News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

UNCgolf

Hot take, but Omnimovers are considerably worse in operation than trackless dark rides. Sure, it doesn't break down for a long period of time suddenly, but what really makes it suck is that there has literally never been a single time I rode Mermaid, HM, Astro Blasters, etc. without it full stopping in the middle for minutes at a time, because of a slow loading guest or random safety sensor bening activated. The only thing that I got out of being stuck in the HM for 15 minutes is memorizing the entirety of Madame Leota's script. When the scene mindlessly repeats over and over again it ruins the magic that you came for.

I don't remember ever stopping on Mermaid or Spaceship Earth -- I only remember stopping on Haunted Mansion once.

Regardless, even if they do stop regularly (and I absolutely believe they do; I've probably just been lucky)... I'd still take the occasional stops over the ride just not functioning for long periods of time.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

I don't remember ever stopping on Mermaid or Spaceship Earth -- I only remember stopping on Haunted Mansion once.

Regardless, even if they do stop regularly... I'd personally still prefer the occasional stops to the ride just not functioning for long periods of time.
I think all of them stopped at least once every single time I was on them for both of my last two trips (same for the PeopleMover), but ultimately, the effect isn't really that much worse than getting caught up in the log jam at the end of most of the water rides. I do wish they could figure something out like the skyliner where there's a separate loading bay for people who can't deal with the continuous motion, with vehicles that can seamlessly slot in.

TomboyJanet

From the concept art, the main attraction looks to be quite different to Speedway, because you aren't driving the cars, and it's two cars racing much faster through actual scenery (which Speedway has none). It's even been speculated to be some kind of trackless system so it feels like a more extreme car race. The second attraction we haven't seen anything of yet, but it could be similar to Speedway in which kids can drive their own cars, or it could be a flat ride like Luigis or Maters
I don't trust trackless vehicles at that pace. Especially after rain. What's the traction? Other than that It's basically Test Track the clone, like the flying carpets is Dumbo as a carpet

Last edited:

TomboyJanet

I have not been on any Omnimover ride in the past 5 or 6 years where we didn't stop at least once....Seriously...We laugh about it all the time....if we are going to make it all the way through the Haunted mansion without a stop... we never do.
Spaceship Earth didn't stop last time I was there. And I don't remember if Nemo did or not because nothing happens in that at ride which is a shame because the other omnimovers are way cooler and are gone now.

TomboyJanet

I think it makes a very fitting centrepiece to the park.
I don't. I think GMR did, being about movies altogether. There is an area for animation but its not there. Also it just really annoys me that the line is so much less awesome than the California one. I never made it to Toy story land but I hear the TSM line in Orlando is better. It has to be since the california one is basically the same as an outdoor queue in fantasyland but with less interesting things to see if you pass Potato head. Mostly weird old windows that seem to have nothing in them. Reminds me of when Six flags stores boxes visibly in the upstairs floors of their main streets or wild west.

But anyway, That better not happen again anywhere. Boring queues stink! Down with boring queues!

Centauri Space Station

I don't. I think GMR did, being about movies altogether. There is an area for animation but its not there. Also it just really annoys me that the line is so much less awesome than the California one. I never made it to Toy story land but I hear the TSM line in Orlando is better. It has to be since the california one is basically the same as an outdoor queue in fantasyland but with less interesting things to see if you pass Potato head. Mostly weird old windows that seem to have nothing in them. Reminds me of when Six flags stores boxes visibly in the upstairs floors of their main streets or wild west.

But anyway, That better not happen again anywhere. Boring queues stink! Down with boring queues!
A park dedicated to hollywood where you see classic hollywood and enter the world of movies having its centerpiece do just that with the original Disney ip?

DarkMetroid567

I have not been on any Omnimover ride in the past 5 or 6 years where we didn't stop at least once....Seriously...We laugh about it all the time....if we are going to make it all the way through the Haunted mansion without a stop... we never do.
When I was a CM I would ride Spaceship Earth everyday before my shift. I literally only had a single ride where we didn’t stop

TomboyJanet

A park dedicated to hollywood where you see classic hollywood and enter the world of movies having its centerpiece do just that with the original Disney ip?
The old ride took you through more than just one kind of movie. This takes you to a cartoon short. I'm not saying I hate the ride I do love the cute little train and all but I just think GMR was so well made and so pretty in it's physical sets. The screens just kinda make me feel like I'm in times square

Also it's totally weird that Oswald never entered those cartoons, like for real they had all kinds of other disney characters

TomboyJanet

Cinemas were the original home of cartoons. Preferring the Great Movie Ride is one thing, but I don’t understand the claim that Mickey doesn’t belong in the Chinese Theatre.
I'm not saying that specifically, I see your reasoning but Idk it just lost the feelings It used to have with that old snarky hollywood humor It felt like the park was missing something last time I visited. I'm only providing a way they could have done both, keeping the GMR and having the RR at the same time, which is what would happen if the executives had any respect for the heart and soul of these parks.

Bocabear

MMRR would have been a perfect fit as the centerpiece of the Animation Courtyard. With the Great Movie Ride getting a complete overhaul with new scenes and some 21st century technology... It is what it is now. It is a very cute attraction...but lacks the depth that a "Great Movie Ride Reboot could have brought to the park as a whole...

James Alucobond

The kind of weird thing about Runaway Railway is that the show it's based on is actually great about lampooning classic films, television programs, and really anything Disney, but they chose to eschew all of that in the park where it would've made sense in favor of a train ride to a picnic. I do like the ride, and it still works on the level of stepping into a screen to experience the animated world firsthand. However, it seems like a miss to not pull in all of the content from the show that actually related back to GMR.

TomboyJanet

Just to be clear someone mentioned it may be a trackless ride.....that's impossible at these speeds. there is a reason we don't have self driving race cars all over the dangerous hill climbs

Disstevefan1

Just to be clear someone mentioned it may be a trackless ride.....that's impossible at these speeds. there is a reason we don't have self driving race cars all over the dangerous hill climbs
I have a bad feeling this project is going to be a Rocket Rods level failure!

Destroy ROA, TSI, get rid of the Riverboat AND the Cars attraction fails and is closed.

Will The Cars attraction be WDW's Rocket Rods?????

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom