News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

James Alucobond

I just don't know why you think they'd pick an ill-fitting national forest theme in Tomorrowland (a theme for which Cars is not at all known) and then hide it from almost anywhere other than the PeopleMover when the Cars franchise is actually a more natural fit for a traditional speedway environment that would be way easier to implement on the existing Speedway plot. It's a complete contortion of a theory. The deep cut from Planes: Fire & Rescue would so clearly not be their first choice of setting.

JD80

There are autonomous driving vehicles today too... yet you're not going to find Disney operating them as an attraction. Just because a ride company has shown concepts doesn't make it viable nor up to the scrutiny of an operator to put it into use.

Note that article is from 2017 - 7 years ago and no actual installations of it. Coincidence???
As someone who deploys and is a system designer for autonomous mobile robots, the can be done outdoors easily enough. Just depends on speed and reliability.

The autonomous driving vehicles you think you are referencing are not what they would do here.

Nothing in this system would be autonomous, it would be an AGV.

JD80

Disney's language says "race across."
They don't say "high speed."
I'm actually concerned these vehicles are simply going to plod along at kiddy safe speeds.

Typical commercial autonomous or guided vehicles (indoors) operate at top speeds of around 4 mph which is basically a brisk walk from an average person.

Basically the top speeds you see in Remy or Rise.

TrainsOfDisney

I just don't know why you think they'd pick an ill-fitting national forest theme in Tomorrowland
I never said it was the exact same concept - obviously we don’t know how this thing actually developed. It is a similar size space and I could see the concept working there - especially if they wanted to recreate the transition that works so well in California.

And yes, I would much rather cars replace speedway - so I would personally prefer that too!

James Alucobond

I never said it was the exact same concept
That's what I assumed and was responding to based on your earlier comment about Piston Peak perhaps being intended as a transitional element between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland—that you expected the same setting and concept. That's what I disagree with, not that Cars has been considered for the Speedway in the past. I don't think this is a lift-and-shift of advanced-stage plans.

Kamikaze

And why do you think that is?
Its always been true. MK is inferior to DL in everything except physical scale.
Why does MK lose the things DLR still has?
Toad? What else? (excluding RoA and TSI).
Why have entertainment and character meet and greets been reduced to the bare minimum? Why did all the unique stores close?
Both are true for DLR as well.
Why has the park gone long stretches without major investment?
Excluding times when there were extenuating circumstances (post 9/11 and post great recession), it really hasn't.
Why is there abandoned retail and dining space?
Same at DL.
Why did they never finish what they started with Tomorrowland?
Actually worse at DL.
Why is attraction show quality so bad?
Disneyland also has show issues, but mostly off attraction.
The Magic Kingdom just needing to be good enough to get people in the door is the result of a permanent change in mindset that has lasted for decades now.

It should be exciting and wonderful that the park is getting attention, but it misses what made the park in the first place.
Because people show up no matter what. Thats why. Its not that hard to figure out.

TrainsOfDisney

Both are true for DLR as well.
Characters meets and entertainment are much more abundant in Disneyland Park vs. Magic Kingdom. Yes there have been cuts at DL, but MK is indeed operating close to the bare minimum at this point.
Same at DL.
What dining venues? Only one that I know of is BBQ and that was replaced with a QS in galaxies edge.

Gusey

For anyone worried about the train disappearing, there is a train in Piston Peak National Park, which the new area will be inspired by. At the end of the video, you can see the mountain range and the lodge from the overhead concept art:

1725214749619.png

Chef idea Mickey`=

Yes, off roading is mostly done at a slow pace.
Even a crawl.
Though this ride is supposed to be a Rallye Race, and those racers are fast.
Maybe there are different speeds depending where what place you're at. I would assume the biggest race speed be when flat racing straight like TT or RSR or just turn moments. Perhaps the thrill of this attraction is the unknown of when you'll be pushed to high speeds or not making wanting to hold on to the vehicle even in those cliffs more so than Test Track inside.

CoasterCowboy67

MK is inferior to DL in everything except physical scale.
To me, the scale is what dooms the Disneyland experience. Far too condensed for anything to feel immersive. Feels like I’m in a cute, miniature version of a theme park, with no space or transitions — and that’s saying something given MK brings in more people. Would rather lose some of the rides to have more inmersion

I also grew up with MK and then later visited DLR more when I lived in California. Disneyland never felt as magical. Starting with the tiny castle

BuzzedPotatoHead89

To me, the scale is what dooms the Disneyland experience. Far too condensed for anything to feel immersive. Feels like I’m in a cute, miniature version of a theme park, with no space or transitions — and that’s saying something given MK brings in more people. Would rather lose some of the rides to have more inmersion
Interesting. Which specific transitions would you say are more abrupt at Disneyland compared to Magic Kingdom?

I’ll agree on the castle. That is definitely a point for MK.

flynnibus

Premium Member
As someone who deploys and is a system designer for autonomous mobile robots, the can be done outdoors easily enough. Just depends on speed and reliability.

The autonomous driving vehicles you think you are referencing are not what they would do here.

Nothing in this system would be autonomous, it would be an AGV.

Correct- autonomous vehicles are even MORE advanced. The point was just because this has been ‘seen’ in a real demo doesn’t make it viable for the situation at hand…. Just like autonomous and ‘self driving’ vehicles are a thing - that doesn’t make them Disney theme park attraction ready.

How many autonomous mobile robots have you deployed that put a dozen or so lives at risk in case of a single system failure? How many have you designed that will actually carry loads on free range platform in excesses of 30mph?

I think you can agree the standards change when the system is not just playing with risk of injury- but risk to customers and the escalation of potential serious harm.

DisneyHead123

For those who want to say “some people don’t like change” - and “modern cars can fit fomrtierland” - here’s some thoughts from Joe Rohde -

“The real world is brutally amoral and relentless in its rate of destruction and replacement. There are few refuges from this assault. Theme parks, at their best, can be such places, secular though they are. People step out of the chaos and into an ordered ceremonial world where time is arrested. Beloved important moments are re-enacted in a space that is outside of history.

That's why it's such a shock when time intrudes, either with changes, or more tellingly with new events that are too anchored in contemporary relevance.”

I am somewhat sympathetic to this ride, as my son might enjoy it (Although I never know what to expect with his sensory issues. Tomorrowland Speedway he loves. Those little cars in malls that you put a quarter in he finds terrifying. Barnstormer? Loves. Peter Pan? Terrifying. Huge tall slides… loves. Figment… terrifying. So who knows?)

Even so, I am in total agreement that Cars seems like an ambiance killer. As I’ve said elsewhere, best case scenario is tons of beautiful nature scenes with minimal Cars visible from the outside. But even then, Cars seems like it should be off to the side like Storybook Circus, or in HS. If there are enough scenic elements to obscure the Cars somewhat, it will presumably create a sort of visual wall, unlike the open feel of RoA. If you can still gaze out across the park, I think the Cars themselves will have to be a primary part of the visual scene. I’m just having a really hard time picturing this.

Miru

To this end, I feel like the Josh D’Amaro approach of announcing attractions once everything has been cleared feels much more slimy than just announcing them when they’re blue sky, as it gives the impression there’s no way we can change their minds and no way to tell when they’ll come about and replace things. (Still not as slimy as how they replaced ODL Scary Adventures at least, but maybe in the future they’ll go down to that level). It’s probably the sliminess of it all that has so many people angry.

DisneyHead123

To this end, I feel like the Josh D’Amaro approach of announcing attractions once everything has been cleared feels much more slimy than just announcing them when they’re blue sky, as it gives the impression there’s no way we can change their minds and no way to tell when they’ll come about and replace things. (Still not as slimy as how they replaced ODL Scary Adventures at least, but maybe in the future they’ll go down to that level). It’s probably the sliminess of it all that has so many people angry.

Was it fully cleared and planned though? I was kinda upset for the opposite reason… I was under the impression that they said “Let’s do Coco Village wait too expensive jk let’s switch to Cars at the last possible second.”

To me, that gives the impression that not a lot of thought was put into this and they kind of spun the Wheel Of IP to see what would replace an iconic American landmark. If they’re replacing it I’d rather think painstaking pre-planning and design happened.

Incomudro

Maybe there are different speeds depending where what place you're at. I would assume the biggest race speed be when flat racing straight like TT or RSR or just turn moments. Perhaps the thrill of this attraction is the unknown of when you'll be pushed to high speeds or not making wanting to hold on to the vehicle even in those cliffs more so than Test Track inside.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing.
The highest speeds would likely be reserved for the straightaways which likely would include the run to the finish line.
It's more interesting - especially for a Disney ride, to not go flat out all the time.
Saving bursts of speed for particular moments is best.

James Alucobond

Uh, yeah, that's not the purpose of D23. It's not a fan advisory council for what rides go where, what IP is or isn't used, and what gets preserved. There is nothing "slimy" about it. It's a series of announcements. You are not entitled to a say in the design process, nor would it be good for most fans to have any real say if most of the suggestions you see out in the ether are any indication. Your opportunity to effect change is when you opt to either consume or not consume Disney's product, or when you take advantage of one of the many ways to submit feedback, which they, as a for-profit company, will either take into consideration or ignore based on what they think is best for their bottom line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom