News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

October82

They could.
They certainly would have in the past.
I think about how nice it is in the back of Canada at Epcot with all of the water.
I'm at a point now where I expect that kind of work and much as I expect a good Star Wars series out of Disney.
And that's a shame.
It's a shame that they broke me.
A very succinct summary of my feelings towards Disney at this point.

Tha Realest

Pirates at DL hasn't been a big winner. Disney hasn't put in a real 'play area' in a lifetime... and putting a few more low motion deer or wildlife figures hasn't been sufficient either.
Since the Parks division was taken over by merchandise/consumer products so many years ago, you know they view the parks as sales “heat maps” - setting aside all other considerations, especially nebulous ones like place setting and coherent theming - what does that square footage get you in terms of an investment? “Sales per square foot” is a very real thing; it’s why a land like SWGE has twice as many restaurants/dining/refreshment options as attractions, and twice as many shopping/retail options as restaurants/dining/refreshment options. Two rides + four dining/refreshment + eight shops is their Golden ratio.

TSI/ROA has none of these things, with the added cost of CM staffing and transportation staffing.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Since the Parks division was taken over by merchandise/consumer products so many years ago, you know they view the parks as sales “heat maps” - setting aside all other considerations, especially nebulous ones like place setting and coherent theming - what does that square footage get you in terms of an investment? “Sales per square foot” is a very real thing; it’s why a land like SWGE has twice as many restaurants/dining/refreshment options as attractions, and twice as many shopping/retail options as restaurants/dining/refreshment options. Two rides + four dining/refreshment + eight shops is their Golden ratio.

Well... the parks as Malls goes back to long before consumer products was brought into the same org. Really goes back to Pressler/Harris when they started really focusing metrics that way.

And I don't really subscribe to the evil behind such ratios. 1) They are needed 2) They need more because they aren't as big as a 1800 pph ride 3) They want to sell F&B and merch... not a shock. I'm not naive enough to believe it's gonna be a park full of rides and nothing else.

Guests already can't do everything... why would you double up spending on rides even more?

Quietmouse

Not when they are adding a ring of trees around the attraction because they don't feel cartoon cars jive with the rest of Frontierland and Liberty Square. That alone should tell them, "you know what? Maybe we should put this Beyond Big Thunder where we originally said."

But cartoonish bears singing folk songs do?

RSoxNo1

It doesn't look AI generated, but it looks cobbled together and "shopped."
This looks like Greg Pro art, usually this is layered on Photoshop. A great example of this is the Tropical Americas art where a layer of green covers 99% of the pink river that was revealed in the September 2023 concept art.

RSoxNo1

rise is such a well lit building with the path clearly marked on the floor there might as well be a track guide there.

Runaway and maybe rat (only rode it once so I can’t remember for sure) are a a little bit better with that.

Indy and Spider-Man have rise beat on the feeling of predictability.
The most complicated ride track / path for a trackless vehicle is Aquatopia.

Quietmouse

I mean unless the Bears are driving cars or planes in Frontierland. They are also contained inside a show building.

Okay, sure, but you could even extend that argument to splash mountain. Again, had very little to do with frontier land…

The ip itself isn’t the issue…frontier land by and large relies heavily on cartoonish characters to occupy its land.

I would say the modern cars are the issues. If they were old jalopies themed to cars then it would be fine.

RSoxNo1

all this 'trackless' chatter is crazy talk.

The idea that Disney would run a high speed multi-ton vehicle on OUTSIDE SURFACES as trackless vehciles with guests is pure fantasy. Would never happen with outside and with vehicles that want to run at like 30mph and up.

Go back to your drawing boards of how to give the BELIEF or impression of something trackless... because Rise and Pooh vehicles aren't going to be running in crazy uncontrolled environment of the florida outdoors. And certainly not with multiple vehicles in the same system.
Larger trackless vehicles are used at Reign of Kong and Fast and Furious. Speculation is that this is what they're using:

TrainsOfDisney

I would say the modern cars are the issues. If they were old jalopies themed to cars then it would be fine.
Correct - Tianas brought us into 1920’s. In 1927 the last Ford Model T was made and the first Model A was made. That’s the era of automobiles that would work in Frontierland.
1920’s is a little more modern than the original idea of Frontierland, but doesn’t directly clash with the story of Big Thunder, the riverboat etc.

Larger trackless vehicles are used at Reign of Kong and Fast and Furious.
If that’s what we are getting 😳😳😳

flynnibus

Premium Member
Larger trackless vehicles are used at Reign of Kong and Fast and Furious. Speculation is that this is what they're using:

Sorry, that video has been discussed at length. You'll see it in the next few pages of posts as you read.

And check back with me when you see Kong or F&F moving at any decent rate of speed that anyone would want to experience a thrilling outdoor car chase at :) or even running a vehicle anywhere close to another besides in a follow the leader fashion.

cheezbat

Hope not…this could be exceedingly unreliable and with Florida's weather could be an absolute nightmare for downtime and limited capacity.

It just doesn’t look all that fun to me either. If this is what we’re getting, just rip out the Speedway and put it over there instead.

mickEblu

More like I don't bother with debates over things that are made up...

We can be critical all we want when there is something actually there to judge with. This kind of critique based on what you think it will be... well.. pointless.

Hahah Made up? Did I draw the concept art myself? This is what everyone told me about TBA too. Pretty much nailed all those predictions among other predictions through the years but I’m not here to gloat.

Last edited:

CoasterCowboy67

Correct - Tianas brought us into 1920’s. In 1927 the last Ford Model T was made and the first Model A was made. That’s the era of automobiles that would work in Frontierland.
1920’s is a little more modern than the original idea of Frontierland, but doesn’t directly clash with the story of Big Thunder, the riverboat etc.

If that’s what we are getting 😳😳😳
Tiana’s time jump is about 70 years ahead of Big Thunder, which takes place in the 1850s. Cars takes us forward about the same amount (80 years) to the 2000s. Cars doesn’t clash with Frontierland any more than Tiana already clashes with Big Thunder

Meanwhile, Jungle Cruise and Pirates in Adventureland take place centuries apart without a problem. Same with Snow White in Fantasyland which takes place centuries before Winnie the Pooh

The lands manage just fine, and I can see how Cars will too

mickEblu

Okay, sure, but you could even extend that argument to splash mountain. Again, had very little to do with frontier land…

The ip itself isn’t the issue…frontier land by and large relies heavily on cartoonish characters to occupy its land.

I’m failing to see how cars driving around Frontierland compares to Splash Mountain? I think the IP is an issue as well but I’d be able to live with it all if it were tucked away behind BTMRR. What they re doing with Cars at MK would kind of be like if they put Galaxies Edge right on top of the ROA at DL instead of Beyond Big Bermie

Quietmouse

I’m failing to see how cars driving around Frontierland compares to Splash Mountain? I think the IP is an issue as well but I’d be able to live with it all if it were tucked away behind BTMRR. What they re doing with Cars at MK would kind of be like if they put Galaxies Edge right on top of the ROA at DL instead of Beyond Big Bermie

I think it’s a moot argument regardless.

They mentioned in the press release it will be a reimagining of frontier land.

My guess is tiana will be a part of a mini New Orleans district, and frontier land will be modernized to reflect todays vision of a frontier - which is open land, rural mountain town, wilderness and recreational vehicles.

I agree cars, with modernized cars doesn’t fit the theme of frontier land as it stand down. Likewise, I also think that Disney isn’t oblivious either and frontier lane as we know it will be modernized as a whole.

October82

I think it’s a moot argument regardless.

They mentioned in the press release it will be a reimagining of frontier land.

My guess is tiana will be a part of a mini New Orleans district, and frontier land will be modernized to reflect todays vision of a frontier - which is open land, rural mountain town, wilderness and recreational vehicles.

I agree cars, with modernized cars doesn’t fit the theme of frontier land as it stand down. Likewise, I also think that Disney isn’t oblivious either and frontier lane as we know it will be modernized as a whole.
The problem is they’ve given no indication they actually plan to do this. It’s just backstory marketing speak meant to appeal to parks fans like us, not an actual plan to change the MK in a way that makes sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom