News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

DarkMetroid567

For sure.
I haven't ridden Secret Life of Pets, but I've watched videos of it a couple of times.
It's more Disney than Disney of late.
As a random aside, I think Off the Leash is fascinating as it both bolsters and undermines a lot of the sentiments you see on forums like these. The ride is unpopular and Universal hasn’t shown any interest in making a ride like it since (unless you count Yoshi, which isn’t 1/10th the ride SLOP is).

On one end, it proves a lot of people’s concerns about IP. Secret Life of Pets just isn’t an IP that people have cared for, and it only grows less and less popular. What irrelevant IP is next to doom a ride to extinction?

On the other end, it serves as evidence that “just build a good ride, and the people will come” isn’t true anymore. Off the Leash is by all means a fantastic ride and everyone who rides it tends to really like it, buuuuuut… no one does. It routinely has the shortest lines at USH and just hasn’t sustained any interest. I can understand why Universal and Disney would get cold feet spending millions on an attraction with no IP draw.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
As a random aside, I think Off the Leash is fascinating as it both bolsters and undermines a lot of the sentiments you see on forums like these. The ride is unpopular and Universal hasn’t shown any interest in making a ride like it since (unless you count Yoshi, which isn’t 1/10th the ride SLOP is).

On one end, it proves a lot of people’s concerns about IP. Secret Life of Pets just isn’t an IP that people have cared for, and it only grows less and less popular. What irrelevant IP is next to doom a ride to extinction?

On the other end, it serves as evidence that “just build a good ride, and the people will come” isn’t true anymore. Off the Leash is by all means a fantastic ride and everyone who rides it tends to really like it, buuuuuut… no one does. It routinely has the shortest lines at USH and just hasn’t sustained any interest. I can understand why Universal and Disney would get cold feet spending millions on an attraction with no IP draw.

I think it depends on the concept. Some concepts don't need an IP to be widely popular. I haven't watched Secret Life of Pets and therefore have no idea what the theme is. However I do recognize the theme of a forbidden mountain, or a haunted building (house, mansion, hotel, manor), or a pirate takeover, or a runaway train (and that's been done twice).

I believe, for example, that Mystic Manor is a very popular attraction and it isn't based on an IP and I think it would be popular in the U.S. also.

SpaceMountain77

Despite Josh's promises and All-4-One singing I swear, D23 is historically known for announcements that never come to fruition. Economists are predicting that the United States economy will experience a recession within the next 18 months and wars are intensifying in several regions of the world. If behavior predicts behavior, then it seems very unlikely that all of these major land announcements will happen.

DarkMetroid567

I believe, for example, that Mystic Manor is a very popular attraction and it isn't based on an IP and I think it would be popular in the U.S. also.
I actually DO wonder how popular Mystic Manor is, considering it basically never has a line. But that may be less Mystic Manor’s fault and more HKDL in general. There wasn’t too much merch for it in its gift shop but I was very happy to snag a really cute MM t-shirt.

Though I agree that it could probably kick some butt as an MK attraction.

lazyboy97o

What is the evidence that it is unpopular? That wait times don’t exceed an hour? A ride with a 30 minute wait is still one that is using its capacity. That should be the goal for wait times.

Animaniac93-98

This was not my experience at USH, it had consistent waits throughout the day.

USH's weird layout means entire areas of the park won't be busy, while at the same time others are packed. Crowd patterns are dictated by how long it takes people to get to one area, see everything, and then move on.

If they built it in the middle of USF it would do well.

DCBaker

Premium Member

DarkMetroid567

What is the evidence that it is unpopular? That wait times don’t exceed an hour? A ride with a 30 minute wait is still one that is using its capacity. That should be the goal for wait times.
Queue Times/Thrill data + my anecdotal experience as an AP holder in LA. SLOP really doesn’t hit 30 minutes too much, basically only midday on Saturdays and Sundays. It’s usually the shortest wait in the park and the only ride to display “No Wait” on the USH app. The capacity is actually poor for a modern dark ride (apparently it’s about 1200), which is partially why waits were really really long when it first opened. This, combined with USH’s low capacity in general, means the lines likely should be longer than they are. They are not. I have zero doubt that Universal does not see SLOP as a success.
Plus, Secret Life of Pets is still an IP-based ride. So if it IS unpopular, doesn't that qualify as proof that IP-based attractions aren't inherently successful?
No, I agree with you! Choosing an IP could definitely be a mistake. Hence why the most surefire, successful brands get chosen — like Cars. (yay back on topic!)

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

Fantasy Springs rides look good, especially their Frozen ride
It looks better then a lot of recent Disney dark rides, but it’s still very largely single figures gesturing in a room rather then fully realized scenes. Think about how dynamic a sequence full of the bandits in Tangled’s Duckling could be - the gags, the details, the characters, the physical depth - a full scene rendered in layers. It could rival Pirates. Instead, we get one or two figures on a set.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll take the Fantasy Springs rides over much of what we’ve gotten in Orlando, but it still has the same problems of many of Disney’s rides.

DarkMetroid567

It looks better then a lot of recent Disney dark rides, but it’s still very largely single figures gesturing in a room rather then fully realized scenes. Think about how dynamic a sequence full of the bandits in Tangled’s Duckling could be - the gags, the details, the characters, the physical depth - a full scene rendered in layers. It could rival Pirates. Instead, we get one or two figures on a set.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll take the Fantasy Springs rides over much of what we’ve gotten in Orlando, but it still has the same problems of many of Disney’s rides.
I’m really not sure why OLC wanted such a tiny Rapunzel attraction. It’s really cute but I left thinking Navi River Journey was a better value.

GenChi

Plus, Secret Life of Pets is still an IP-based ride. So if it IS unpopular, doesn't that qualify as proof that IP-based attractions aren't inherently successful?

They aren't. If a ride is considered poor the IP alone isn't going to be this magic savior they think it is, especially when that IP isn't the in-thing anymore.

You don't even need to look beyond MK's gate to see how Stitch, their biggest 2000s character who made them billions in merch sales and is endlessly used, had his ride fail and and replaced with nothing because most saw it as a poor ride. Cars likely will perform well but if it's a really bad ride it's not a guarantee to, and it needs to with the cost it'll be

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Jack ( @IveBeenJack ) has a great video on the Piston Peak Cars rides.

Important point is that it's modeled after national parks, like Yosemite (on which Piston Peak from Planes is modeled). National parks keep the wildness of "the natural fontier." Tho, one wouldn't find off road racing in a national park since that goes against the purpose of national parks....

Maybe it's more a Chester and Hester thing in the untamed West!!

He also has much higher definition concept art that shows the land and the ride paths better (and water features!!).

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

I don’t think any of those are dark rides so I don’t think our definitions are the same.

I’m also not sure what your definition of “working” is - I’m not trying to criticize - I just am not sure where you are coming from.
My opinion is Disney can build attractions from scratch, what I mean by working these do not have the downtime like Tiana has. I consider Ratatouille as a dark ride even though its trackless and not a omnimover.

I do agree with you, they should put two good omnimover dark rides where Cars is going and I think they can do it.

They may prove me wrong, but I think the Cars flat ride will be ok, but the Cars E ticket is going to be problematic. I think the designers keep forgetting they are building something in Florida.

Or maybe they want to minimize air conditioned spaces to save costs?

Disstevefan1

TRON and Guardians aren't dark rides.

Ratatouille... I guess it's one? I'm not really sure how to classify something that's mainly screens/projections but isn't just a simulator.
I hear you.

I just think we cant judge Disney going forward on the failed retrofit of Tiana into the mountain. This project was poorly planned, the change was forced and not based on desire or creativity, they just HAD to get it done.

That said, I am worried about the Cars E ticket outdoor trackless ride.

I no nothing about it, but I hope this does not end up to be a slow boring ride through the race track.

Last edited:

Architectural Guinea Pig

In the Parks
No
My opinion is Disney can build attractions from scratch, what I mean by working these do not have the downtime like Tiana has. I consider Ratatouille as a dark ride even though its trackless and not a omnimover.

I do agree with you, they should put two good omnimover dark rides where Cars is going and I think they can do it.

They may prove me wrong, but I think the Cars flat ride will be ok, but the Cars E ticket is going to be problematic. I think the designers keep forgetting they are building something in Florida.

Or maybe they want to minimize air conditioned spaces to save costs?
Hot take, but Omnimovers are considerably worse in operation than trackless dark rides. Sure, it doesn't break down for a long period of time suddenly, but what really makes it suck is that there has literally never been a single time I rode Mermaid, HM, Astro Blasters, etc. without it full stopping in the middle for minutes at a time, because of a slow loading guest or random safety sensor bening activated. The only thing that I got out of being stuck in the HM for 15 minutes is memorizing the entirety of Madame Leota's script. When the scene mindlessly repeats over and over again it ruins the magic that you came for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom