News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Most arguments with a few people here are hyperbolic, bombastic and quite frankly not even based in reality. It’s clear that they are here to spin narrative. After a few conversations you realize people have motives here.
1725282356072.jpeg

Disstevefan1

To this end, I feel like the Josh D’Amaro approach of announcing attractions once everything has been cleared feels much more slimy than just announcing them when they’re blue sky, as it gives the impression there’s no way we can change their minds and no way to tell when they’ll come about and replace things. (Still not as slimy as how they replaced ODL Scary Adventures at least, but maybe in the future they’ll go down to that level). It’s probably the sliminess of it all that has so many people angry.
I think what we normal rational folks see as slimy is TWDC standard operating procedure.

Plans will change over time just like they have recently done on other projects to cut costs.

We have no idea what we are going to end up with after they destroy and fill in the rivers of America until they take down the walls 8 to 10 years from now.

Schmidt

I think what we normal rational folks see as slimy is TWDC standard operating procedure.

Plans will change over time just like they have recently done on other projects to cut costs.

We have no idea what we are going to end up with after they destroy and fill in the rivers of America until they take down the walls 8 to 10 years from now.
Maybe not. To be fair this isn’t the same parks team responsible for Epcot or Tiana and the theme park industry is evolving. I think it’s a bit tone deaf to pretend like nothing is changing. Im NOT saying things are great, just saying I’m awaiting to see whether the results will be different. This seems like a more rationale approach.

Last edited:

JD80

Correct- autonomous vehicles are even MORE advanced. The point was just because this has been ‘seen’ in a real demo doesn’t make it viable for the situation at hand…. Just like autonomous and ‘self driving’ vehicles are a thing - that doesn’t make them Disney theme park attraction ready.

How many autonomous mobile robots have you deployed that put a dozen or so lives at risk in case of a single system failure? How many have you designed that will actually carry loads on free range platform in excesses of 30mph?

I think you can agree the standards change when the system is not just playing with risk of injury- but risk to customers and the escalation of potential serious harm.

Robots I've deployed transport several tons of material through mix traffic of manually driven vehicles and pedestrians on foot for hundreds of feet, 24/7. They are quite safe. If this will be a trackless system, nothing will be moving 30 mph though. I can see a mixed design where it runs on a track "indoors" and go fast and then go trackless for "off roading".

Autonomous vehicles are a thing in a Disney themepark. All the tech in Remy/MMRR/Rise is all the same.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Robots I've deployed transport several tons of material through mix traffic of manually driven vehicles and pedestrians on foot for hundreds of feet, 24/7.

At what.., walk/crawl speeds right? I mean the kinds of applications you are talking about are well understood and deployed in all kinds of manufacturing, mining, and distribution applications and have been in various forms for decades. From earlier guide wire systems to more modern free range platforms. Yet… those kinds of systems aren’t in theme park rides like this. Because the requirements are not the same.

The point is still the same. Application One does not equate to application two… in neither technology nor safety expectations.

Autonomous vehicles are a thing in a Disney themepark. All the tech in Remy/MMRR/Rise is all the same.

Do you know if they are on a shared control system verse just a shared dispatch/overwatch? Ie are they really autonomous verse simply wireless with some level of onboard execution management?

EricsBiscuit

Disney Fandom: The parks need more C and D Ticket rides.

Also Disney Fandom: This is rubbish because it's not an E Ticket ride!!!
If you’re gonna replace the RoA, it needs to be with a dang good ride. Here it looks like they’ll have a b or c ticket for kids. But the main attraction doesn’t look like it’ll have many dark ride show scenes or the thrilling parts of RSR which make that attraction so great.

Chef idea Mickey`=

Most arguments with a few people here are hyperbolic, bombastic and quite frankly not even based in reality. It’s clear that they are here to spin narrative. After a few conversations you realize people have motives here.
What are they saying? So many for and against that I don't know which ones are at the moment.

Chef idea Mickey`=

Is it not an E Ticket ride because it's not RSR? Is RSR an E Ticket ride? I didn't know you could tell if something is E Ticket or not without knowing it a brand new ride attraction which we still don't even know the ride system. Will Encanto be an E Ticket because it's Encanto?

Gusey

I think we've reached that point when people are complaining about aspects of the attraction we do't know yet because it's not open, let alone started construction. We don't know what the ride system will be yet, or how many show scenes there will be. All we know is that it will be race rally themed attraction based on the Cars franchise, replacing Tom Sawyer Island and the Rivers of America. We can speculate but the fact is we don't know all the details yet, so let's not start complaining about the unknown.

FettFan

They literally did though? "Reimagined part of Frontierland" The new message for Frontierland is not about a specific period in time but about the place and the idea of exploring the American Wilderness + "Pioneering" your own path which even if you don't like it, is a theme that fits all of the attractions currently part of the new Frontierland.

It honestly sounds like backwards justification.

FettFan

I don’t think you’d have the same pushback if this were replacing Tomorrowland Speedway and being built outside the berm.

It would also finally confirm the fan theory of the Cars franchise takes place in a post-apocalyptic future in which vehicles have purged the world of all humanity Maximum Overdrive-style.

1725291930679.jpeg

Disstevefan1

Maybe not. To be fair this isn’t the same parks team responsible for Epcot or Tiana and the theme park industry is evolving. I think it’s a bit tone deaf to pretend like nothing is changing. Im NOT saying things are great, just saying I’m awaiting to see whether the results will be different. This seems like a more rationale approach.
Maybe not. I guess all we can do is wait and see.

I can only go on what the leadership has allowed to happen. I know it’s very easy to blame everything on Chapek and the pandemic, but how many years are they going to get out of that excuse.

Who knows, maybe I will happily be proven wrong 8 to 10 years from now when they are finished doing whatever they are going to try to do in the rivers of America.

The Mom

Premium Member
I think we've reached that point when people are complaining about aspects of the attraction we do't know yet because it's not open, let alone started construction. We don't know what the ride system will be yet, or how many show scenes there will be. All we know is that it will be race rally themed attraction based on the Cars franchise, replacing Tom Sawyer Island and the Rivers of America. We can speculate but the fact is we don't know all the details yet, so let's not start complaining about the unknown.
Ah, but that's the fandom way. Complain about an attraction/movie/series before seeing the final product. Sometimes the complaints turn out to be valid, sometimes not.

JD80

At what.., walk/crawl speeds right? I mean the kinds of applications you are talking about are well understood and deployed in all kinds of manufacturing, mining, and distribution applications and have been in various forms for decades. From earlier guide wire systems to more modern free range platforms. Yet… those kinds of systems aren’t in theme park rides like this. Because the requirements are not the same.

The point is still the same. Application One does not equate to application two… in neither technology nor safety expectations.

Do you know if they are on a shared control system verse just a shared dispatch/overwatch? Ie are they really autonomous verse simply wireless with some level of onboard execution management?

They aren't autonomous because they arent making routing decisions independantly.

The hardware is practically the same though.

As for my equipment, full speed is 4.5 mph. I know you're googling things but this is my profession. The only thing modern robotic ride vehicles can do without a physical track is go very fast. Though there are new SICK safety rated equipment that allows for faster speeds. I doubt that would be used outdoors.

Again I very much doubt this whole attraction is trackless if they want to do any speedy thrills. Speed would be the limiting factor.

ᗩLᘿᑕ ✨︎ ᗩζᗩᗰ

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
For every "complaint" there's equal praise (sometimes blind-praise) for the unknown as well. Nothing is validated until the final product is revealed. Yet, critiques regardless of where they fall on the spectrum should still be allowed and at any stage of development. The Splash conversion to Tiana was/is a great example. Instant praise and Instant condemnation. And what of the final product...

Would be bias and dismissive to assume a criticism isn't worthy of discussion simply because it's a complaint. We are after all a discussion forum. Discourse should be encourage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom