News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

DisneyHead123

Back when they destroyed Horizons to build Mission Space, I really wanted both Horizons AND Mission Space, I rationalized back then that "couldn't afford" to add attractions.

Today I don't buy it.

A movie could cost hundreds of millions of dollars, they release it and its soon forgotten about, most lose money.

Attractions are with us for decades and decades and yes, there are costs related to operating in addition to the money spent to build it, but at the prices we pay that go up multiple times a year, and now "tickets to ride" are mow monetized, I feel they can afford it.

In WDW, they destroy and replace instead of expanding and WE STILL have prices increases on everything multiple times a year.

Meanwhile, Disneyland is actually expanding.

I don’t know… maybe, but I have no idea what the numbers look like. There is no 🤔 emoji in the response bar, so I’ll respond here…. 🤔

Disstevefan1

I don’t know… maybe, but I have no idea what the numbers look like. There is no 🤔 emoji in the response bar, so I’ll respond here…. 🤔
We know the movie costs and how much they lose on each movie.

You are right we don't know the theme park costs, but we do know what we pay and we know prices constantly goes up and we see offerings being taken away.

And we know they take very long to do stuff and that walls tend to be up for a long time.

CoasterCowboy67

Meanwhile, Disneyland is actually expanding.
Where is this idea coming from? The Blue Sky photos of Disneyland Forward with zero confirmed plans attached? It’s literally just SWGE and MMRR that have been net new expansions of land cross the entire CA resort
  • Avengers Campus and Guardians are replacements
  • Avatar is (likely) a replacement
  • Tiana is also a replacement
  • San Fransokyo was an IP re-skin
  • Pixar Pier all IP re-skins
Coco boat ride might be the only new addition announced for CA at D23 depending on where they put it. But it doesn’t even break ground until 2026

In the same time, FL also got SWGE as a net new addition, we got Remy’s as an addition, and Tron as a net new addition. Meanwhile at D23, we have a whole net new Villains land with 2 attractions and very likely to go down as its most popular recent land addition in over a decade. And still unclear re: Monsters’ location

Quietmouse

Where is this idea coming from? The Blue Sky photos of Disneyland Forward with zero confirmed plans attached? It’s literally just SWGE and MMRR that have been net new expansions of land cross the entire CA resort
Coco boat ride might be the only new addition announced for CA at D23 depending on where they put it. But it doesn’t even break ground until 2026

In the same time, FL also got SWGE as a net new addition, we got Remy’s as an addition, and Tron as a net new addition. Meanwhile at D23, we have a whole net new Villains land with 2 attractions and very likely to go down as its most popular recent land addition in over a decade. And still unclear re: Monsters’ location

Shhh 🤫 it destroys the everything is wrong and the sky is falling narrative.

Starship824

In the Parks
No

Galaxy's Edge and Toy story land both replaced the backlot tour and the streets of America. They were not net New editions. Villains land is replacing the rivers of America. I'll give you Tron.

Quietmouse

Galaxy's Edge and Toy story land both replaced the backlot tour and the streets of America. They were not net New editions. Villains land is replacing the rivers of America. I'll give you Tron.

Isn’t it a combination of cars and villains land ?

Cars land is supposed to feature 2 attractions and villains land is rumored to feature one coaster and one type of dark (boat ? ) ride.

Say bare minimum 4 attractions, that still outweighed the boat (1 attraction) going in a circle and visiting an island with nothing really to do (2nd attraction).

Starship824

In the Parks
No
Isn’t it a combination of cars and villains land ?

Cars land is supposed to feature 2 attractions and villains land is rumored to feature one coaster and one type of dark (boat ? ) ride.

Say bare minimum 4 attractions, that still outweighed the boat (1 attraction) going in a circle and visiting an island with nothing really to do (2nd attraction).
Doesn't change the fact that it's still not a pure addition and is replacing 2 attractions

CoasterCowboy67

The backlot tour that closed a decade ago? That is now 4 net new attractions? Thats a net new add

Villains is going in the back and net new in an area equivalent to SWGR at DL. Cars is what is replacing ROA, and I did not count it

BuzzedPotatoHead89

It’s very simple - if a new addition adds guest usable acreage to the park then it’s an addition. If it replaced an existing attraction that was used by guests that is a replacement but not an “addition” in the traditional sense even if it may have additive benefits in terms of revenue, interest, etc.

Backstage areas that were for back of office staff are not guest facing and traditionally not factored into park acreage.

Quietmouse

backlot tour, lights motors, theatre, shrunk the kids playground and streets of America.

Technically that’s 4 attractions plus a themed area which hosted one of the most popular holiday attractions.

Are we really considering the last 2 as attractions? I feel like there is a heavy dose of grasping at straws at the moment purely driven to make a point.

CoasterCowboy67

Are we really considering the last 2 as attractions? I feel like there is a heavy dose of grasping at straws at the moment purely driven to make a point.
Don’t worry about it. People will grasp at whatever they want to further a narrative. Not counting Toy Story Land and SWGE as significant net new adds to Hollywood Studios makes that clear. Unclear they even Remy counted to them lol

It’s ok, fact still holds DL hasn't been some poster child for net new additions compared to WDW, and D23 didn’t change that

October82

I was also very skeptical of their intentions, but Disney has made commitments to the city of Anaheim that require them to develop the DisneylandForward areas with attractions.

Whether the new areas will be ticketed separately, how much of it will be new attractions vs other uses, and the timeline of the development are less certain.

DCA is also receiving two new Marvel attractions and the consensus on the DLR forum is that Coco likely goes behind the Pixar Pier Boardwalk in current backstage areas. Avatar will also be a true expansion, with the rerouting of the monorail beam and expansion into current bus drop off areas. Current areas will be demolished to facilitate access to the expansion pad. I wouldn’t call that a replacement but there are some parallels to how development at WDW is done.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
The backlot tour that closed a decade ago? That is now 4 net new attractions? Thats a net new add

Villains is going in the back and net new in an area equivalent to SWGR at DL. Cars is what is replacing ROA, and I did not count it
Villains is taking over the back half of the river.
What a weird way of putting it.
True lol
Lol ok. Then let me take back SWGE as a net new add for DL given it replaced the Big Thunder Ranch. MMRR replaced gift shops, so we won’t count that either

Guess DL didn’t have any net new additions either
I'll give you that, but at least Disneyland has an excuse, they don't have the "blessing of size" that wdw has. WDW shouldn't be replacing opening day attractions when they have all this land. Sure a few small replacements like the petting zoo or a gift shop in Toon town is ok but the entire ROA? Look, I hope WDI creates some of the greatest attractions ever with this and I hope the landscape rivals and exceeds the current ROA but if it doesn't they'll rightfully never hear the end of it.

CoasterCowboy67

I was also very skeptical of their intentions, but Disney has made commitments to the city of Anaheim that require them to develop the DisneylandForward areas with attractions.

Whether the new areas will be ticketed separately, how much of it will be new attractions vs other uses, and the timeline of the development are less certain.
The agreement is a zoning initiative for the next 40 years. We can’t compare that to what is yet announced for WDW in that time period

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom