News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

DisneyHead123

That’s a fair question to ask! While I like Tiana’s and Galaxy’s Edge (I like the attractions of Toy Story Land but the land itself I don’t much care for), you’re right in that they didn’t earn the sort of universal acclaim that some other projects have.

I guess I am less nervous that it will turn out badly because they created something great with Cars once for one, and two they already have another land that they can model this off of (Grizzly Peak). If they marry the aesthetic beauty of Grizzly Peak with the charm and attention to detail of Cars Land I think that it’ll be fine.

The only part I’m concerned about is what steps they take (or don’t take) to actually achieve the conceptual justification of Cars in this area. That part is what they’re gonna have to sell me on. If they can successfully story wise justify it then I’ll be on board with the IP. At the moment, I’m just on board with the core concept of overhauling Frontierland into something more unique and wider in scope.

You’re significantly more optimistic than I am but, again, we’ll see! I differ in that I don’t feel Frontierland needed an overhaul, but have some common ground in that I am not 100% opposed to it on principle alone. As I’ve said before, my standard is that whatever replaces what they demolish should be a clear improvement, not a downgrade or even a lateral move.

Keep the river, and we can have boats, cars, and trains all interacting, criss-crossing through tunnels and over bridges.

That is Walt-ish, but that is expensive (and creative) and, so, will not happen.
Is this a good 👍 time to work on this adventure in the first place? The future can may be less expensive because of living costs. However, Disney is still so very exciting for everyone!

Animaniac93-98

The Rivers have had a target on them for awhile.

Which for a park with a long history of abandoned attraction and guest space makes it remarkable that its lasted this long.

It would have been very easy for Disney to shut down the whole island, not just Aunt Polly's, and let it sit there.

That its stayed open would suggest it has some value and gets some use. The Island is not open all day and night, which cuts down on staffing. It doesn't have elaborate effects that require constant upkeep or energy to use. It gives people a place to go to during mid-day crowds and the park doesn't have other play areas for older kids, or many walk throughs that different generations can enjoy together.

UNCgolf

I think this concept would be better if it wasn't a Cars attraction -- not because I am opposed to Cars in general, but because it feels like it's going to really limit what this specific planned ride can offer. A themed outdoor ride through beautiful scenery with some interesting show scenes could be a fantastic attraction, but adding the Cars IP removes a lot of options.

Animaniac93-98

I think this concept would be better if it wasn't a Cars attraction -- not because I am opposed to Cars in general, but because it feels like it's going to really limit what this specific planned ride can offer. A themed outdoor ride through beautiful scenery with some interesting show scenes could be a fantastic attraction, but adding the Cars IP removes a lot of options.

This is a side effect of the IP mandate. An idea that has potential on paper becomes restricted by the in universe logic of the source material. In this case, a world without humans or their history and a wilderness shaped like car parts.

TomboyJanet

So is their thinking here "Route 66 is so old now it's part of the old west?" Are the 1960s now considered the old west era? I just can't begin to understand the thought process. It's like six flags putting batman in it's wild west area. I don't even understand how they will stifle the noise enough to not make the old west area sound like a tourist attraction on a freeway.

The atmosphere was perfect before, as the Haunted Mansion here is "Hudson river style" it sat on a river of America. The Liberty Belle seemed to tour all kinds of old Americana historic feelings. This also is the superior TSI with the fort.

No matter how many times I look at the low rez renderings, I can't seem to understand what the area around CBJ is going to look like. I see it there but it looks like nothing else near it that doesn't look like a vague AI mash. I mean the smart thing to do would be to build buildings across from it to at least create a downtown western town area but no....they gotta put some bland things that I can't tell if they are snowy mountains or the comet ice from the old Star Tours, after falling in the river somehow.

I prob posted in this thread before but I can't find it, and I always mix up where I complained.

TomboyJanet

I agree. I think the problem is Disney doesn't have modern wild west ip that actually worked, at least the problem in the limited minds of the current team. I would have gone with Western River If I had to choose. That thing SERIOUSLY needs to be made. A boat ride with bandits and dynamite and canyons and stuff that's not something you can really find. Knott's comes close with Timber Mountain, and there was once a bugs bunny ride like that in Six Flags Over Texas I think, but I can't think of anything else. There is no reason why they shouldn't build it except for their current obsession with IP. Disney used to stand above Universal because it created original attractions without IP needed, but still created an atmosphere all of their own. The S.E.A. Thing was so promising but where did they take it?

Incomudro

So is their thinking here "Route 66 is so old now it's part of the old west?" Are the 1960s now considered the old west era? I just can't begin to understand the thought process. It's like six flags putting batman in it's wild west area. I don't even understand how they will stifle the noise enough to not make the old west area sound like a tourist attraction on a freeway.

The atmosphere was perfect before, as the Haunted Mansion here is "Hudson river style" it sat on a river of America. The Liberty Belle seemed to tour all kinds of old Americana historic feelings. This also is the superior TSI with the fort.

No matter how many times I look at the low rez renderings, I can't seem to understand what the area around CBJ is going to look like. I see it there but it looks like nothing else near it that doesn't look like a vague AI mash. I mean the smart thing to do would be to build buildings across from it to at least create a downtown western town area but no....they gotta put some bland things that I can't tell if they are snowy mountains or the comet ice from the old Star Tours, after falling in the river somehow.

I prob posted in this thread before but I can't find it, and I always mix up where I complained.
We're not getting the Route 66 of Radiator Springs.
I wish we were - and that it was behind Big Thunder.
We're getting a Rallye Race that doesn't occur in Cars.

Chef idea Mickey`=

The only part I’m concerned about is what steps they take (or don’t take) to actually achieve the conceptual justification of Cars in this area. That part is what they’re gonna have to sell me on. If they can successfully story wise justify it then I’ll be on board with the IP
We're not getting the Route 66 of Radiator Springs.
I wish we were - and that it was behind Big Thunder.
We're getting a Rallye Race that doesn't occur in Cars.
Part of me doesn't know how this will sell on The Cars feeling.

Looking at the concept art it looks like it's all outside with just a few shacks for souvenirs or food service. If it rains and even knowing doesn't last long here I feel it will make people runaway from there. In DCA you wouldn't have to your in the town setting of the movie, you can hang at Flo's or the many stores fronts. If it were to storm at night how dark would it be.. it's not neon lights of the ambience of Radiator Spring's.

I truly hope it end result would better off than if Disneyland finally brought a Frozen experience except it's a Land off the woods in Frozen II which would be odd contrast to The filmtastic setting of The World of Arendale provides with lights, scenic atmosphere and backdrop landscape recognizable and beloved.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
HM, Mississippi paddle boats, CBJ, and Splash were never Old West.

The use of the word "Frontier" is a distortion of what it normally means.

If the land was called "Americana" or "American Adventure" there wouldn't be so many people setting their hair on fire over the theming.

FettFan

I agree. I think the problem is Disney doesn't have modern wild west ip that actually worked, at least the problem in the limited minds of the current team. I would have gone with Western River If I had to choose. That thing SERIOUSLY needs to be made. A boat ride with bandits and dynamite and canyons and stuff that's not something you can really find. Knott's comes close with Timber Mountain, and there was once a bugs bunny ride like that in Six Flags Over Texas I think, but I can't think of anything else. There is no reason why they shouldn't build it except for their current obsession with IP. Disney used to stand above Universal because it created original attractions without IP needed, but still created an atmosphere all of their own. The S.E.A. Thing was so promising but where did they take it?

FIIIIIIRE IN THE HOOOOOOLLLLE!

JSouth25

I think Western River Expedition would absolutely be a hit. Not only would it be an original attraction that fits perfectly in Frontierland, but I think that the success of the Red Dead Redemption video game series in recent years proves that modern audiences still care a lot about cowboys/bandits & Wild West stories.

James Alucobond

It's based on the version of Yellowstone from Planes, which is in the same universe as Cars. No Route 66 is involved.

EricsBiscuit

I think Western River Expedition would absolutely be a hit. Not only would it be an original attraction that fits perfectly in Frontierland, but I think that the success of the Red Dead Redemption video game series in recent years proves that modern audiences still care a lot about cowboys/bandits & Wild West stories.
I don’t think they realize RDR2 made over $725 million in its first weekend! The Wild West sells. Disney just doesn’t see that.

Mr. Sullivan

I wonder how much or little of the attraction you’ll see from pathways. Like I said, the environment they’re setting it in is perfect. Exactly what Frontierland needs actually. What I’ve wanted to see there for years! The Frontier is so much more than the rocks and dirt and dust of cowboys.

But the integration of the vehicles themselves into that scenery is what my biggest question is right now because that alters that scenery some. It looks fairly hidden in the artwork, and if so that’s perfect, but I also wonder how practical that is.

KDM31091

This is why I hate the IP mandate. The Imagineers cannot create truly original, awesome attractions because they are hamstrung by the IP and the storyline.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom