News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Nickm2022

Anyone else wondering about ride systems? I know the concept art is very vague but I do wonder if these cars are somehow trackless (ie, not Test Track or RSR). It would be really cool to feel like the car itself is driving you through the American Wilderness.

I also wonder what the kids ride is because in my head I was thinking Speedway but since its the same park I wonder if it's a new version of the Baymax/Mater ride but with cool animatronics as seen in the concept art

CoasterCowboy67

Interesting. Which specific transitions would you say are more abrupt at Disneyland compared to Magic Kingdom?

I’ll agree on the castle. That is definitely a point for MK.
The whole left side of the park. Adventureland to New Orleans & Frontier and New Orleans to Critter Bayou Country. The treehouse to pirates and river belle and diamond horseshoe. The lands are just all small

MK has a larger / longer Adventure & Frontierland in much of the same area, with a very subtle transition around Pecos. Liberty Square is as small as those lands, but transitions much more naturally from Frontierland

Quietmouse

And why do you think that is?

Why does MK lose the things DLR still has? Why have entertainment and character meet and greets been reduced to the bare minimum? Why did all the unique stores close? Why has the park gone long stretches without major investment? Why is there abandoned retail and dining space? Why did they never finish what they started with Tomorrowland? Why is attraction show quality so bad?

The Magic Kingdom just needing to be good enough to get people in the door is the result of a permanent change in mindset that has lasted for decades now.

It should be exciting and wonderful that the park is getting attention, but it misses what made the park in the first place.

This is a very hyperbolic take and you know it.

TrainsOfDisney

Tony Baxter has worked on all the classic castle parks and describes (I’m loosely paraphrasing) Disneyland as the most charming, WDW Magic Kingdom as the most grand-scale, and Disneyland Paris as the most beautiful.

I think that’s accurate. Disneyland is filled with charm and history - Magic Kingdom is grand scale and elaborate. I’ve yet to visit Paris but I’m betting it’s the perfect balance of both.

Animaniac93-98

I think that’s accurate. Disneyland is filled with charm and history - Magic Kingdom is grand scale and elaborate. I’ve yet to visit Paris but I’m betting it’s the perfect balance of both.

In simple terms, yes, but what DLP does better than either is its rich layering of detail throughout and having so many things to discover beyond the rides and major shows.

Even when the weather is less than ideal, it's still beautiful to just walk around and be there.

lazyboy97o

In simple terms, yes, but what DLP does better than either is its rich layering of detail throughout and having so many things to discover beyond the rides and major shows.

Even when the weather is less than ideal, it's still beautiful to just walk around and be there.
And was enough of a contemporary corporate project that it’s “inefficiencies” are well documented as deliberate design decisions that cannot just be tossed off as mistakes of the past.

Chef idea Mickey`=

Was it fully cleared and planned though? I was kinda upset for the opposite reason… I was under the impression that they said “Let’s do Coco Village wait too expensive jk let’s switch to Cars at the last possible second.”
To me, that gives the impression that not a lot of thought was put into this and they kind of spun the Wheel Of IP to see what would replace an iconic American landmark. If they’re replacing it I’d rather think painstaking pre-planning and design happened.
The first concept art with Encanto in it I always saw it as Beyond Big Thunder because of the Beyond Headline. However since the Cars announcement and concept map I have looked back on the first one and saw it for the first time as the Coco Village and the Encanto Casita as on ROA and TSI as like your viewing the area from Pecus Bill. It makes sense then that you see Villains Land looming behind even though you can't see HM.

Would we rather a Coco Village and Encanto South American plot in Frontierland or would we rather the Cars one(?)

October82

Tony Baxter has worked on all the classic castle parks and describes (I’m loosely paraphrasing) Disneyland as the most charming, WDW Magic Kingdom as the most grand-scale, and Disneyland Paris as the most beautiful.

It's also very easy to get to/from the center of Paris. Very well worth adding a day to your trip if you're a Disney Parks fan.

(I wouldn't add a second day for "Disney Adventure World" until Lion King splash mountain opens - the best attractions there exist in some form at WDW and the park doesn't offer much on its own)

Chef idea Mickey`=

Was it fully cleared and planned though? I was kinda upset for the opposite reason… I was under the impression that they said “Let’s do Coco Village wait too expensive jk let’s switch to Cars at the last possible second.”

To me, that gives the impression that not a lot of thought was put into this and they kind of spun the Wheel Of IP to see what would replace an iconic American landmark. If they’re replacing it I’d rather think painstaking pre-planning and design happened.
They were actually debating between Coco or Cars in the end run and Cars won it over for best return in finance investment. My guess to why they couldn't keep both well the two opposite theming unless they went with the Desert Land idea. However with the Desert Land idea would worked beyond big Thunder in a grander scale for the scale that Cars Land would need alone of itself it just wouldn't work both together on the ROA plot.

Coco was meant to share with Encanto and Encanto being a big deal I think they were stuck with Coco by itself at the end of the day.

I feel honestly just like Villains Land and the Monster's Door Coaster, This Cars implementation all three in 2024 is just in revelation existence in a response with what is happening over at Universal with Epic Universe. The pressure to bring a sense of thrill fun that Donkey Kong Mine Cart, and even the family How to Train Your Dragon coaster is what is parallel in this along with a response to Dark Universe of course! It's throwing old past ideas from the vault and an older IP from Cars that why hasn't this been brought forth after Cars Land success in 2012.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
As large as GE... that's 14 acres. What else is 14 acres...

1725248084040.png

TrippedUp

Anyone else wondering about ride systems? I know the concept art is very vague but I do wonder if these cars are somehow trackless (ie, not Test Track or RSR). It would be really cool to feel like the car itself is driving you through the American Wilderness.

I also wonder what the kids ride is because in my head I was thinking Speedway but since its the same park I wonder if it's a new version of the Baymax/Mater ride but with cool animatronics as seen in the concept art
Best guess currently is its this: https://dynamicattractions.com/products/darkrides/#AGVT

TrainsOfDisney

Would we rather a Coco Village and Encanto South American plot in Frontierland or would we rather the Cars one(?)
That comes to personal preferences of course, but for me - if we were going to lose the island and riverboat no matter what -

1st choice Encanto dark ride and Coco Dark Ride (dark ride could also be boat ride).

2nd choice Encanto or Coco Dark ride along with flat ride

3rd choice Cars

4th choice Coco simulator / Soarin ride.

3 & 4 are tough cause coco is a better fit for the area but a physical ride like cars is better than a Soarin type of simulator ride.

mickEblu

Anybody else get D ticket in E tickets clothing vibes with this Cars Ride? Kind of feels like Smugglers Run to me in that way. I see a ride that will most likely not even be as thrilling as RSR (and RSR isn’t all that thrilling) with fewer indoor show scenes. Seems like it’ll be light on the dark ride component. Even if the ride system does some interesting terrain stuff I feel like that just more showy tech than actually making the ride experience fun. Less thrilling and less dark ride RSR just doesn’t seem like the move.

mickEblu

More like C ticket in D ticket clothing - it reminds me of 7 dwarves already. Which isn’t terrible - but I wish it was an E.

Looks like a D ticket experientially with E ticket scale to me. But yeah 7 Dwarfs crossed my mind too. Low thrill. Not a lot of show scenes. But at least 7 Dwarfs doesn’t take up so much room and didn’t replace the ROA.

Last edited:

Chef idea Mickey`=

Soooooooo the width of the filled in lower ROA is the same as the space between Tomorrowland walkway and the railroad tracks.

I bet this was proposed to replace the speedway and then moved for…. Reasons?
While a futuristic / Greater Speedway would make sense at the Tomorrowland site, this would make sense too how in a way if you wanted to theme it and hide off by surrounding things such as Tron, Space Mountain with the Mountain hence The East Coast Matterhorn or "Materhorn get it"!

DisneyHead123

Neither one makes sense in terms of literal theming, because neither one represents the American frontier (in the era and style that the original Frontierland was meant to convey.)

In terms of vibe, I think Coco would have been a much better choice. I guess my thought is - where would I rather go for a weekend getaway? Old Town San Diego, or a monster truck rally at a state park? (And maybe that sounds like hyperbole, but keep in mind that for a Cars ride, the focus is presumably on the cars. The ride is not “Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Forests”, its Cars, meaning presumably the vehicles are the centerpiece and the nature is background. So I don’t think a big car event in a park is that far off.)

I get that Cars may have more appeal to kids, but I don’t think the charm factor is there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom