News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

el_super

Why not put this whole attraction in Animal Kingdom and have it be a Rallye Race through Serka Zong....that would maske as much sense as this...

But then what would replace the river in Magic Kingdom?

Disney's Frontierland depicts a time when the American West was still a frontier.

Maybe it shouldn't? That's what Disney is trying to solve for. They want a new theme for Frontierland.

They should consider just changing the name to something else so the fans will be happy.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
If this is the system they use, I wonder how Disney is going to run enough of them at a four seat capacity?
This is billed as a Rallye Race - as opposed to a rock crawl, and Rallye Races are fast.
I know fast is a relative term, but the ride would need some level of a brisk pace to convey what it is supposed to be.

That is really just a concept design, in theory it could be implemented on a larger vehicle.

celluloid

The same people who we see saying it fits the concept of Frontierland after many pages are now saying this changes the land and it is Disney's solve for it.

One is the same poster who said this is needed to lift attendance but for about a year has stated Disney does not wants less people in their parks.

el_super

The same people who we see saying it fits the concept of Frontierland after many pages are now saying this changes the land and it is Disney's solve for it.

Did I say it fits Frontierland? I've been pretty clear that the "rules" are Disney's to change. The goal of this project is to revitalize an aging dying concept of a theme park land and this project will absolutely do that and be a huge success. Whether it "fits" or not is pretty trivial.

One is the same poster who said this is needed to lift attendance but for about a year has stated Disney does not wants less people in their parks.

Huh? What does this even mean?

celluloid

The reality is that frontier land in current day magic kingdom have anything remotely to do with time period.

I think the country bears and splash mountain were proof of that.
Country Bear was a meta humor tribute to the time. About the time. Like many famous tributes to the time. Not really the same.
Mines and logging and many other things of splash evoked The American Frontier.

Incomudro

Frontier airlines mainly flies out west to Colorado, California, etc.

Frontierland is just about time and place as much as it about geography.

If we are solely talking about the environment switch over from roa to piston peak then it 100 percent matches the theme.

As far as modern cars racing thru a national forest that’s up for debate.
I'd have preferred Radiator Springs.

celluloid

Did I say it fits Frontierland? I've been pretty clear that the "rules" are Disney's to change. The goal of this project is to revitalize an aging dying concept of a theme park land and this project will absolutely do that and be a huge success. Whether it "fits" or not is pretty trivial
Theme Park Art and Design is wasting and has always wasted a lot of time and resources then.

And why are you so sure it will be a huge success? Why is that the only aspect and certain outcome you keep coming back to? Kind of a company line fella huh?

You always say Disney wants less people in your theme parks. How can you be sure this will do both bring more in and keep more put at the same time?

Why the heck did they ever build the TTC and resort loop? They waste so much time on placemaking and clearly it does not bring success and you said earlier there has never been moderation.

Last edited:

CoasterCowboy67

The mine opens in the 1850s, and eerie things begin happening immediately after construction. This includes trains running on their own. This is not when guests visit. Guests visit later after the eerie occurrences and disasters worsen, culminating in a flood that destroys the adjacent town, causing the miners to abandon it. The mines have just been reopened for exploration.
Where are you getting this from? And why does Disney’s website clearly make it seem like we are riding these eerie trains in the 1850s “soon after” their discovery, and not this supposed 40 years later?

CoasterCowboy67

I don't think too people consider the modern western regions as frontier anymore, considering it's all been explored and settled.
Except it’s not settled. The vast majority of land in the American west today is very much undeveloped. We can thank National Parks for part of that.

Unlike the East coast which has far more urban centers and suburban sprawl

You don’t think the average person who watches a show like Yellowstone, that takes place in modern times, and doesn’t feel the setting evokes the Frontier to them?

Where are you getting this from? And why does Disney’s website clearly make it seem like we are riding these eerie trains in the 1850s “soon after” their discovery, and not this supposed 40 years later?
There's a map in the queue that is clearly labeled as 1880 (google search "big thunder mountain queue map" for pics).

Big Thunder is the culmination of the chronological voyage of American history along the River from the 17th century beginning in Liberty Square to 1880s-90s in the farthest reaches of Frontierland at BTM.

TrainsOfDisney

They don’t need to just as they don’t need to justify why Jungle Cruise is next to Pirates despite taking place centuries apart
Pirates are long dead… hence the skeletons. The drop takes us back in time to see them.
The reality is that frontier land in current day magic kingdom have anything remotely to do with time period.

I think the country bears and splash mountain were proof of that.
It’s been advertised Tianas takes place one year after the movie - so 1920s is the established time for that attraction.

James Alucobond

The trains are not “discovered”. They were built as part of the mining operation in the 1850s and began sometimes mysteriously operating autonomously soon thereafter. The miners apparently ignored this to the extent that they could, but the flood that destroyed the town drove everyone out. During the ride, which was established as an exploratory attraction long after the disaster, the town is abandoned and decayed, many structures still half flooded. As others said, queue details give hints of this background and clues to the actual timeline, and I think other elements have been fleshed out in interviews over the years.

el_super

Theme Park Art and Design is wasting and has always wasted a lot of time and resources then.

No. The fans have wasted a lot of time thinking about it and trying to to make it fit into "rules" only they understand. The truth is: no one really cares about it. Not even going back to Walt. Looking at the river specifically the Columbia and Mark Twain, both added by Walt were chronologically separated by about 100 years. Somehow... it didn't matter though.

And why are you so sure it will be a huge success? Why is that the only aspect and certain outcome you keep coming back to?

Cars has always been hugely popular. When they added it to California Adventure (where it also didn't fit per the "rules") it was a smash hit.

You always say Disney wants less people in your theme parks. How can you be sure this will do both bring more in and keep more put at the same time?

The two goals are not mutually exclusive. You can raise prices to lower attendance and then add more attractions to justify higher prices. They certainly have a plan and it has been working so far.

Raineman

No. The fans have wasted a lot of time thinking about it and trying to to make it fit into "rules" only they understand. The truth is: no one really cares about it. Not even going back to Walt. Looking at the river specifically the Columbia and Mark Twain, both added by Walt were chronologically separated by about 100 years. Somehow... it didn't matter though.

Cars has always been hugely popular. When they added it to California Adventure (where it also didn't fit per the "rules") it was a smash hit.

The two goals are not mutually exclusive. You can raise prices to lower attendance and then add more attractions to justify higher prices. They certainly have a plan and it has been working so far.
I really don't think that raising prices to lower attendance is a strategy that Disney would use. They have continually raised prices over the last decade, as attendance has either stayed the same, or increased. What they want is full parks with guests that will pay more and more with each visit. They would have to raise the prices of park admission, resort rates, food prices and merch prices to an exorbitant amount if they still wanted to continue making more money with less people in the parks, to the point that the majority of their loyal customer base would stop coming.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom