News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Especially when you have the reputation you have on this forum.
Season 6 Aww Shucks GIF by Friends

Dunston

So no wonder they neglected to mention where the hell Cars Land is going during Mater’s hilarious Zoom call at the keynote. They were too cowardly to even show this map until the whole convention was over! If they know this decision is so unpopular they have to push it back and push it back to avoid potential backlash, why do it at all??

CJR

This one is probably the hardest announcement for me to digest. I love certain aspects of these changes and hate others.

Losing TSI is going to be very hard. I'll admit, we rarely go over there, but it's always appreciated, even from afar.

I do like that there won't be a dead end at BTMRR anymore, but I was still hoping for some river area. To top off my negativity, it looks like another ride area designed for California's weather, in Florida. This area will shut down in the rain, and by the looks of it, 100% of it, attraction-wise. At least the rumored Coco ride would have been indoors.

When the weather's nice, I'm sure these will be pretty fun.

More news and concept art - it is going in Rivers of America and Tom Sawyer Island:

View attachment 808572

It’s time to leave Radiator Springs and head west into exciting new locations. To make way for this completely new frontier, the Rivers of America and Tom Sawyer Island will be transformed into vast and rugged terrains for a rally race with some of the world’s most iconic racers.

“We are thrilled to create this original Cars adventure and put our guests in the driver’s seat as we—quite literally—explore a new frontier in Frontierland,” shared Michael Hundgen, Walt Disney World Portfolio Executive Producer at Walt Disney Imagineering. “Part of pioneering this new story includes tapping into the themes of exploration and adventure that inspire so many of us to keep propelling forward. Anytime we touch Magic Kingdom, we recognize the massive responsibility that exists to get it right and tell stories that connect with our guests.”

The new area will bring you along for the ride (pun intended) with a brand-new thrilling rally race through the mountains, climbing trails, and dodging geysers, in addition to a second attraction geared towards fun for the whole family.

The new area will bring you along for the ride (pun intended) with a brand-new thrilling rally race through the mountains, climbing trails, and dodging geysers, in addition to a second attraction geared towards fun for the whole family.

Ahead of work revving into high gear next year, guests will have plenty of time to experience the charm and nostalgia of Frontierland as it is today.

And cruising just around the bend, guests will be able to venture Beyond Big Thunder Mountain into an all-new land dedicated to Disney Villains. Inspired by the wicked characters fans know and loathe, the multi-acre expansion will include two major attractions, plus dining and shopping. Walt Disney Imagineering is pushing creative boundaries to dark and mysterious levels to bring this new, first-of-its-kind land to life.

Together, these new additions to Magic Kingdom will represent the largest expansion in park history.

I've been on these forums for many years, and this is the saddest news I've heard from Disney.

Tom Sawyer's Island is the only Walt Disney World attraction designed by Walt Disney. Its trees and caves are much needed respite for over-heated, over-stimulated kids. It is a refreshing escape from the Disney Genie rat race, long queues, sun-baked concrete, crowds, etc.

Even more importantly, the Rivers of America are key to the vibe of Liberty Square and Frontierland. The river gives that whole side of the park desperately-needed room to breathe. It helps make Magic Kingdom livable and is key to the area's story. The Rivers of America are Frontierland's wilderness. Without the Rivers of America, Frontierland's theme disintegrates.

I thought Disney had learned to appreciate the importance of water; they're totally reconfiguring Adventure World f/k/a Disney Studios Paris around a new lake. Now, they're replacing Magic Kingdom's main water feature with a cars land? I don't get it.

I was hopeful about the expansion beyond Big Thunder Mountain. I thought Disney would do something similar to Disneyland, shortening the river but retaining its essential character. Instead we get this. What a sad day for Magic Kingdom.

AndyS2992

Seeing the artwork, I'm not sure what to think. TSI and ROA are a huge waste of space and putting an attraction on that space is fine by me, however the river adds atmosphere, ambience and a nice change from nothing but concrete elsewhere. I hope the Cars ride does incorporate water and a little river somehow.

sWANNISAX

getting rid of the river is a huge mistake visually. keeping it along side the mansion and having this where the island is i could probably get on board wish but this seems ridiculous. i thought they claimed there was so much space beyond big thunder. what happened to it? that concept art from two years ago showed it all wrapped around the river. oare the two villains rides really going to take all of it? having. some water in that area makes it unique. i like the idea of the part of frontier land looking more appalachian and transitioning westward but how big thunder feels more lost.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom