News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

doctornick

Mostly agree with this.

It's a radical move and the park is going to lose part of its classic ambiance, but RoA in WDW is a copy and will still exist in CA. If they tried to remove it at Disneyland I'd be a bit more up in arms.

I'm not even sure I understand this logic. It's okay to crap all over WDW because DL came first?

WDW has a boatload of space, but has to lose the RoA while DL that is constrained on all sides manages to build a giant land on the north of their river without any issue. Utterly incompetent by Disney.

It's so ridiculous how WDW which is the big money maker for parks is constantly treated like a second (or third?) class citizen

KDM31091

This to me is insane especially because there is ample room behind the river, so there’s no reason to even do this. Other than being cheap and lazy. Eliminating another beautiful area of the park.

I understand the need for change and progress, but to not maintain even a fraction of the water is horrible.

They don’t care about the setting, placemaking, or atmosphere. Just shove IP in everywhere at all costs. This is a big cost. The park will never be the same.

Even if the railroad isn’t being rerouted I’m sure it will be closed for years anyway as they wouldn’t want us seeing the construction.

lentesta

Premium Member
I'm a little nervous that major E-ticket attractions are actually going to draw in more new people than they help disperse, making things actually feel net-more-crowded, just literally having "more physical space to put people" will be good.

Oh, god - the park ops transportation and logistics are going to spawn a hundred research papers. It really will be a challenge.

easyrowrdw

I am 100% fine with Rivers of America going away for Cars Land:
  • Tom Sawyer Island and the Mark Twain Riverboat still exist in Disneyland
  • There's no clear "how to improve these" plan with those two attractions
  • Haunted Mansion's going to be the entrance to Villains Land anyway
  • It allows Disney to drop the Liberty Square concept for something else
That means Hall of Presidents goes away too. And that's also okay. It's the lowest-rated attraction in Walt Disney World for many age groups. It's politically charged. There's no path forward for the attraction as it is.

That said, if they wanted to do The Muppets American History show, I would love that.
Folks, we still have the originals in Disneyland. We're giving up a seldom-used copy for new(ish), more popular attractions. And we still have the entire north area for "Beyond Big Thunder."

We can argue about whether Cars belongs in Frontierland, and what "Frontierland" means. But on the whole, this is a net positive.
Ugh. These are awful opinions.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Too much news.

What’s the MGM news?
they seem actually serious about the Monsters Inc stuff…second behind dinoland (the rest not so much)…but they haven’t said where?

In an ideal world it’s in the cast parking lot or on an old warehouse…but this is not an ideal world.

Maybe they can put it onto of that dump concrete failed hotel?
If this happens, they really have lost the plot.

Good bye Magic Kingdom. You used to be good.
…I’m gonna fly over there and give you a big ole hug RIGHT NOW!!

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Liberty Square's days are numbered. And this is not the morning for me to get banned from this board for explaining why.
I had some hope that the pendulum might be swinging in the other direction on this. The American Adventure came out of its refurb unmolested. And the Spaceship Earth refurb, which was motivated by a lot of the reasoning you alluded to (have you seen the ride-through?), was abandoned.

doctornick

I know all the talk is about ROA at the moment, but wouldn't this give Disney the opportunity to either axe Tomorrowland Speedway or repurpose it? Seem redundant to have 2 car attractions in the same park.

Not really. Two different concepts entirely. The "draw" of the Speedway is driving you own car - being in control and all that.

I think the Speedway is bad and should be replaced, but it doesn't become redundant by this.

doctornick

As much as I hate to see the rivers of America and Tom sawyers Island go. I am excited for because let's be honest our ROA and TSI are by far the worst versions of them and most people will probably prefer this. Also there were massive issues with how people were going to back there without getting rid of the river boat. It looks like it'll still have a lot of water elements so hopefully it won't feel like a "concrete jungle".

Huh? I've only been in the domestic parks, but WDW is much better than DLR's. At least TSI. DL of course has more river traffic which is cool (and Fantasmic) but that's not intrinsic to the structure of the RoA or anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom