting these people out of the loud and unpleasant restaurants and into actual serene spaces that offer nice ambiance and actually will allow them to mentally refuel for a brief bit. Walt Disney World needs to understand that Magic Kingdom is a world-class theme park, and those two words have meanings beyond just the fanciest and most modern rides. There should be a concerted effort to not just keeping it a “park” but enhancing that angle. It may not be captured on guest satisfaction surveys, but it’s as big a part of what separates Disney from an average amusement park as the envelope-pushing attractions.”

This would hold more weight if people actually went to that island and chilled. They don’t. That place is a ghost town even during the most hectic peak seasons.

So Disney should create more spaces that people don’t go to for the extreme minority of folks who do visit those areas?

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

Even the concept art makes it clear none of these elements come together.

You can't just plop trees, pathways and water features wherever and have them create a cohesive whole.

That whole section of the park is built with the river in mind. The placement of buildings, what buildings are there, how the architecture flows, the vistas from various perspectives, all of this is being thrown out and the end result will not look good no matter what ornamentation is glued on.

This is The Magic Kingdom, not Disney Adventure World. Rides and settings were not chosen for whatever reason. You can't decouple and compartmentalize every square inch and ignore what infrastructure exists around it.

And now we lose a unique Tom Sawyer Island that's not the same as its counterparts, and a more relaxing, accessible ride in the form of the Riverboat for another thrill attraction with a height requirement that will have longer lines and won't necessarily appeal to the same audience.

Mr. Sullivan

Promoting brands is more important than celebrating America according to Disney and Bob Iger
Well…we don’t need to get into that here (not allowed to) so I will most definitely be leaving this here but…if that is their thinking, and to be clear I don’t think it is, then that isn’t really a bad read on the room at the moment.

Haymarket2008

I also find it odd that the big “Piston Peak” is just going to tower over the area immediately upon entering the left side of Liberty Square??

Might they keep part of the northern part of the river?

Consumer

Could you please calm down and catch your breath.

This decision is not the end of the world.
No, but it is the end of Disney World. Like New Orleans, Pittsburgh, New York, and every other major riverfront city, the water is the heart of the city. Remove the Mississippi, the Allegheny/Monongahela/Ohio, and the Hudson from those cities and all that remains is cement. Water is necessary for life, and cutting off the supply will kill the Magic Kingdom.

Beacon Joe

This would hold more weight if people actually went to that island and chilled. They don’t. That place is a ghost town even during the most hectic peak seasons.

If WDW actually ran the keel boats, it'd be easier to get over there. Maybe it was just my luck, but I think I managed to find them operating one day out of the past 4 visits.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom