News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

erasure fan1

The truth is: no one really cares about it. Not even going back to Walt.
Hard disagree on that one. Maybe you don't care about it. But it matters a lot more than you give it credit for. It's never been a tangible thing you can measure. But it's always been that silent differentiator. That said, will this new attraction make people up and leave Disney? Of course not. If the theming and art direction are good, and the ride is awesome, most normies will accept it. But the big elephant in the room is, can Disney pull it off. I'm not so sure.

Quietmouse

Southwest Air has a hub at a hub near Baltimore, and flies to NH, Puerto Rico, Seattle.

I didn't realize the name of Frontier Airlines makes where they fly part of the Frontier, or that Maryland is now a Southwestern state.

Exactly, so that’s why frontier airlines evokes Colorado the same way Southwest Airlines evokes Austin.

Raineman

Hard disagree on that one. Maybe you don't care about it. But it matters a lot more than you give it credit for. It's never been a tangible thing you can measure. But it's always been that silent differentiator. That said, will this new attraction make people up and leave Disney? Of course not. If the theming and art direction are good, and the ride is awesome, most normies will accept it. But the big elephant in the room is, can Disney pull it off. I'm not so sure.
If this is the new trend for new Disney theme park projects, then I, personally, might not ever be back, tbh. If parts of WDW that have been in place for decades continue to change or be removed, then that is not the WDW that I want to visit and spend my money on. I have no interest in visiting Only IP World. Having said that, I sincerely do hope that the people that like these changes continue to enjoy the parks. There are so many other places where I can spend my vacation dollars, and I look forward to doing that.

MickeyLuv'r

Except it’s not settled. The vast majority of land in the American west today is very much undeveloped. We can thank National Parks for part of that.

Unlike the East coast which has far more urban centers and suburban sprawl

You don’t think the average person who watches a show like Yellowstone, that takes place in modern times, and doesn’t feel the setting evokes the Frontier to them?
No.
Federal Land, yes. National Park, no.

The federal government manages 640 million acres. This land is held in trust for the American people, primarily managed by 4 agencies:
the National Park Service (NPS) - 84 million acres, 3.7% of the land
the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) -248 million acres,10.5% of all land
the United States Forest Service (USFS) =193 million acres, 8.5% of the land
the United States Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS)=95 million acres (3.9% of land) + 760 million acres of submerged lands and waters
A small share of federal land is managed by the Department of Defense and other agencies.
The remaining 199 million acres of public land is managed by state and local agencies =199 million acres, 8.7% of the country’s land.

Quietmouse

If this is the new trend for new Disney theme park projects, then I, personally, might not ever be back, tbh. If parts of WDW that have been in place for decades continue to change or be removed, then that is not the WDW that I want to visit and spend my money on. I have no interest in visiting Only IP World. Having said that, I sincerely do hope that the people that like these changes continue to enjoy the parks. There are so many other places where I can spend my vacation dollars, and I look forward to doing that.

The irony of saying that when Walt Disney built Disney land in order to promote his ips.

Raineman

The irony of saying that when Walt Disney built Disney land in order to promote his ips.
Please read my post again-I said "Only IP". Even opening day Disneyland was not all IP based attractions. Disney parks need IP, both classic and contemporary, but not every attraction needs to have an IP attached to it. There is a balance there that has been maintained for decades, but the scales have begun to tip towards IP. I have no problem if people like that and want to keep visiting, but it's not the kind of park that I want to keep visiting.

MickeyLuv'r

Having a water feature in AK, MK, Epcot, Sea World, and US/IoA adds something significant to all of them. Now that this is being discussed, I have always found something about HS to be a bit off-putting. It has a small water feature, but it is not as prominent as the ones in the other parks.

The water is a big part of what makes most of the Disney and Universal hotels relaxing. This includes all of the WDW deluxe resorts except AKL, all of the moderates, Pop, and AoA. At Universal: HRH, Porto, RP, SF, and Endless Summer.

CoasterCowboy67

No.
Federal Land, yes. National Park, no.

The federal government manages 640 million acres. This land is held in trust for the American people, primarily managed by 4 agencies:
the National Park Service (NPS) - 84 million acres, 3.7% of the land
the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) -248 million acres,10.5% of all land
the United States Forest Service (USFS) =193 million acres, 8.5% of the land
the United States Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS)=95 million acres (3.9% of land) + 760 million acres of submerged lands and waters
A small share of federal land is managed by the Department of Defense and other agencies.
The remaining 199 million acres of public land is managed by state and local agencies =199 million acres, 8.7% of the country’s land.
And what’s your point? The land is still undeveloped. I said National Parks was part of that, which is a fact as you just shared

celluloid

Cars has always been hugely popular. When they added it to California Adventure (where it also didn't fit per the "rules") it was a smash hit.
They gave starving people good chicken and called it a streak. Also, over a decade ago.compared to now.

See Cars 2 and 3. Not hugely popular, just not much else from Pixar in the parks since.

You are all.sorts.of wrong on putting design principles as.rules in quotes. Taste is subjective, hoaever there is an artform to it. Just because Disney has lowered its standards does not mean they just don't exist at times anymore.

TrainsOfDisney

The truth is: no one really cares about it. Not even going back to Walt. Looking at the river specifically the Columbia and Mark Twain, both added by Walt were chronologically separated by about 100 years. Somehow... it didn't matter though.
What is “it” - Imagineers write long paragraphs about cracks in sidewalk and 5 shades of white on a hotel.

Walt famously argued with Ward Kimble about fully enclosed cattle cars on the Disneyland Railroad - Walt wanted them to be 100% accurate and Ward suggested they have windows so guests could see.

MickeyLuv'r

Is there an example of a good ride that failed because it was put in the wrong area?
Oooh! I can answer this one!

YES!

A good number of long closed amusement parks had great rides. Knoebel's- a successful park- has a number of rides that have been moved from other parks that are now closed, plus some parks that are still open, like Kennywood.

The Phoenix (Rocket) was moved from anow closed park in TX, the carousel came from NJ, the Looper from MA, several came from Kennywood.

One ride that was especially in the wrong location is Knoebel's whip, which came from a long-closed amusement park in PA. Croop's Glen was located in a glen that collapsed. So 100%, the ride was formerly in the wrong area. The ride originally opened in 1915. How crazy is it that it is still in operation in 2024?

Schmidt

Hope not…this could be exceedingly unreliable and with Florida's weather could be an absolute nightmare for downtime and limited capacity.

It just doesn’t look all that fun to me either. If this is what we’re getting, just rip out the Speedway and put it over there instead.
Looks amazing too me! The application for something like this looks very broad. I’m pumped about this attraction, maybe not its location.
Amazeballs!

CoasterCowboy67

Pirates are long dead… hence the skeletons. The drop takes us back in time to see them.
90% of the ride we are in a vastly different century than Jungle Cruise. Time travel doesn’t erase that. Less than 1% of people who visit the park think to themselves “oh, weird this ride is such a different time that Jungle Cruise. But I get it — it’s because we’re just seeing ghosts”

You cannot expect a business to operate with that kind of thinking in mind

Schmidt

The problem is they’ve given no indication they actually plan to do this. It’s just backstory marketing speak meant to appeal to parks fans like us, not an actual plan to change the MK in a way that makes sense.
You are being dismissive just for the sake of being dismissive. Back marketing speak? Come on. Give this a minute to develop.

CoasterCowboy67

The trains are not “discovered”. They were built as part of the mining operation in the 1850s and began sometimes mysteriously operating autonomously soon thereafter. The miners apparently ignored this to the extent that they could, but the flood that destroyed the town drove everyone out. During the ride, which was established as an exploratory attraction long after the disaster, the town is abandoned and decayed, many structures still half flooded. As others said, queue details give hints of this background and clues to the actual timeline, and I think other elements have been fleshed out in interviews over the years.
Even if this is true, Disney is emphasizing the 1850s more than all this other detail about a flood and reopening. This is an 1850s mine, and next door is a 1920s band being formed. Decades time jump, which Cars is only continuing

I appreciate the detail, the point still stands Tiana is a time jump and Cars will be another

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom