News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Jrb1979

I have no issue with someone giving an opinion, but your whole post just lambasted a whole group of people (a generation) for not caring about the parks etc. You don't know those people.

Hate this addition or love it, that's fine. But I just find it offensive when you just insult a large swath of people to bolster your own opinion.
It's not meant to be an insult. I'm sorry it came off that way. In general the younger generation grew up with the way the parks are now. They don't hold the same nostalgia for Rivers of America and Muppets as those whose have gone since the 80s and 90s.

It's how people view the parks differently. For my family, we grew up with each park being unique and different. I'm not against IP in the parks. I feel they need to make it fit the theme of the park.

The only new attractions they announced I feel for the park they are going is the AK additions.

JD80

This looks like crap they’d put in Genting Skyworlds.
View attachment 808685

The impact on the parks perception cannot be understated. It’s going to make the park go from feeling sprawled and grand to cramped and suffocating.

I completely disagree with suffocating. It's actually adding a vast amount of walkable space where before there wasn't any. It's making the park bigger. That's without Villains.

Conor.Nam15

The artwork looks Iike they’re channeling the spirit of the never built western river expedition, or mine train into natures wonderland… with the natural landscapes, caves, and waterfalls. All in the spirit of frontierland. Unfortunately they are forced to build something IP driven and marketable. As much as I dont like cars and I’m nervous about how it will fit in, I do understand the reasoning and I’m hopeful that they can do it and leave the land’s atmosphere and aesthetic intact.

fuentesalex

Could there be some hope for water around the new area? This looks like a bridge from LS…

Attachments

• IMG_7055.png
    IMG_7055.png
    448.1 KB · Views: 83

basas

Very sad to see them destroying my favorite area of the park. Honestly, I love Cars and think RSR (even as a clone) would make a great addition to Magic Kingdom as an extension of Frontierland…moving geographically further west… I was even excited to hear the Cars area announced the other day because I assumed this was ‘sort of’ the plan. I expected they were going to shorten the RoA and park the riverboat to make room for the expansion but…wow…I did not expect this.

Next up they will gut Liberty Square and I fully expect to see Main Street USA rebranded as “Mickey Ave” eventually, too. This is a company that seems ashamed of its American roots…it’s very sad to see and I can’t believe Walt would approve…

And for the folks who insist that we don’t care about TSI or the riverboat and are just making a fuss because we’re “against progress”…that’s an ignorant opinion and I’ll leave it at that.

By the way, I’m a millennial and a huge fan of Mark Twain’s stories…

duncedoof

Seeing some people talk about how much space the river used to take, how many potential guests weren't using it, etc. It's so sad to see park goers think like executives now.

That space not being used for any main attractions was a concern since day one. They built anyway, because they realized these parks need some natural and relaxing spaces that synergize with everything built around them, existing for their own sake. Sometimes it's not all about numbers on a chart. Some people just don't get it.

This will alter the vibe of everyone attending the park on any given day in ways they won't even realize themselves. I bet you, you'll see more general stress in the people inside MK.

doctornick

I don't even believe that anymore. I can only imagine they're paving that river next, except the bare minimum they would need to keep Fantasmic running.

Honestly, I don't want it to happen, but if they were getting rid of DL's RoA, I would at least feel better that they are being consistent and there is a purpose behind it. Kind of like both places losing Splash, which was awful. But why crap all over one resort but allow the other to have proper nostalgia? If RoA/TSI is deemed "problematic", it should be dealt with appropriately everywhere.

KDM31091

Seeing some people talk about how much space the river used to take, how many potential guests weren't using it, etc. It's so sad to see park goers think like executives now.

That space not being used for any main attractions was a concern since day one. They built anyway, because they realized these parks need some natural and relaxing spaces that synergize with everything built around them, existing for their own sake. Sometimes it's not all about numbers on a chart. Some people just don't get it.

This will alter the vibe of everyone attending the park on any given day in ways they won't even realize themselves. I bet you, you'll see more general stress in the people inside MK.
Exactly; because more and more attractions are stressful to get VQ, long wait, crowd inducing, and fewer and fewer are relaxing.

lazyboy97o

That’s just false.

People will be complaining that their kids liked it. Some people are complaining about TSI, but mostly everything is complaining about the ruined views.

A speedway replacement makes the area infinitely more visually interesting. A RoA makes it far less visually appealing, or lateral, at best.
The poor placement of TRON will seriously compromise the design any Speedway replacement.

Kamikaze

I'm actually with you. I am having trouble focusing on work and feel shaky. I'm actually surprised at how much this has bothered me. It feels like a big part of my youth is just being ripped out and trampled on.

I mean it is lunchtime now and I don't have much of an appetite.
Your youth still happened. Nothing was 'trampled on'.

Others will have a different youth.

disney fan 13

I have perspective about the whole thing. I loved running around TSI as a child, but I haven’t visited it at all in recent years. So I agree with the pro removal side that this will be popular with the majority of guests, some of whom inevitably did not know TSI was even there. However, I do think TSI would be a much more heavily traveled (to its detriment) if you didn’t have to take the boat to the island and there was a walkway.

More to the point. It feels illogical that they would choose to rip out the river, which is a part in some way of every castle park besides Shanghai (which itself still has a large water feature.) for this expansion. Disney seems to have looked at the cost of expanding beyond the berm and decided it was too expensive. However, at the same time, every time a new castle park has been built, the imagineers decided that either ROA or some other big water feature was essential to the fung shui of the castle park. Time will tell who’s right.

Is the ride gonna be good? Hopefully, probably.

Is the area going to be well themed? Sure.

Is it gonna be a hit? Yes.

Is it still disappointing they’re taking out the river? Absolutely.

As with the shooting arcade, Disney doesn’t seem to value experiences that not everyone does or is lesser traveled unless you have to pay extra for it. Not everything in a theme park should need to be done every trip for it to be meaningful. There’s benefit in putting things “off the beaten path”, it makes the park feel bigger.

Someone mentioned up thread Disney is taking the park out of theme park, I’m not a Walt-ist. Parks have to change with the times, but I do think that in the quest to stay relevant, Disney can forget that people, even children can enjoy classic things, things that have stood the test of time, unlike some of the fad rides Disney has built in the 21st century. Sometimes Disney can forget the principles of design that made something classic in the first place.

P.S To the people in the thread saying nobody besides us would care about this removal. Obviously Disney thought it was a controversial move by holding off until the end of the convention to reveal TSI would be removed.

/end rambling rant

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom