News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

October82

But the replacements can still be good! I was a Mission Breakout hater for a long time and it took me awhile to admit I enjoyed it more than DCA ToT and DLP ToT… hell, maybe even TDS ToT. It’s also nice to not have an inferior version of Twilight Zone.
I have never understood the desire to compare attractions across resorts like this. The majority of guests will never visit more than one resort, and even those that do will most often only be making one trip to the other domestic resort. Even if the “better tower” was at WDW that doesn’t detract from the excellent attraction that was the DCA version.

I personally find Mission Breakout a very poor experience. It’s DCA’s Transformers attraction and that’s not a compliment.

Of course, replacements can be good. It helps when budgets allow purpose built buildings or ride systems and there’s creative fit with their lands or parks. WDW’s guardians, for example, is a good attraction in the wrong park. For what it will be, I expect Cars in MK will also be a fine ride.

Last edited:

CoasterCowboy67

The new Marvel attractions will be on a large expansion pad behind the park. I won’t comment on whether it makes sense to count replacing a collection of lightly themed flat rides with a collection of lightly themed industrial buildings an expansion or not, but it is clearly the case that the new attractions are additions and not replacements.

I would say it’s similar to saying Spider-Man replaced A Bug’s Land, which seems fair. If Disney built a guardians land behind Energy, that would be a more accurate analogy to DLR’s current plans.

I’m not familiar enough with Encanto to speak to that. My point here is just to emphasize that there’s a lot of validity to what people have said about how Disney views expansion at each resort. DLR is mainly using expansion pads while WDW seems to be leaning towards true replacements.
The 3 total Avengers attractions (Spiderman, Multiverse, and Flight Lab) came at the expense of a 3D show (ITTBAB), 3 flat rides, a kid’s train ride, and a playground. Yes the new Multiverse attraction uses additional backstage space, but the fact is the 3 rides came at the expense of 5, not counting the playground as I don’t count Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground as a ride loss in DHS either

The Multiverse attraction using additional space is equivalent to Cosmic Rewind, the Encanto ride, and almost certainly the Door Coaster, since even if it needs to replace Muppets, the ride will almost certainly require a massive show building that uses up backstage space

So no, DL is not doing more on expanding the park than WDW. People are ignoring what it has needed to replace, and ignoring the IP re-skin horror show they’ve created in DCA where the park has barely to do with California anymore. I’m waiting for them to announce it being renamed to Adventure World

lazyboy97o

To be fair, the closing of the VOID VR attractions in the Disney Parks is a whole interconnected rabbit hole that involves stolen tombstones, parasocial relationships, hushed workplace incidents, an overeager CEO, and the closure of a theme park in Utah. There are multiple 3+ hour videos dissecting the various instances of malpractice and mishap.
It’s actually not that complicated. Disney pulled their license because they tried to use it as collateral during the pandemic. They don’t have any venues open but are still in business. Evermore also only finally closed rather recently.

October82

The 3 total Avengers attractions (Spiderman, Multiverse, and Flight Lab) came at the expense of a 3D show (ITTBAB), 3 flat rides, a kid’s train ride, and a playground. Yes the new Multiverse attraction uses additional backstage space, but the fact is the 3 rides came at the expense of 5, not counting the playground as I don’t count Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground as a ride loss in DHS either

The Multiverse attraction using additional space is equivalent to Cosmic Rewind, the Encanto ride, and almost certainly the Door Coaster, since even if it needs to replace Muppets, the ride will almost certainly require a massive show building that uses up backstage space

So no, DL is not doing more on expanding the park than WDW. People are ignoring what it has needed to replace, and ignoring the IP re-skin horror show they’ve created in DCA where the park has barely to do with California anymore. I’m waiting for them to announce it being renamed to Adventure World
People aren’t ignoring any of that. There’s just a substantive difference between attractions on expansion pads or replacing flat rides (while we are counting, one went to Pixar pier) and IP reskins of existing lands. Which Disney has also done in California.

DHS does need more attractions too.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Of course, replacements can be good. It helps when budgets allow purpose built buildings or ride systems and there’s creative fit with their lands or parks. WDW’s guardians, for example, is a good attraction in the wrong park. For what it will be, I expect Cars in MK will also be a fine ride.
I’d also argue that MMRR is a good attraction in the wrong place (even if it is in the right park). If it went to animation courtyard, no problem. Replacing the thesis statement for DHS - not so much.

CoasterCowboy67

People aren’t ignoring any of that. There’s just a substantive difference between attractions on expansion pads or replacing flat rides (while we are counting, one went to Pixar pier) and IP reskins of existing lands. Which Disney has also done in California.

DHS does need more attractions too.
lol what?! This entire thread is people enraged about replacing 2 attractions that aren’t even flat rides with queues (they’re a scenic boat and an island playground) with 2 Cars attractions and 2 “major” attractions in Villains?

How is that not as “bad” (or “good” if you’re a fan of what DLR did) than losing a 3D show, 3 flat rides and a kids train ride?

BTW, the ride that went to Pixar Pier is in a spot another attraction used to be (Maliboomer)

Last edited:

AidenRodriguez731

I’d also argue that MMRR is a good attraction in the wrong place (even if it is in the right park). If it went to animation courtyard, no problem. Replacing the thesis statement for DHS - not so much.
I would argue GMR was one of those rides that was taken out with a two birds, one stone situation. It was maintained not very well, was expensive to replace, and the deals on some of the movies featured were probably costing money so they decided to just take it out. Honestly wonder if they could do a new GMR centered around more traditional Disney IP or bring back Muppets GMR...

October82

lol what?! This entire thread is people enraged about replacing 2 attractions that aren’t even flat rides with queues (they’re a scenic boat and an island playground) with 2 Cars attractions and 2 “major” attractions in Villains?

How is that not as “bad” (or “good” if you’re a fan of what DLR did) than losing a 3D show, 3 flat rides and a kids train ride?
The RoA and the riverboat are a core part of the thematic cohesion of a good chunk of the MK. That’s what people are talking about losing and very different from anything done at DCA. (Although there are parallels with ToT)

I’d invite you to reread the thread if you think “attraction count” is the relevant point of contention for many people in this thread. That said, the WDW parks probably all need added capacity - which expansion rather than replacement could deliver. People aren’t wrong to point that out even if that isn’t the root problem for Cars in Frontierland.

I’d also be remiss in not pointing out that Villains isn’t going on the RoA plot. It’s Cars that is replacing the RoA - bad faith arguments about operational concerns notwithstanding.

Last edited:

October82

I would argue GMR was one of those rides that was taken out with a two birds, one stone situation. It was maintained not very well, was expensive to replace, and the deals on some of the movies featured were probably costing money so they decided to just take it out. Honestly wonder if they could do a new GMR centered around more traditional Disney IP or bring back Muppets GMR...
GMR is a weird one - it seemed tailor made for a Great Disney Movie Ride redo.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Have you seen Flik’s Fun Fair in comparison to RoA? We’re talking about off the shelf Zamperla carnival spinners here, which while more semi-artfully themed weren’t even opening day attractions that were added during Eisner’s austerity era to boost DCA’s “family ride” count. Not saying AC in its current state is better, just that it’s not likely to be “felt” in terms of park losses.

The problem with losing the river is about the elements of theme park design. And the intentionality of the entire theme and place making of the left side of the park which are purpose-built and designed to be adjacent the large body of water.

Now, as a theme this is not to say WDW’s current Frontierland can’t be improved or even totally razed and I’m actually of the opinion maybe it should be to differentiate the domestic park offerings anyway. But it also could be nothing more than a perverse incentive to add more lightning lane and merchandisable (money generating) attractions at the expense of themed place making.

gorillaball

WDW is run by the accountants.

With a stroke of a pen, they put a line through something and poof, it’s gone.

Sorcerer Mickey is powerless compared to the accountants and their spreadsheets.

Could you imagine if Disney ran their movie business like they ran their theme parks?
Accountants don’t make decisions like that. If you want to say “Finance” people I’ll let it slide.

CoasterCowboy67

The RoA and the riverboat are a core part of the thematic cohesion of a good chunk of the MK. That’s what people are talking about losing and very different from anything done at DCA.

I’d invite you to reread the thread if you think “attraction count” is the relevant point of contention for many people in this thread. That said, the WDW parks probably all need added capacity - which expansion rather than replacement could deliver. People aren’t wrong to point that out even if that isn’t the root problem for Cars in Frontierland.

I’d also be remiss in not pointing out that Villains isn’t going on the RoA plot. It’s Cars that is replacing the RoA - bad faith arguments about operational concerns notwithstanding.
The goal post is moving, and even then, there yet to be a coherent argument for something that DLR is doing that WDW isn’t also doing. Whether it’s attraction count, unused in-park space, thematic significance, or expansion pads utilized

October82

The goal post is moving, and even then, there yet to be a coherent argument for something that DLR is doing that WDW isn’t also doing. Whether it’s attraction count, unused in-park space, thematic significance, or expansion pads utilized

Not at all. I responded to your claim about expansions vs replacements. DLR is mostly planning new attractions on expansion pads. WDW is mostly replacing existing attractions. DLR has done a bit of both in the past - no one is ignoring that. It’s still interesting that the two resorts seem to have different business strategies.

The main arguments in this thread aren’t about that topic. Perhaps there was miscommunication but you seem to have responded to the expansion vs replacement aspect rather than the more substantive part of this thread on thematic cohesion.

In any case, this seems to have run its course. The bottom line for me, and for others, is that WDW deserves a more thorough and thoughtful expansion than it’s getting.

Disstevefan1

Accountants don’t make decisions like that. If you want to say “Finance” people I’ll let it slide.
OK Finance people.

Everyone knows the fights Walt and Roy had. Walt wanted to do stuff and Roy was constantly pushing back about the finances. Lucky for us, Walt won most of those fights.

Today there are no fights. The "Finance people" run the theme parks.

Could you image Roy telling Walt they could save money if they filled in rivers of America! LOL, LOL, LOL.

CoasterCowboy67

DLR is mostly planning new attractions on expansion pads. WDW is mostly replacing existing attractions.
This is false, as I’ve repeatedly stated. You’re counting Multiverse as an expansion pad and ignoring the many rides at Bugs Land it replaced. Similarly, you count Guardians as a replacement and ignoring the expansion pad Disney utilized for its massive show building.

That is what I mean by the goalpost moving, as the definition of attraction replacement and expansion pad is being used out of convenience to advance a narrative the sky is falling on WDW and DLR is sunshine and rainbows

October82

This is false, as I’ve repeatedly stated. You’re counting Multiverse as an expansion pad and ignoring the many rides at Bugs Land it replaced. Similarly, you count Guardians as a replacement and ignoring the expansion pad Disney utilized for its massive show building.

That is what I mean by the goalpost moving, as the definition of attraction replacement and expansion pad is being used out of convenience to advance a narrative the sky is falling on WDW and DLR is sunshine and rainbows
No one is ignoring those things, and even if they were, that’s not moving the goal posts.

TrainsOfDisney

hey, if it makes you feel better I’m extremely disappointed about losing red car trolley - so no Disneyland isn’t getting it right all the time either.

I’m also 100% against mission breakout out there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom