News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

FigmentFan82

The MAIN ride in the Cars expansion is analogous to the Speedway. And Disney basically locked the Speedway in place with the moronic placement of Tron.

Every decision made recently regarding MK has been mind-bogglingly short-sighted with long-term effects that will be felt for decades.
Doesn’t seem to be at all like Speedway, but ok, keep spouting false rumors

DonniePeverley

At the risk of scouring 349 pages .... are we getting Radiator Springs attraction, or a cheap quick 30 seconds (classic Josh) moving vehicles in a circle, with a lick of paint branded 'cars ride'.

Hopefully the land won't be that open so locals can turn up to have a picnic with food bought from home, thus contributing to over crowding without any benefit to Disney. That's my big fear.

TrainsOfDisney

At the risk of scouring 349 pages .... are we getting Radiator Springs attraction, or a cheap quick 30 seconds (classic Josh) moving vehicles in a circle, with a lick of paint branded 'cars ride'.
It’s definitely not Radiator Springs Racers. It’s also off-road vehicles that don’t resemble the race cars from the movie.

The concept art shows some impressive looking rock work and waterfalls.

Fox&Hound

Had a weird thought. What if this new cars ride was inside. Like picture a giant building where the cars can ride around, protected from the elements. But they hid it with fake rock work and landscape and trees on the outside. It would mean more money as it would have to be themed on the outside and inside but it does alleviate the fears that this ride would be down all the time due to rain and weather.

Not sure they could hide a building this size but just a thought.

Gusey

Had a weird thought. What if this new cars ride was inside. Like picture a giant building where the cars can ride around, protected from the elements. But they hid it with fake rock work and landscape and trees on the outside. It would mean more money as it would have to be themed on the outside and inside but it does alleviate the fears that this ride would be down all the time due to rain and weather.

The only difference between this attraction and Radiator Springs Racers is that it'll be accessed from all 4 sides once Villains arrives to the North, whereas Radiator Springs Racers is located on the edge of Cars Land so the back doesn't need theming

Casper Gutman

If Disney was giving us a well done indoor dark ride in exchange for RoA I’d be a lot more amenable to the change. If they were giving us TWO well done indoor dark rides, I’d consider it a fair deal.

But… it’s very hard to overlook the precedent of Tiana. Disney needs to prove they can still build an AA-heavy dark ride, because at this point their competence to do so is very much an open question.

Animaniac93-98

But… it’s very hard to overlook the precedent of Tiana. Disney needs to prove they can still build an AA-heavy dark ride, because at this point their competence to do so is very much an open question.

I recently went on Secret Life of Pets and thought a lot about what you've written in recent months and what Marc Davis said that was printed in In His Own Words.

The ride is full of AAs, but it's also full of gags that are easy to read and don't require complicated animation and set pieces to pull off. A perfect example would be the dog in front of the yoga class. The staging of them makes it easy to decipher what is going on and takes into account the speed and positioning of the riders. It's also just full of things to look at and isn't a series of empty rooms with one visual point of focus. It's the kind of ride Disney, and especially Universal, needs more of. Yes there are still screens, and yes you get sprayed with water, but they compliment the action instead of driving it. Jurassic World also has some great AAs in it too and the one screen scene actually justifies its use.

I've never seen the movie its based on, and have no interest to do so, but the ride itself and queue are so well done I think everyone here would like it because it's the "Disney" kind of ride we love so much. Not an E-ticket, but better than the likes of Little Mermaid and Frozen Ever After.

[I didn't have trouble getting into the seat, but I can see how others would and question the decision to have two fitted seats with individual lap bars, instead of one flat bench and bar like every Fantasyland dark ride]

lazyboy97o

If Disney was giving us a well done indoor dark ride in exchange for RoA I’d be a lot more amenable to the change. If they were giving us TWO well done indoor dark rides, I’d consider it a fair deal.

The big problem with this change is going to be how it impacts the spatial organization, creating a true edge where one was previously implied. A show building, even one elaborately themed would be even worse as would be a much more defined edge. You’d be getting an even more defined urban condition.

Disstevefan1

Although I disagree with Disney filling in ROA, getting rid of TSI and the riverboat, I understand it’s being done TO SELL MORE LIGHTNING LANE.

Having said that, I totally agree that two well done dark rides would be better than this outdoor Cars ride that is going to be a massive ongoing operational and maintenance disaster when they attempt to put this in Florida.

I think Disney is good at building new dark rides from scratch and the problems they are having with Tiana in WDW is because they were attempting to retrofit the old attraction with new tech plus the fact the new Tiana attraction is actually designed to fit in DLR’s mountain, not WDWs mountain.

DarkMetroid567

I recently went on Secret Life of Pets and thought a lot about what you've written in recent months and what Marc Davis said that was printed in In His Own Words.

The ride is full of AAs, but it's also full of gags that are easy to read and don't require complicated animation and set pieces to pull off. A perfect example would be the dog in front of the yoga class. The staging of them makes it easy to decipher what is going on and takes into account the speed and positioning of the riders. It's also just full of things to look at and isn't a series of empty rooms with one visual point of focus. It's the kind of ride Disney, and especially Universal, needs more of. Yes there are still screens, and yes you get sprayed with water, but they compliment the action instead of driving it. Jurassic World also has some great AAs in it too and the one screen scene actually justifies its use.

I've never seen the movie its based on, and have no interest to do so, but the ride itself and queue are so well done I think everyone here would like it because it's the "Disney" kind of ride we love so much. Not an E-ticket, but better than the likes of Little Mermaid and Frozen Ever After.

[I didn't have trouble getting into the seat, but I can see how others would and question the decision to have two fitted seats with individual lap bars, instead of one flat bench and bar like every Fantasyland dark ride]
Man it really sucks that Universal built this and thought “wow we really cooked. let’s never build anything like this again”

Incomudro

I would say if they could deliver those TWO will replacing the river with visuals worthy of its demise.

Incomudro

For sure.
I haven't ridden Secret Life of Pets, but I've watched videos of it a couple of times.
It's more Disney than Disney of late.

UNCgolf

From scratch, albeit a clone, TRON, built from scratch, seems to be working.
Ratatouille, also a clone, built from scratch, seems to be working.
Guardians, I would say build from scratch (the original building is the queue), seems to be working.

TRON and Guardians aren't dark rides.

Ratatouille... I guess it's one? I'm not really sure how to classify something that's mainly screens/projections but isn't just a simulator.

TrainsOfDisney

From scratch, albeit a clone, TRON, built from scratch, seems to be working.
Ratatouille, also a clone, built from scratch, seems to be working.
Guardians, I would say build from scratch (the original building is the queue), seems to be working.
I don’t think any of those are dark rides so I don’t think our definitions are the same.

I’m also not sure what your definition of “working” is - I’m not trying to criticize - I just am not sure where you are coming from.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom