News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

doctornick

It's confounding to me that they, at the VERY least, aren't going the Big Thunder in Disneyland Paris route. A perfect and effective example of the right way to use a space like this.

Tom Sawyer's days were numbered, we all knew that. The river is a step WAY too far.

Yep. Want to get rid of TSI (the name and pathways), totally get it. Use the island in a different way, fine. But do something creative with it and keep the waterfront.

basas

I forgot to add one thing…

My last visit to Magic Kingdom (this February), Tom Sawyer island was far from deserted and the riverboat was packed (I couldn’t get a spot near the railings). It wasn’t a busy day at the park, either. It’s been said in this thread that “no-one” went on these attractions and that is absolutely false, especially the riverboat.

SplashJacket

The poor placement of TRON will seriously compromise the design any Speedway replacement.
Not necessarily. Tokyo’s original plans for the BatB expansion involved taking out their whole Cosmic Rays equivalent block. There’s enough land to have a decent sized attraction that integrates well with Tron.

My vote has always been retheme Cosmic Rays to a battle bot BH6 diner and put a C or D ticket BH6 ride at the speedway and then lean into neon for the facade and create a pond underneath the people mover that has water features that react to the trains passing. Then they could build a new larger attraction at the old Skyway station / current stage.

Chef idea Mickey`=

Jurrasic Park diverges cars without the dinosaurs

Powers to be are all in California they could careless about WDW
That's why what they did to Epcot and Many things aren't designed with the Florida temperature in mind, so why bother would they care whether it rains at Radiator Spring's. They would never want to share Cars Land nor Radiator Spring's alone with anyone not WDW nor international.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Has anybody considered how bad that robot looking mountain will look from the hub or is it even tall enough to be seen from Adventure land?

I honestly don't think it will be very tall. The latest concept art (which I take to be more "true to scale" than what was shown at D23). It appears that the "peak" of the mountain will actually be built on top of (and to partially hide) the main show building). shows cars driving up that mountain and that tallest point only being maybe 10-20 feet above the cars.

I tried to make some sense of the image. Based on what I can see, it seems the ride will be as follows:

1. Entrance/(Exit)?: I can't tell if this is the formal ride entrance or just the entrance of the show building. Either way, you may either walk (or drive) past McQueen and Mater as you enter the main show building. Or maybe it's possible that this is the end of the ride and you go past McQueen and Mater before making a left turn to the finish line (H)[which I have no other way of getting to otherwise)
A. Show Building Race Exit: It looks like you will have a dark ride portion (similar to RSR) prior to exiting the show building to start the "race"
B. Start Line: You can see the start line here indicating the start of the race before the cars make a180 degree turn to the right before going over the bridge
C. The Bridge: Shown in a lot of the concept art
D. Under the Bridge: After the bridge the cars turn 270 degrees to the left to go under the bridge they just crossed
E. Tunnel/Cave: After going under the bridge, the cars turn 180 degrees to the right again to go through a tunnel/cave (that goes under the path the cars previously took before going over the bridge)
F. Mountain Ascent: After exiting the cave, there is a (mostly) straight section where I assume the gyser/mud aspect will come into play before the ascent up the mountain
G. Mountain Peak: At the peak of the mountain, the cars will go around the signature mountain peak before making a turn and going... well, who knows!
H. Finish Line: Eventually, you get back up to the finish line, but I can't see where there is an outdoor path here or if maybe the ride goes back indoors for a portion before making it to the finish line.

Capture.PNG

JohnD

Well have several things to do on the WDW bucket list (Not mine but the parks') on my trip in October:
  • Liberty Belle Riverboat
  • TSI
  • DINOSAUR
  • It's Tough to Be A Bug
  • Muppets (not yet verified but this could go away if the Monster, Inc coaster is put in the former Muppets Courtyard. I'm already seeing more likely Animation Courtyard)
Add to that already replaced
  • Splash > Tiana
  • CBJ > CBMJ
Quite a list.

lazyboy97o

I completely disagree with suffocating. It's actually adding a vast amount of walkable space where before there wasn't any. It's making the park bigger. That's without Villains.
How a space feels is a result of how the space is designed, not just pure square footage. A physically huge area can feel crowded and suffocating.

An insider on this thread already indicated that this wasn't even the cheapest option, but was chosen specifically to get rid of RoA/TSI. Other options were available and not pursued.
The purpose is making a radical change. “I did this” ego stroking.

The land north of the Berm is swamp land, and would require reclamation work as well as the rerouting of roads and waterways.
This will also require significant rerouting of water.

FiestaFunKid

It's clear that Disney does not highly value their legacy assets and their unique charm that has resonated with visitors over the decades. I think areas like Tom Sawyer Island and Rivers of America are differentiators that are impossible to recapture once removed.

We are on a path that leads to there being no difference between Disney and Universal. Two essentially equally resourced companies chasing the latest IP and stuffing in rides/mini lands until they are competing concrete jungles.

Brian

We are on a path that leads to there being no difference between Disney and Universal. Two essentially equally resourced companies chasing the latest IP and stuffing in rides/mini lands until they are competing concrete jungles.
That's not quite true. If you look at what Universal is developing for Epic Universe and the Kids Resort in Texas, you'll see that they are placing a lot of emphasis on the "park" part of theme parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom