News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

kevlightyear

So if they're keeping the Liberty Belle launch platform, does that mean it's the entrance to the new ride?

Edit: no, after looking more closely the entrance is clearly toward the middle of the artwork. So what will the launch building be used for?

Last edited:

lentesta

Premium Member
I've been on these forums for many years, and this is the saddest news I've heard from Disney.

Tom Sawyer's Island is the only Walt Disney World attraction designed by Walt Disney. Its trees and caves are much needed respite for over-heated, over-stimulated kids. It is a refreshing escape from the Disney Genie rat race, long queues, sun-baked concrete, crowds, etc.

There's an argument to be made for Carousel of Progress.

Even more importantly, the Rivers of America are key to the vibe of Liberty Square and Frontierland. The river gives that whole side of the park desperately-needed room to breathe. It helps make Magic Kingdom livable and is key to the area's story. The Rivers of America are Frontierland's wilderness. Without the Rivers of America, Frontierland's theme disintegrates.

The original concept of Frontierland is problematic for a number of reasons: slavery and racism, the treatment of native Americans; women largely didn't have the right to vote. It would be incredibly difficult for Disney to develop a new story in that context. We got 70+ years out of the idea. Let's be happy with that.

Liberty Square's days are numbered. And this is not the morning for me to get banned from this board for explaining why.

I thought Disney had learned to appreciate the importance of water; they're totally reconfiguring Adventure World f/k/a Disney Studios Paris around a new lake. Now, they're replacing Magic Kingdom's main water feature with a cars land? I don't get it.

I'm hopeful the water features mostly stay. I think they learned their lesson with Galaxy's Edge.

lightningtap347

I visit TSI every visit to mk and I can count on one hand the amount of times I've seen more than ten people on the island.

I love it, but let's be real here. This wasn't long for this world. I had previously said that they should have changed TSI to a purpose built Tiana attraction set in an actual bayou, and then rethemed splash to some other frontier theme (Western River Expedition?)

It's clear regardless though that they don't care about what they're putting where, and that their generally scared of using anything but IP that has already been proven to be popular.

There are multiple original ideas and even IP (Brother Bear) that would fit even better here, but they don't care about that, they just want to shove stuff haphazardly in a panicked manner. Regardless, removing the IP - I love the idea of the attraction (as it's just a reskin of an original idea).

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
What we’re losing, however, is breathing room, and that isn’t unimportant either. Not every inch of “unused” space needs to be filled; in as crowded an environment as the Magic Kingdom, a bit of visual and spatial respite from all the busyness is a wonderful thing.
Hm, I think I agree in theory, but in my gut I just view Magic Kingdom as a lost cause in that respect. "Peace and quiet" is not something that I consider viable at MK, so I don't mind them YOLO'ing as much as they can cram into the gates.

Brian

Maybe if they get enough blowback on social media and through guest emails, they'll pivot the plans to include more water than they originally planned for or shown in today's concept art. Even just keeping a small section along the existing boardwalk (from the boat dock to Tiana's) would go a long way.

zann285

For me it's not TSI, it's the river, the views, the pacing of it all. Gone.
This kind of reminds me of Harmonious, destroying a lot of the vibes in the heart of the park. At least with Harmonious, I could kind of look away from them in World Showcase, and I knew they'd leave one day (sooner than I thought even!). But this new Cars thing will rip out the quiet spots to chill while waiting for a table at Liberty Tree or the scenic docks and replace it with "offroad" Cars zooming past. A huge overall downgrade to the park experience.

zipadee999

View attachment 808590
So yellow is confirmed Cars. I'm assuming Villians will be approximately somewhere in blue? Only that small portion of ROA will remain, any hope they move the Belle up there (even if it is docked)?
They couldn’t have removed the blue section and left us the yellow section? Frontierland and Liberty Square are designed to be along a waterfront area. Removing that water will extremely disrupt the flow and design of those areas, leaving them as an awkward, concrete wasteland. The back section cannot even be seen from those areas anyways, it’s a wonder why they didn’t just take that area and leave us the front portion so those lands still retain the waterfront nature they were designed with.

Not to mention the negative effect this will have on the mansion. The WDW mansion has possibly the best setting of any mansion, as it’s set on a hill perfectly at the bend of the river. It’s intimidating and commands attention from the entire area. Removing the waterfront will make our mansion look like Tokyo’s; shoehorned into a random concrete wasteland with no world-building or setting outside of the attraction gates.

I think that the railroad is the real thing to blame here. The best option would have been to reroute the railroad ala Disneyland and slightly shorten yet retain the rivers. Rerouting the railroad would have allowed them to access more land BBT like Disneyland did to get more space for Galaxy’s Edge. However, that takes money that Disney likely doesn’t want to spend for something that would retain a superior, more pleasant park, but likely not pack in more guests. Removing the river allows Disney to build the Cars attractions and sell more tickets because of them in the cheapest way possible, regardless of how it negatively impacts the rest of the park.

Unfortunately, here’s how Disney views it IMO:

Reroute train, shorten river, build cars: Build cars for more money

Remove rivers of America and TSI, anger fans, build cars: Build cars for less money

Disney doesn’t care about the feelings of the fans anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom