News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

mickEblu

The problem is they’ve given no indication they actually plan to do this. It’s just backstory marketing speak meant to appeal to parks fans like us, not an actual plan to change the MK in a way that makes sense.

Exactly. They ll massage it how they want. The fact of the matter is they re dropping a Cars attraction in the middle of Frontierland. Seems like the imagineers know that it doesn’t work and are designing a ring of trees around it.

CoasterCowboy67

That’s not correct, the mining town was established in the 1850’s and was abandoned at the end of the gold rush. Hence the flooded remains of the town and the old dilapidated look of the railroad itself and the mining equipment.
No, you’re wrong. Here’s a screenshot of Disney’s own website describing the ride. “Soon after gold was first discovered here in the 1850s, eerie things began to happen”

LINK: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/magic-kingdom/big-thunder-mountain-railroad/

IMG_7499.png

CoasterCowboy67

The problem is they’ve given no indication they actually plan to do this. It’s just backstory marketing speak meant to appeal to parks fans like us, not an actual plan to change the MK in a way that makes sense.
They don’t need to just as they don’t need to justify why Jungle Cruise is next to Pirates despite taking place centuries apart

At D23 they made the point very clearly they are going for geographic and visual consistency, not time. I have no clue why people are fixated on time as if it’s a requirement this park has ever held to with any other land with the exception of Liberty Square maybe

SamusAranX

They don’t need to just as they don’t need to justify why Jungle Cruise is next to Pirates despite taking place centuries apart

At D23 they made the point very clearly they are going for geographic and visual consistency, not time. I have no clue why people are fixated on time as if it’s a requirement this park has ever held to with any other land with the exception of Liberty Square maybe
Because unlike adventure, which is a wide theming net and very elastic concept in terms of time, “frontier” in the public consciousness is not. Frontier in America has a very specific definition and place in time. Using your logic, they could put a ride exploring another galaxy in Frontierland as it’s [our universe] one of the last “frontiers” humanity has yet to physically explore

JD80

Larger trackless vehicles are used at Reign of Kong and Fast and Furious. Speculation is that this is what they're using:

Ive been going over this attraction in my brain and I've been wondering what kind of "track" they are using. It's an AGV so it needs to be following a path whether that is reflectors, magnetic tape, RFID, in ground wire guidance or digital via SLAM.

Would Disney use GPS positioning for their attractions?

AidenRodriguez731

Tiana’s time jump is about 70 years ahead of Big Thunder, which takes place in the 1850s. Cars takes us forward about the same amount (80 years) to the 2000s. Cars doesn’t clash with Frontierland any more than Tiana already clashes with Big Thunder

Meanwhile, Jungle Cruise and Pirates in Adventureland take place centuries apart without a problem. Same with Snow White in Fantasyland which takes place centuries before Winnie the Pooh

The lands manage just fine, and I can see how Cars will too
Just want to point out that CBJ was also in the 1920s. We know Grizzly Hall was built in 1898 and Ursus died in 1928 which we know happened before the show we see. Not to mention, Henry is Ursus's grandson. So we're almost certainly past the 1930s by the time he's an adult.

Incomudro

Ive been going over this attraction in my brain and I've been wondering what kind of "track" they are using. It's an AGV so it needs to be following a path whether that is reflectors, magnetic tape, RFID, in ground wire guidance or digital via SLAM.

Would Disney use GPS positioning for their attractions?
If this is the system they use, I wonder how Disney is going to run enough of them at a four seat capacity?
This is billed as a Rallye Race - as opposed to a rock crawl, and Rallye Races are fast.
I know fast is a relative term, but the ride would need some level of a brisk pace to convey what it is supposed to be.

ᗩLᘿᑕ ✨︎ ᗩζᗩᗰ

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
If this is the system they use, I wonder how Disney is going to run enough of them at a four seat capacity?
This is billed as a Rallye Race - as opposed to a rock crawl, and Rallye Races are fast.
I know fast is a relative term, but the ride would need some level of a brisk pace to convey what it is supposed to be.
"Rock crawl" doesn't have the alliteration needed to sell it as an attraction.

CoasterCowboy67

Because unlike adventure, which is a wide theming net and very elastic concept in terms of time, “frontier” in the public consciousness is not. Frontier in America has a very specific definition and place in time. Using your logic, they could put a ride exploring another galaxy in Frontierland as it’s [our universe] one of the last “frontiers” humanity has yet to physically explore
I disagree. I think you poll 100 Disney guests “what is the frontier?” and you’ll get more answers about a geography than a time

Space has nothing to do with the geography of the American frontier so not sure why you think that’d be consistent with my logic. I’m talking about wilderness West of the Mississippi, not the frontier as a vague concept

James Alucobond

No, you’re wrong. Here’s a screenshot of Disney’s own website describing the ride. “Soon after gold was first discovered here in the 1850s, eerie things began to happen”

LINK: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/magic-kingdom/big-thunder-mountain-railroad/

View attachment 813276
Yes, the 1850s are when eerie things began to happen, a result of the miners desecrating the mountain. A natural disaster later follows (flood at WDW’s version), and the town is subsequently abandoned. Still later, it is reopened for exploration. I think it’s usually said that the ride takes place in the 1890s or so, with all of those intervening events happening over the course of about 40 years.

Incomudro

I disagree. I think you poll 100 Disney guests “what is the frontier?” and you’ll get more answers about a geography than a time

Space has nothing to do with the geography of the American frontier so not sure why you think that’d be consistent with my logic. I’m talking about wilderness West of the Mississippi, not the frontier as a vague concept
I don't think too people consider the modern western regions as frontier anymore, considering it's all been explored and settled.
I believe most people consider a frontier to be a place that is beyond our reach, like space and the oceans.
(Yes, man has reached the deepest parts of the ocean, but it is still a great challenge - and still mostly unexplored.)
Disney's Frontierland depicts a time when the American West was still a frontier.

CoasterCowboy67

Yes, the 1850s are when eerie things began to happen, a result of the miners desecrating the mountain. A natural disaster later follows (flood at WDW’s version), and the town is subsequently abandoned. Still later, it is reopened for exploration. I think it’s usually said that the ride takes place in the 1890s or so, with all of those intervening events happening over the course of about 40 years.
Huh? Did you read the full description? The mine is already haunted with runaway trains upon its discovery in the 1850s, not later

I’m not going by fan fiction

James Alucobond

Huh? Did you read the full description? The mine is already haunted with runaway trains upon its discovery in the 1850s, not later

I’m not going by fan fiction
The mine opens in the 1850s, and eerie things begin happening immediately after construction. This includes trains running on their own. This is not when guests visit. Guests visit later after the eerie occurrences and disasters worsen, culminating in a flood that destroys the adjacent town, causing the miners to abandon it. The mines have just been reopened for exploration.

Quietmouse

Frontier airlines mainly flies out west to Colorado, California, etc.

Frontierland is just about time and place as much as it about geography.

If we are solely talking about the environment switch over from roa to piston peak then it 100 percent matches the theme.

As far as modern cars racing thru a national forest that’s up for debate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom