News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Schmidt

I read the same rumor about Cars being tied to merch sales… I get that this is a consideration, but wish they would have put the ride elsewhere and enjoyed the same merch sales in a different location. I’m not saying ROA has to stay forever, but if it has to be replaced, I just don’t see Cars as a good replacement.
Agreed the merch sales potential of Cars was definitely a reason why Cars was approved, but to be fair the Cars expansion is a much more expensive and significant addition than Coco and Encanto, so yes justification to build a massive E- ticket was needed. Why is that a bad thing.

We were essentially getting Soarin over COCO. I am happy not to be getting another screened based theater ride.

I also think there is a reason why they want to put Cars where they are. IMO this is potentially the beginning of further development at the Magic Kingdom over the next 1-2 decades.

Last edited:

DisneyHead123

Agreed the merch sales potential of Cars was definitely a reason why Cars was approved, but to be fair the Cars expansion is a much more expensive and significant addition than Coco and Encanto, so yes justification to build a massive E- ticket was needed. Why is that a bad thing.

It’s not necessarily a bad thing. But I’ve written a lot about why I think it might (might) be a bad thing in this specific situation, and I doubt anyone is clamoring for me to do a long rehash, lol. The gist is pretty much this - I think that maybe (maybe) the vibe and style of Cars is wrong for this area. It’s putting a go kart track in Cape May, vibe-wise. Maybe I’m wrong, maybe I’ll be surprised. But that’s my concern.

We were essentially getting Soarin over COCO. I am happy not to be getting another screened based theater ride.

I don’t think it was just the ride, I believe there was a village planned as well.

I also think there is a reason why they want to put Cars where they are. IMO this is potentially the beginning of further development at the Magic Kingdom over the next 1-2 decades.

Maybe? I don’t work there so I can only go on rumors I hear here. My understanding is that this was a very last minute decision, not part of a long term plan, but that could be wrong.

Fox&Hound

This project and those that have come before it for Frontierland exist because of a long term goal to redevelop the island/river. That is the intent. They haven’t been looking at Frontierland expansion for any other reason.
I believe you! You have always shared valuable info in the past, not sure why others would doubt you.

Do you know the rationale for removing TSI and the rivers of America? Obviously they are under utilized but is it true that the rivers were an operations headache? Any chance they keep some of the water, at least by the river front area by Fronteirland (the bridges that go out over the water. It seems so weird to remove all of it.

Thanks!

Chef idea Mickey`=

I know I’m a broken record on this, but I soooo want them to do French Quarter to go with Tiana’s.
Your not a broken record bro.
Maybe? I don’t work there so I can only go on rumors I hear here. My understanding is that this was a very last minute decision, not part of a long term plan, but that could be wrong.
Why did they scrap the Animal Kingdom Moana and Zootopia plan. It couldn't be because of backlash, was leadership later gearing toward another direction? Is not having Encanto with Coco the driving force to bring other ideas forward like Cars?

DisneyHead123

Your not a broken record bro.
Thanks. I’m not a bro, btw, but no worries. I think my official title now is “Mama”? That’s how people tend to address women with a small child in tow - I have to say I greatly prefer it to “ma’am”. 😂

Why did they scrap the Animal Kingdom Moana and Zootopia plan. It couldn't be because of backlash, was leadership later gearing toward another direction? Is not having Encanto with Coco the driving force to bring other ideas forward like Cars?

I mean honestly, I have no idea. There are some things I will hazard a guess on, but the internal dynamics of what gets nixed and why - I have no idea. I recall listening to a Joe Rohdes interview where he mentioned the process of project approval briefly and it sounds like it changes constantly. He said there are cycles where everybody is talking about your project and then suddenly nobody is talking about your project, then maybe later they’re talking about it again. I don’t know if there’s always a super clear reason behind it.

Chef idea Mickey`=

Thanks. I’m not a bro, btw, but no worries. I think my official title now is “Mama”? That’s how people tend to address women with a small child in tow - I have to say I greatly prefer it to “ma’am”. 😂
😂 Oh that's my fault, I was seeing so many accounts with names like for example Peter, that I was flyin excited to respond that why didn't I focus on the username when that's what I do first before I even dare... ugh!😝now I've become a broken record quickly! 🤣

Mr. Sullivan

I know I’m a broken record on this, but I soooo want them to do French Quarter to go with Tiana’s.
This wouldn’t be impossible to do in the future! The ride’s location sort of straddles the edge of Frontierland so if they ever wanted to “redistrict” so to speak, BTMRR could remain in Frontierland and with the river gone it’d just be a matter of putting some sort of division point between it and TBA, the latter being absorbed into a new area. They could even prevent a dead end by having the new area go around back behind where TBA and BTMRR are and letting that loop around to the new Frontierland/Villains Land transition point.

Schmidt

It’s not necessarily a bad thing. But I’ve written a lot about why I think it might (might) be a bad thing in this specific situation, and I doubt anyone is clamoring for me to do a long rehash, lol. The gist is pretty much this - I think that maybe (maybe) the vibe and style of Cars is wrong for this area. It’s putting a go kart track in Cape May, vibe-wise. Maybe I’m wrong, maybe I’ll be surprised. But that’s my concern.

I don’t think it was just the ride, I believe there was a village planned as well.

Time will tell. I get it. Willing to wait it out though. This one has a lot of potential and at the very least it’s a new innovative idea. Hopefully they can execute on it.

Like I said Coco was another Soarin, even with the land the scale is not on the same scale of cars .

DisneyHead123

Time will tell. I get it. Willing to wait it out though. This one has a lot of potential and at the very least it’s a new innovative idea. Hopefully they can execute on it.

Like I said Coco was another Soarin, even with the land the scale is not on the same scale of cars .

I’m not trying to be argumentative but I disagree that this is a new innovative idea. Car race / drive rides are one of the OG theme park rides. Which is fine, I have no issue with that - just saying I don’t think it’s particularly new.

My main concern is what this will do to the vibe and charm of that general area, but if I’m trying to look at the positive, it does seem like the Cars ride has a nature theme that could go in any number of directions. If they really build up the natural elements and focus on aesthetics, who knows? I have my worries but like you said, time will tell.

Chef idea Mickey`=

Wasn’t a Woody’s Roundup coaster proposed to go here at one point? Probably before Toy Story Land I would guess…
One of the most recent Rumors swirled of a Woody Cowboy attraction of sorts to go along with Cars and maybe Coco too. All three fit as a Desert Land next to Big Thunder. At the time a model of Ornamrnt Valley without the car pin roofs suggested it was RSR even if a bit different to go with the Desert Theme yet respecting the Frontierland environment.

Schmidt

I’m not trying to be argumentative but I disagree that this is a new innovative idea. Car race / drive rides are one of the OG theme park rides. Which is fine, I have no issue with that - just saying I don’t think it’s particularly new.

My main concern is what this will do to the vibe and charm of that general area, but if I’m trying to look at the positive, it does seem like the Cars ride has a nature theme that could go in any number of directions. If they really build up the natural elements and focus on aesthetics, who knows? I have my worries but like you said, time will tell.
No arguments here. I get where you are coming from.

It’s a whole new ride system with an off road experience that deals with elevation.
Its unique. This isn’t a clone.

Bocabear

No arguments here. I get where you are coming from.

It’s a whole new ride system with an off road experience that deals with elevation.
Its unique. This isn’t a clone.
That's great that it is new and not a clone and all, but at the end of the day it is just not a great fit for the park or the location...This would be a better match for Hollywood Studios where the anthropomorphic world would not be thrown directly into the heart of a historically themed area...mountain barrier or not...this is a terrible idea.

Chef idea Mickey`=

My main concern is what this will do to the vibe and charm of that general area, but if I’m trying to look at the positive, it does seem like the Cars ride has a nature theme that could go in any number of directions. If they really build up the natural elements and focus on aesthetics, who knows?
My main concern is the Cars themselves. Not their innovative tech and capabilities but the choice in their appearance. You wanna make a really cool blown away ride attraction, however this isn't California Adventure here, your nestled at Frontierland still. No matter how stunning the landscape is, if any particular way moment you were to see these vehicles doing their rag race with dust, yeah🫣 it's proven by the concept art, I would preferred it if you could ride on variety of Cars even those from RSR and not just these vehicles we don't know nothing about which alone reaks havoc and turmoil to the beautiful area no matter how charming and quaint it appears. These rough eyed lookin race cahoons wouldn't matter at Hollywood Studios or California Adventure. As if they dragged Liver Lips Bear and gave him a a a dragster red neck storm jacket and told him let's pollute this joint ASAP! Oh the travesty of this once charmed Liberty Bell and Island.😪🤤

JD80

That's great that it is new and not a clone and all, but at the end of the day it is just not a great fit for the park or the location...This would be a better match for Hollywood Studios where the anthropomorphic world would not be thrown directly into the heart of a historically themed area...mountain barrier or not...this is a terrible idea.

Splash mountain was full of animals wearing pants. Not to mention singing bears.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom