News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

October82

The agreement is a zoning initiative for the next 40 years. We can’t compare that to what is yet announced for WDW in that time period
That was my original understanding as well, but the agreement Disney made in order to get the zoning changes actually requires them to spend $1.9 billion on attractions built west of Disneyland Drive over the next 10 years.

CoasterCowboy67

That was my original understanding as well, but the agreement Disney made in order to get the zoning changes actually requires them to spend $1.9 billion on attractions built west of Disneyland Drive over the next 10 years.
10 years is still a long while. We don’t have a 10 year blue sky rendering for WDW to compare DL Forward to

I'll give you that, but at least Disneyland has an excuse, they don't have the "blessing of size" that wdw has. WDW shouldn't be replacing opening day attractions when they have all this land. Sure a few small replacements like the petting zoo or a gift shop in Toon town is ok but the entire ROA? Look, I hope WDI creates some of the greatest attractions ever with this and I hope the landscape rivals and exceeds the current ROA but if it doesn't they'll rightfully never hear the end of it.
I don’t think we can just expect WDW to sprawl when it has backstage facilitates to service the existing ride lineup. You need to adjust all of that. And the cost benefit of doing that vs. replacing an area with little usage isn’t as easy a decision as that

Starship824

In the Parks
No
I don’t think we can just expect WDW to sprawl when it has backstage facilitates to service the existing ride lineup. You need to adjust all of that. And the cost benefit of doing that vs. replacing an area with little usage isn’t as easy a decision as that
Yes we can, they've done it for years and they have no excuse except for "we don't want to spend the money". I just hate the direction of where things are going that everything needs to make money and everything that doesn't needs to go. Not everything in the park needs to make money. They make plenty of it regardless.

TrainsOfDisney

Are we really considering the last 2 as attractions? I feel like there is a heavy dose of grasping at straws at the moment purely driven to make a point.
Is alien saucers more of an attraction than the honey I shrunk playground?

I’m not trying to grasp at straws - with studios the park did not expand attraction wise - and that’s the park that needed it the most.

October82

So in the same 10 years DL is getting 1.9B, WDW is getting 4x as much

The point people are making is that DLR is receiving new attractions and areas for each dollar spent - the total amount will be well in excess of $2 billion, this is a minimum they’re committing to publicly, not a maximum or inclusive of the roughly $1 billion they already committed to DCA expansion - while WDW is largely seeing replacements of existing attractions.

That’s not an insignificant difference both from a guest perspective and an accounting one. Much of what Disney is spending in Florida amounts to expected spending as attractions reach end of life. What Disney is doing in Anaheim is constructing new areas, attractions, hotels, etc. on previously undeveloped land. WDW will no doubt see more investment simply because it’s larger. That doesn’t respond to the criticism people are making about WDW plans.

Maybe Disney has plans for DLR style expansion in Florida, but as of yet, the only thing they’ve shared is Villains. Which I wouldn’t be shocked to see a version of show up at DLR.

TrainsOfDisney

And still needs it.
Even more! The new attractions are popular and have brought more guests into the park but there is less to do and less space for them.

You potentially take muppets out as well!??

I’ll also mention that galaxies edge killed the larger fireworks shows as well - the Star Wars fireworks show was much more impressive than rise - yeah I said it! Haha

CoasterCowboy67

The point people are making is that DLR is receiving new attractions and areas for each dollar spent - the total amount will be well in excess of $2 billion, this is a minimum they’re committing to publicly, not a maximum or inclusive of the roughly $1 billion they already committed to DCA expansion - while WDW is largely seeing replacements of existing attractions.

That’s not an insignificant difference both from a guest perspective and an accounting one. Much of what Disney is spending in Florida amounts to expected spending as attractions reach end of life. What Disney is doing in Anaheim is constructing new areas, attractions, hotels, etc. on previously undeveloped land.

Maybe Disney has plans for that sort of thing in Florida, but as of yet, the only thing they’ve shared is Villains. Which I wouldn’t be shocked to see a version of show up at DLR.
But where are the actual concrete examples of this happening at DLR?! Coco is maybe the only net new attraction DLR is getting from D23, and again, they told us it’s not breaking ground until 2026. I will give it SWGE and Runaway Railway, but that’s all folks

Meanwhile HS got two extremely popular lands replacing show, a playground, a street and a sprawling / dated tram tour. Epcot got a net new ride in Remy and replaced a dated attraction with its most expensive ride ever in Guardians. Magic Kingdom got a net new roller coaster. Animal Kingdom is replacing a land that has long been despised as mistakes

I don’t get what we’re asking of WDW that DL is doing any differently. Anybody here talking about slapping in IP to two of DCA’s lands that makes zero sense with a park supposed to be about California?! DLR is nowhere near a shining example of good investment. Tokyo wins easily

October82

But where are the actual concrete examples of this happening at DLR?! Coco is maybe the only net new attraction DLR is getting from D23, and again, they told us it’s not breaking ground until 2026. I will give it SWGE and Runaway Railway, but that’s all folks

Meanwhile HS got two extremely popular lands replacing show, a playground, a street and a sprawling / dated tram tour. Epcot got a net new ride in Remy and replaced a dated attraction with its most expensive ride ever in Guardians. Magic Kingdom got a net new roller coaster. Animal Kingdom is replacing a land that has long been despised as mistakes

I don’t get what we’re asking of WDW that DL is doing any differently. Anybody here talking about slapping in IP to two of DCA’s lands that makes zero sense with a park supposed to be about California?! DLR is now where near a shining example of good investment. Tokyo wins easily
DCA is getting three new attractions:

1. coco
2. Avengers
3. Avatar

These are all being built in currently undeveloped expansion pads at DCA. You’re current that no new lands other than Galaxy’s Edge have been built at DLR - although that was also on a mostly undeveloped plot of land (petting zoo notwithstanding).

People aren’t wrong to wonder why WDW recently has been removing attractions rather than building on expansion pads. I agree with you that none of them fit at DCA - vouch for the superiority of Tokyo as far as theme goes - and would better be placed west of Disneyland Drive.

CoasterCowboy67

DCA is getting three new attractions:

1. coco
2. Avengers
3. Avatar

These are all being built in currently undeveloped expansion pads at DCA. You’re current that no new lands other than Galaxy’s Edge have been built at DLR - although that was also on a mostly undeveloped plot of land (petting zoo notwithstanding).

People aren’t wrong to wonder why WDW recently has been removing attractions rather than building on expansion pads.
Avengers is now finally a replacement for the entire Bugs Land they got rid of that had multiple attractions. That they’ve only now announced replacements for rides they shuttered many years ago is not a good thing, it’s a “finally!” And good luck on when it even opens

Avatar has to replace something and it’s likely the Monsters Inc ride. No chance they put a ride Of that scale without eating into existing land

October82

Avengers is now finally a replacement for the entire Bugs Land they got rid of that had multiple attractions. That they’ve only now announced replacements for rides they shuttered many years ago is not a good thing, it’s a “finally!” And good luck on when it even opens

Avatar has to replace something and it’s likely the Monsters Inc ride. No chance they put a ride Of that scale without eating into existing land
The current attractions at DCA replaced A Bugs Land - I’ll let others handle whether any of that was notable - while the two new attractions are on an expansion pad behind Guardians.

Avatar’s entry area will likely replace Monster’s with the attraction itself on the expansion pad where a current bus loading and unloading area is.

It’s not that there aren’t parallels in how Disney handles both resorts, but it really is the case that DLR receives attractions on expansion pads while WDW tends to replace existing areas on a more one for one basis. I don’t know if it reflects real differences in the corporations views of each resort, but I suspect this is because DLR is viewed as having more growth potential in terms of attracting new guests/extending stays. WDW is more about increasing average guest spend.

TrainsOfDisney

The current attractions at DCA replaced A Bugs Land - I’ll let others handle whether any of that was notable - while the two new attractions are on an expansion pad behind Guardians.
Tough to be a bug = Spider-Man - both are fun, neither are home runs.

I would say the rest of the land was equal to Tom Sawyer Island - a very charming area of the park that had some really fun activities for young kids. It was also a fairly quiet area that seemed tucked away (similar to Tom Sawyer).

So the loss was more charm and environment so it’s hard to gauge.

CoasterCowboy67

Avatar’s entry area will likely replace Monster’s with the attraction itself on the expansion pad where a current bus loading and unloading area is.

It’s not that there aren’t parallels in how Disney handles both resorts, but it really is the case that DLR receives attractions on expansion pads while WDW tends to replace existing areas on a more one for one basis. I don’t know if it reflects real differences in the corporations views of each resort, but I suspect this is because DLR is viewed as having more growth potential in terms of attracting new guests/extending stays. WDW is more about increasing average guest spend.
Bugs Land had many attractions and they only replaced it with Spider-Man to start + the promise of future attractions in the space. They’ve now announced those attractions but make no mistake they are replacements of what was Bugs Land

If your logic is true, then we count Guardians right? Using the existing space as an entrance and building a massive new show building for the ride in a previously unused parking space? Same with Encanto coming to DAK that will have a footprint much larger than Primeval Whirl?

Disstevefan1

Where is this idea coming from? The Blue Sky photos of Disneyland Forward with zero confirmed plans attached? It’s literally just SWGE and MMRR that have been net new expansions of land cross the entire CA resort
  • Avengers Campus and Guardians are replacements
  • Avatar is (likely) a replacement
  • Tiana is also a replacement
  • San Fransokyo was an IP re-skin
  • Pixar Pier all IP re-skins
Coco boat ride might be the only new addition announced for CA at D23 depending on where they put it. But it doesn’t even break ground until 2026

In the same time, FL also got SWGE as a net new addition, we got Remy’s as an addition, and Tron as a net new addition. Meanwhile at D23, we have a whole net new Villains land with 2 attractions and very likely to go down as its most popular recent land addition in over a decade. And still unclear re: Monsters’ location
Yes, I agree, the items you listed for Disneyland is garbage.

And I guess you are right, Disneyland forward will probably not happen in my lifetime.

Yes Remy and TRON were excellent additions. TRON was a dream come true for me as I will never go to China.

Its too bad The WOL pavilion and Stich remain closed.

Muppets will probably get destroyed for Monsters.

I am not in favor of destroying ROA, TSI and the riverboat but I am a weirdo.

As for SWGE, now you did it - I MISS THE OSBORNE LIGHTS! 😭😭😭😭😭😭

Last edited:

BuzzedPotatoHead89

This is very true, I think the company views WDW as “capped out” which is extremely odd given the “blessing of size”.

In addition to making sure the daily guest spending metrics go up - I predict part of the problem may be the average vacation time most Americans have as well and making sure no one park cannibalizes the other.

Disneyland is a smaller resort that “packs more of a punch” with locals but also out of towners that can be looking to spend more than a day in each park.

October82

Bugs Land had many attractions and they only replaced it with Spider-Man to start + the promise of future attractions in the space. They’ve now announced those attractions but make no mistake they are replacements of what was Bugs Land
The new Marvel attractions will be on a large expansion pad behind the park. I won’t comment on whether it makes sense to count replacing a collection of lightly themed flat rides with a collection of lightly themed industrial buildings an expansion or not, but it is clearly the case that the new attractions are additions and not replacements.

If your logic is true, then we count Guardians right? Using the existing space as an entrance and building a massive new show building for the ride in a previously unused parking space? Same with Encanto coming to DAK that will have a footprint much larger than Primeval Whirl?
I would say it’s similar to saying Spider-Man replaced A Bug’s Land, which seems fair. If Disney built a guardians land behind Energy, that would be a more accurate analogy to DLR’s current plans.

I’m not familiar enough with Encanto to speak to that. My point here is just to emphasize that there’s a lot of validity to what people have said about how Disney views expansion at each resort. DLR is mainly using expansion pads while WDW seems to be leaning towards true replacements.

DarkMetroid567

While this era began with Tower of Terror in the West and Great Movie Ride in the East - it’s now becoming more and more obvious how much we are losing. :-/
But the replacements can still be good! I was a Mission Breakout hater for a long time and it took me awhile to admit I enjoyed it more than DCA ToT and DLP ToT… hell, maybe even TDS ToT. It’s also nice to not have an inferior version of Twilight Zone.

Never got to ride GMR :( so can’t comment on how Runaway Railway compares

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom