News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
IMG_3786.jpeg
IMG_3787.jpeg

KDM31091

I am absolutely devastated about this loss of RoA and TSI. I know that they are low capacity and on valuable real estate, but I feel like Disney keeps insisting that most new attractions need to be an E ticket. Attractions like RoA and TSI and so crucial to the design and flow of a theme park that as they keep removing them, there are going to be less and less things for guests to do when the parks are actually crowded and busy. It is important to have things for guests to do that require little to no wait. Its all part of the experience. This is literally theme park operations 101 but I'm not sure any one at Disney making these decisions has taken that class yet.
This exactly, plus the perks are nearly always busy. The low wait relaxing attractions are just as important. Instead the park will feel just as crowded even with all these new big ticket attractions and the resulting crowds. More virtual queue stress. More breakdowns causing excessive crowding when there’s no “chill” attractions for people to retreat to. More crowds and chaos.

I dunno, as time goes by, unfortunately, they are just sucking all of the fun out of the parks, and making the experience demanding, stressful, and exhausting, if you actually want to ride the big attractions. So turning every new attraction into a huge draw is not the answer either IMO.

doctornick

...in what possible world does a large land with multiple rides not represent an increase of capacity over the riverboat and Tom Sawyer's Island, of all things?

Hey, you know what increases capacity even more? Putting Cars on virgin land to the north and keeping RoA/TSI. Why not all of it?

I mean, it's the busiest theme park in the world, why not max out capacity especially when you have the "blessing of size"?

DavidDL

The river adds character, atmosphere, and beauty. These are not unimportant to one’s experience of the park; they are fundamental to it.

The amount of folks who fail to grasp this concept is staggering. Bumming around the forums without being able to understand this I guess is fine, but when one of those jokesters makes their way into a position at Disney, we get this. A joke of a decision.

Additionally, this is just yet another sign that NO attraction or space is safe from modern Disney management. I remember it was rumored Guardians would take over Tower of Terror, it felt like a joke someone would make online. But it happened and made the park worse. “At least we still have the better one out in Florida!”, defenders would say. That isn’t the point, though.

The point is that modern Disney has slowly been getting more and more bold over the years with what spaces they can ruin. It starts with something small, like the Main Street Theatre in WDW or the Court of Angels in Disneyland. Then they come for something like Tower of Terror. Now, they take the Rivers of America. All this leads me to realize that I will probably see something like Pirates or Mansion removed in my lifetime, which is heart breaking.

But hey, who needs character, atmosphere or beauty in a Disney park when I could be hearing Larry the Cable Guy say “Get ‘er dun!!” all day?

Kamikaze

The amount of folks who fail to grasp this concept is staggering. Bumming around the forums without being able to understand this I guess is fine, but when one of those jokesters makes their way into a position at Disney, we get this. A joke of a decision.

Additionally, this is just yet another sign that NO attraction or space is safe from modern Disney management. I remember it was rumored Guardians would take over Tower of Terror, it felt like a joke someone would make online. But it happened and made the park worse. “At least we still have the better one out in Florida!”, defenders would say. That isn’t the point, though.

The point is that modern Disney has slowly been getting more and more bold over the years with what spaces they can ruin. It starts with something small, like the Main Street Theatre in WDW or the Court of Angels in Disneyland. Then they come for something like Tower of Terror. Now, they take the Rivers of America. All this leads me to realize that I will probably see something like Pirates or Mansion removed in my lifetime, which is heart breaking.

But hey, who needs character, atmosphere or beauty in a Disney park when I could be hearing Larry the Cable Guy say “Get ‘er dun!!” all day?
No it didn't. MB is better than DCA Tower. And it isn't close.

And yes, if ScarJo's Tower of Terror movie ever gets made, they will 'come for' WDW Tower as well.

KDM31091

Exactly. Unfortunately, this move proves that basically nothing is safe. If Pirates or Mansion are deemed expendable and can be replaced with something to sell more merch, they’ll do it.

doctornick

I knew this was being considered since 2016. I didn’t think they’d be daft enough to approve it.

It’s not over yet either.

Please be true.

Honestly, I'd actually be okay with them filling in part of the RoA (the northern portion) and removing the features of TSI if they dock the boat and keep it and maintain the waterfront next to Liberty Sq and the main Frontierland. I mean, I wouldn't like it but it would be tolerable IMHO.

Destroying the waterfront next to the current guest areas is absolutely insane.

Jrb1979

I don't fully blame those in charge. Part of it is the new generation don't care about a parks theme and don't have the nostalgia of the original parks.

All the care about is new and flashy.

Chef idea Mickey`=

I also wonder if they’ve come to the realization - after building multiple clones of rides, sometimes at the same time - the variable headaches aren’t worth the supposed cost savings (which gets eaten up). Can’t imagine the ROTR or TBA buildouts were relatively cost friendly, given the delivery and operational problems at the outset.

I thought they referred to Galaxies Edge having a second is cheaper for them than just building one. Mmm

Disstevefan1

We have a minimum of 6 years to argue about this, then after if opens we can argue over what we actually got after all the cost cutting was done, then we can argue about how much the new attractions breakdown, how hard it is to get in the boarding groups, and if $50 for a single LL (or whatever its called then) is worth it for a one minute attraction. ;)

Kamikaze

Hey, you know what increases capacity even more? Putting Cars on virgin land to the north and keeping RoA/TSI. Why not all of it?

I mean, it's the busiest theme park in the world, why not max out capacity especially when you have the "blessing of size"?
Yes, they should be expanding instead of replacing, I don't think anyone can argue that. But if the two options are replace or do nothing, I'll take replace.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom